U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2013, 03:26 PM

8,402 posts, read 20,298,664 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by choloboy36 View Post
I said it in my last post but I'll break it down for you. Gay stuff for blacks. That's why and I refuse to move to Atlanta for obvious reasons. Anything else?
What "stuff" is specific to gay blacks? I'm clueless here.

BTW-you didn't really think that "The Queen City" had anything to do with homosexuals, did you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2013, 04:19 PM

11,723 posts, read 9,354,687 times
Quote:
its not the matter of how gay a city is. Just seems like its divided in the gay community that is here. Were both African American with me being part Puerto Rican. There isn't much here. Even my friends that are gay say that. Charlotte is nice and we all moved here BC of our job Metlife. There isn't much gay stuff In charlotte BC there is very little diversity. I'm sorry but a lot of the places we been fill like there geared towards Caucasian with the exception of a few other races. I dont mind but a lot of the places seem that way. We felt out of place being the only people of color but when we look for other clubs we find little to nothing. Its not a trick, MetLife pays very well but the gay scene here threw us off and so did the nickname (the queen city) until I did my research.
If you really thought Queen City had something to do with gay culture its obvious why you feel the way you do.

Old 06-24-2013, 05:45 PM

3,455 posts, read 3,138,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post
If you really thought Queen City had something to do with gay culture its obvious why you feel the way you do.
I'd imagine Charlotte's gay scene is on par with similar cities of its size aside from those that clearly market themselves as such or make it a point of emphasis. Charlotte city proper's population is 30%+ African American, that's rather significant in comparisons to many other places. African Americans only make up 13% of the US population and a bulk of that percentage reside in the south. Atlanta and DC metros probably have the highest/most populous concentration of African Americans in the US....atypical and not the norm.

Sometimes I don't think people realize just how few African Americans actually make up the general population in America outside of a few major urban areas and the south.

Old 06-25-2013, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Aristotle View Post
I'd imagine Charlotte's gay scene is on par with similar cities of its size aside from those that clearly market themselves as such or make it a point of emphasis. Charlotte city proper's population is 30%+ African American, that's rather significant in comparisons to many other places. African Americans only make up 13% of the US population and a bulk of that percentage reside in the south. Atlanta and DC metros probably have the highest/most populous concentration of African Americans in the US....atypical and not the norm.

Sometimes I don't think people realize just how few African Americans actually make up the general population in America outside of a few major urban areas and the south.
I thought the OP picked Charlotte and loved it. Now it sounds like he was forced due to a job transfer and is struggling to find his niche.

Traveling to DC, NYC and ATL will definitely leave a bad taste in your mouth if you are going to compare it to Charlotte.

Every time a person starts a conversation with.. "in NYC or in DC" I shut it down. Charlotte can't compete with those places and it's one of the reason's traffic isn't like 485 and a 1 bedroom doesn't rent for $3000.

Gays are 5%...probably more like 15%.... one shouldn't expect a city Charlotte's size to be a gay extravaganza. There is a scene and if he doesn't like it he sounds young enough to do something about it.

Old 06-25-2013, 10:36 AM

3,453 posts, read 3,110,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vmaxnc View Post
Define "gay stuff". What do you mean by "isn't much here"?
I think he means urban black gay clubs. Visiting Charlotte while dating someone there i notice that the gay community was very small and so was the activities.. Compared to Columbus Ohio Columbus offers a better bar / Dance club scene for gays. If I were him I would do like most black gay men do in Charlotte and all of NC. Go to DC or Atlanta for the gay urban experience

Old 06-25-2013, 11:54 AM

1,012 posts, read 1,182,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Staysean23 View Post
I think he means urban black gay clubs. Visiting Charlotte while dating someone there i notice that the gay community was very small and so was the activities.. Compared to Columbus Ohio Columbus offers a better bar / Dance club scene for gays. If I were him I would do like most black gay men do in Charlotte and all of NC. Go to DC or Atlanta for the gay urban experience

slightly took the words out of my mouth. Lol couldn't find another way off putting it. SADLY we might have to do that. Just wish more urban black clubs were here BC I enjoy uptown charlotte. Its easy for me to drive to Atl but I like the vibe in Charlotte. Just needs more urban black gay clubs.

Old 06-25-2013, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Just needs more urban black gay clubs.
no it doesn't...

it's all about supply and demand...

your friend said he stopped promoting a gay night because there wasn't a crowd.

Old 06-25-2013, 12:18 PM

1,012 posts, read 1,182,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post
no it doesn't...

it's all about supply and demand...

your friend said he stopped promoting a gay night because there wasn't a crowd.

and I he said he was but hasn't yet. Big difference. He still throws penthouse partys for gay pride and other events that comes up. What's your deal anyways if we had em or not. ARE you gay? Doesn't matter to you so why input. It doesn't benefit you in any aspects. Oh and my bad I wasn't trying to come off harsh lol.

Old 06-25-2013, 12:34 PM

Quote:
and I he said he was but hasn't yet. Big difference. He still throws penthouse partys for gay pride and other events that comes up. What's your deal anyways if we had em or not. ARE you gay? Doesn't matter to you so why input. It doesn't benefit you in any aspects. Oh and my bad I wasn't trying to come off harsh lol.

As far as being gay... no, far from it but since this is a subject on Charlotte Nightlife I should be able to give my opinion without my sexuality being questioned.

You just said a friend is going to quit promoting (I know, he hasn't done it yet) because their wasn't a demand for a gay night. So... IMO I doubt Charlotte needs an urban gay club for blacks given how things are going right now.

It gets a little bothersome when people come from larger cities or point to ATL and wonder why Charlotte doesn't have what they have. There is a reason... and it's called small market. Charlotte is still small market and even if it grew into a major city I doubt it would have the gay energy you desire. Nothing about Charlotte says gay fun IMO. Embrace the pockets you have and instead of laughing off those clubs that were suggested you should HELP promote them.

Old 06-25-2013, 12:48 PM

8,402 posts, read 20,298,664 times
Quote:
slightly took the words out of my mouth. Lol couldn't find another way off putting it. SADLY we might have to do that. Just wish more urban black clubs were here BC I enjoy uptown charlotte. Its easy for me to drive to Atl but I like the vibe in Charlotte. Just needs more urban black gay clubs.
So to be clear, your gay experience in Charlotte is substandard only because there are not enough urban gay black clubs. Other than that there isn't a reason to suggest that Charlotte isn't gay friendly, according to you. Is that an accurate observation?

How do these clubs differ from any other urban (does urban simply mean that they are located downtown?) club, besides the clientele?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte