U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2007, 10:32 PM

1,242 posts, read 3,663,113 times

Advertisements

Would it be hard on a child to be learning their Christian views with going to church on Sunday at a Catholic church and receiving the sacraments? I guess I just don't know the differences and wouldn't want to confuse them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2007, 10:35 PM

1,166 posts, read 3,544,547 times
One more school that I know something of and have been impressed with is Charlotte Preparatory School located on Boyce Road quite near Charlotte Christian. For a couple of years, I worked with a group of French engineers whose children all attended this school.They were all quite pleased with the quality of the education their children were receiving and with the multicultural environment of the school community. Yet, another school I would investigate today.

Old 11-27-2007, 10:36 PM

Default Oh and another...

What schools are the hardest to get into?

Do most kids stick with the same school from K-12th?

Old 11-27-2007, 10:49 PM

Default BarbJ

I never heard of Charlotte Preparatory School. It looks like a really nice school with lots of laughter and happy faces. The pictures of all their fun events is really cool.

I actually kind of like that it only goes to 8th grade. I don't really like the idea of having a child be with the same exact class from K-12. It just seems to much and I think they can get too comfortable. I know for me starting 9th grade in a new school with a whole new group of kids really helped me grow.

Old 11-28-2007, 07:45 AM

24 posts, read 85,826 times
Hello, as someone who is in the process of relocating to Charlotte and is currently going through the application process for two of the schools I wanted to share some of our experiences.

First, we visited Charlotte Country Day--it was highly recommended to us by friends and family. We were very impressed with the admissions director and her friendliness. We thought the classrooms were very nice for TK and K. However, the rest of the facilities did not wow us. The buildings were all drab and had no character. I am sure the tuition parents are paying are going then to the quality of the teachers. That is always most important. The disappointing part of CCD is that we never received any communication after our visit. We didn't feel that they cared either way that we just drove down 6 hours from DC to visit their school because it was highly recommended and they were our first choice based on what we heard.

Charlotte Prep has a beautiful campus, teachers seem impressive and very nice, classrooms are beautiful and the kids overall from what we could see from TK to eighth grade -- very smart! However, the school is not run by a board of directors but one person. That concerns us. I am sure he or she is a very nice person but we feel that a school should have a governing body. Also, while on the tour the director, who seems very nice threw around too many psych theories to justify their education practices. It wasn't needed it was clear the kids receive a great education and finally, we didn't receive any correspondence. To us that matters when you're considering paying over $13k for TK or K.

Providence Day and Charlotte--extremely impressive! Both schools wowed us with everything. Both schools also sent us correspondence and responded to our calls and emails promptly.

Both have a waiting list and we HOPE our daughter has a spot in either one.

By the way, the Charlotte Association of Independent Schools makes the application process to more than one independent school much easier. I applaud who ever came up with that idea!

I hope this helps. By the way, being a family of two faiths we decided to not visit any of the religious schools but Charlotte Christian and Trinity Episcopal were both highly recommended by locals to us.

Best of luck!

Old 11-28-2007, 09:39 AM

Default thanks

I obvioulsy have a lot of research to do but this is exactly what I wanted all types of views!

I hope your kids get into the school you want. Good luck with the move as well! It is wonderful down here!

Old 11-28-2007, 09:49 AM

1,166 posts, read 3,544,547 times
I'm glad to hear that you will look into the Friends school. I know the people who are involved in its establishment and they have thought long and hard about how to make it a great educational, cultural and spiritual experience for its students.

Old 11-28-2007, 12:42 PM

45,270 posts, read 88,346,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJPost32 View Post
Would it be hard on a child to be learning their Christian views with going to church on Sunday at a Catholic church and receiving the sacraments? I guess I just don't know the differences and wouldn't want to confuse them.
Actually, it was not confusing for my son at all - and he is a much stronger Christian now that he actually studies the Bible. This is where the Catholic Church lets its youth down, there is not enough Bible study.

Old 11-28-2007, 12:45 PM

45,270 posts, read 88,346,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarbJ View Post
I'm glad to hear that you will look into the Friends school. I know the people who are involved in its establishment and they have thought long and hard about how to make it a great educational, cultural and spiritual experience for its students.
My 15 year old nephew has gone to a Friends School for 10 years now. I am continually impressed with the atmosphere and tone set at his school and the way the children are nurtured. The only problem I would personally have with sending my child to one is that I do not believe in pacifism, something very dear to the Friends.

Old 11-28-2007, 12:54 PM

Default lovesmountains

You are right I did not learn anything about the bible until I reached HS and I went to Catholic schools from K-8th!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte