U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2007, 12:57 PM

42 posts, read 152,482 times

Advertisements

Latin is head and shoulders above the rest. Country Day and Providence Day are distant seconds.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2007, 01:01 PM

1,166 posts, read 3,544,547 times
Although we are not Jewish, my daughter attended preschool at the old Temple Israel Preschool on Morehead. Granted she was very young (3-5years) none of us had a problem with religious aspects of the school. We used to light Friday night candles and said the prayers because she wanted to. As far as I am concerned it was a great lesson in religious tolerance for our whole family. She went on to Country Day and had was pleased to see many of her Temple Israel classmates in her class. We feel that this early experience probably contributed to the broadminded, socially active person she is today.

It may, of course, have been different had she continued on to the Hebrew Day School where there would have been a conflict between her family's beliefs and those taught at school. We'll never know!

Old 11-28-2007, 01:06 PM

1,242 posts, read 3,663,113 times
Default haha.

I think some sort of religion or spirituality is so important to really young children.

Old 11-28-2007, 01:55 PM

2 posts, read 4,781 times
Default private schools

While I know CCDS and Latin are great ... you should investigate Charlotte Preparatory School (Browser Not Supported).

They have their act together. Great teachers, beautiful campus and it's a tight community ... unlike some of the larger schools, where your child might get lost in a sea of 1,000 people. Their enrollment is less than 500 and everyone knows everyone.

I sent three kids there and we love the school. Give it a look.

SJ

Old 11-28-2007, 05:16 PM

Default cllifer1950

Where did they go for high school? I really like what I have seen of that school esp. how diverse it is.

Did they find it hard to go to a different school without their class? Was it easy for them to get into the HS they wanted?

Old 11-28-2007, 08:34 PM

72 posts, read 199,869 times
For what it's worth, let me give you a younger adult/former teenager's view on the issue. Growing up, I went to a church very close to Providence Day, so a large portion of the kids I knew attended the school, as well as Country Day and Latin. They all seemed to love their schools, and they all are doing well for themselves now. However, I saw a LOT of kids - both my friends and just acquaintances - who got very disillusioned with the schools from about sophomore year on. Although the schools are large, it's generally the same group of kids for their whole school career. That's a lot of time for friendships to change, rumors to spread, and animosities to grow. I've known quite a few students who left for public school during high school because they just couldn't do it any more. So if you're debating a K-8 school like Charlotte Prep, you may want to consider that issue.

I also have a sister who is currently still in high school. She has always gone to public school, but in middle school she somehow found herself in a group of friends who mostly went to Country Day and Providence Day. About this time last year, my parents stopped letting her hang out with those friends. As they got into upper high school, drugs, alcohol, and parent-free parties became the norm for them. Now let me say, I'm NOT bringing that up to bash the schools. It happens everywhere. I just know that a lot of parents choose private school to escape those kinds of issues in public schools, but I wanted to make sure to put it on the table that it IS happening.

Another option no one has thrown out yet is Queen's Grant. It's a public charter school located in Mint Hill, but it has received rave reviews from parents and educators alike. It's a small K-8 school with a high school in the works. The school focuses heavily on character education, parental involvement, and hands-on learning. From what I've been told, it basically feels like a private school... all the way down to the uniforms. Only it's free!

Good luck in your search!

Old 11-28-2007, 09:00 PM

1,166 posts, read 3,544,547 times
Cabercro said:

"However, I saw a LOT of kids - both my friends and just acquaintances - who got very disillusioned with the schools from about sophomore year on. Although the schools are large, it's generally the same group of kids for their whole school career. That's a lot of time for friendships to change, rumors to spread, and animosities to grow."

I meant to mention this reality about life in the independent schools. The students do get bored with the same relatively small group of classmates by the time they get to the upper schools. Many of them have been together since Junior Kindergarten and by the time sophomore year rolls around it seems like a lot of same old, same old. I remember my daughter hoping each fall that there would be some new students to spice up life a bit.

I guess that in the end this is of minor importance when weighed against the value of a good education. I do know that her desire to escape more of the same was a main reason she did not consider Chapel Hill for college.

Last edited by BarbJ; 11-28-2007 at 09:24 PM..

Old 11-28-2007, 09:21 PM

870 posts, read 3,210,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cabercro View Post
I also have a sister who is currently still in high school. She has always gone to public school, but in middle school she somehow found herself in a group of friends who mostly went to Country Day and Providence Day. About this time last year, my parents stopped letting her hang out with those friends. As they got into upper high school, drugs, alcohol, and parent-free parties became the norm for them. Now let me say, I'm NOT bringing that up to bash the schools. It happens everywhere. I just know that a lot of parents choose private school to escape those kinds of issues in public schools, but I wanted to make sure to put it on the table that it IS happening.
I hope you are kidding when you say this behavior is the norm at Country Day and Providence Day? Get your head out of the sand and look around.

Old 11-28-2007, 10:42 PM

Default I expect ...

to hear about drugs in parties in any of the schools. It happened everywhere back home as well. I just hope I can scare my children so that they never touch that stuff and have enough confidence to stand up against peer pressure. I think a lot of that falls on the parents. I know it did for me and having my mom home watching me 24/7 really helped keep me in balance!

I can totally see how they would get bored being with the same kids that is why the K-8 is definitely very appealing! I know by the time I reached 8th grade I disliked most of my class and couldn't wait to start fresh somewhere else!

Old 11-29-2007, 05:59 AM

72 posts, read 199,869 times
Originally Posted by njmdpanc
"I hope you are kidding when you say this behavior is the norm at Country Day and Providence Day? Get your head out of the sand and look around."

I'm by no means saying that it's the norm. But the argument I often hear parents (and students) using for private schools are a better education and less problems than public school. Teenagers everywhere are facing these issues, and I wanted to point out to a newcomer that Charlotte's private schools - while very fine institutions - are not immune. If anything, they often house the kids who have the resources to fund such activities. I agree wholeheartedly with MJ - it's all about the parents.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte