U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2014, 06:15 PM

107 posts, read 127,528 times

Advertisements

Has anyone ever used Craigslist to find a roommate? My concern is safety. Moving in with someone I don't know. Someone suggested it and I wanted to get others opinions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2014, 08:35 PM

2,108 posts, read 3,589,994 times
If this is your only option, make sure you run a credit and especially a criminal check on the potential roommate...good luck!

Old 01-06-2014, 09:03 PM

Not my only option...just an idea.

Old 01-06-2014, 09:28 PM

1,508 posts, read 2,481,605 times
I did several times, back around 2004-2005 when CraigsList was still a bit "underground" and mostly geeky and intelligent people. Now that it is full of whackos and scammers I would advise being more careful and probably ignore any inquiry that sounds even a bit fishy.

Old 01-06-2014, 10:21 PM

oh i will. as i said its just an idea. not sure yet. i graduate next may. i am working full time and going to school. so i am doing my research on my school breaks. i really like the arboretum apartments (had my contact with cmpd run the address) its safe. its a lil over 700 a month. i can afford that. the roommate was just an idea a friend gave me. but anyway enough ramblin. Thanks for the input. I appreciate your comment.

Old 01-06-2014, 10:55 PM

1,846 posts, read 3,771,650 times
There are other roommate sites you can use, just google for them. I would go that route over craigslist.

Old 01-07-2014, 09:56 AM

I found roommate.com after i posted this. i will look for others as well. thank you.

Old 01-07-2014, 10:47 AM

838 posts, read 656,323 times
Hate to break it to you but someone with a good credit score and pretty much any employment aren't in the market for a roommate. Roommates are people who you divide living expenses with, not someone you're processing for a job, loan, or lease..

When you consider how the credit system actually works it's also a stupid metric to use in anything but a lease or loan.. It's actually the logical downfall of a lot of infrastructure in America..

A more intelligent suggestion: Meet them somewhere public and see how they communicate and dress and verify their employment with check stubs..

Old 01-07-2014, 10:53 AM

249 posts, read 426,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJJT View Post
Hate to break it to you but someone with a good credit score and pretty much any employment aren't in the market for a roommate. Roommates are people who you divide living expenses with, not someone you're processing for a job, loan, or lease..

When you consider how the credit system actually works it's also a stupid metric to use in anything but a lease or loan.. It's actually the logical downfall of a lot of infrastructure in America..

A more intelligent suggestion: Meet them somewhere public and see how they communicate and dress.
Not true at all. I have a credit score > 800 and several years ago, I was in the market for a roommate so financially responsible, non-leveraged renters do exist. I found my roommate back then by answering an ad in the Charlotte Observer. Credit score is at least a way to see if your potential roommate has the inclination to pay his bills. Doesn't have any bearing on personality compatibility, which you alude to in your last sentence so I agree that you would need to meet prior to renting to determine compatibility.

Old 01-07-2014, 10:57 AM

11,802 posts, read 9,391,643 times
You never know how a roommate situation will work out until you live with them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or