U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2014, 05:01 PM

35,885 posts, read 68,237,911 times

Advertisements

What the heck is the problem with county services in Union County???

We are all (nationwide!) still reeling over that heinous situation with the manager for child protective services and her nurse live-in companion, who have been systematically (it is alleged) abusing both children and animals on their property.

Now I read this story about a starving mule . . . what the heck is wrong with county authorities? You are just living at your own risk if you are a child or animal there? I shudder to think what goes on with elderly folks since standard operating procedure seems to be "move along and mind your business."

Levi The Mule Needs Your Help: Levi's Story
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2014, 05:22 PM

7,672 posts, read 10,286,444 times
It's a wisespread county with services stretched thin. Back when I lived in Union, I had an issue where I had to contact animal control and they were telling me about how there are only a few people on duty at one time. They had to drive insane amount of miles to answer calls and stretched very thin. Also had to call 911 for a burglary and the response time was over 15 minutes again due to the same issue. Officer had to drive in from Monroe. Granted it's been a year since I been there so they may have increased services but it was an eye opener. I will also post that I never had to call animal control or the police while in Mecklenburg so I can't compare response times etc.

Old 01-09-2014, 09:10 PM

305 posts, read 672,059 times
Have you read the redistricting thread? Have you seen the selfish and arrogant sentiments people are spewing about kids? Then it isn't a stretch to think that they would treat animals like this.
Shameful.

Old 01-09-2014, 09:17 PM

122 posts, read 171,045 times
These types of problems are commonplace throughout the tar heel state. The specific issues vary by locale, but the root cause is incompetence and a lack of education.

Old 01-09-2014, 09:25 PM

601 posts, read 810,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post

We are all (nationwide!) still reeling over that heinous situation with the manager for child protective services and her nurse live-in companion, who have been systematically (it is alleged) abusing both children and animals on their property.

Now I read this story about a starving mule . . . what the heck is wrong with county authorities? You are just living at your own risk if you are a child or animal there? I shudder to think what goes on with elderly folks since standard operating procedure seems to be "move along and mind your business."

Charlotte Observer is saying that a vet visited the mule, and found that it was in good health, though recommended a change in feed:

Union Co. authorities: Don’t feed Levi, the Marshville mule | CharlotteObserver.com

Old 01-09-2014, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Third Strike View Post
Charlotte Observer is saying that a vet visited the mule, and found that it was in good health, though recommended a change in feed:

Union Co. authorities: Don’t feed Levi, the Marshville mule | CharlotteObserver.com
A friend of mine posted this story on her FB page (she lives in the area) and received a reply back from someone in the Sheriff's Dept. saying they had made well checks on the animal and that the owner was cooperative.

Assuming that the photos with the story are correct -- both the mule and its habitat look in very poor condition. Hard to believe that a vet and someone from the Sheriff's Dept. thought things are acceptable. Of course, I guess those could be fake photos . . . but evidently the info was factual enough for people to know from the post what mule, what acreage and what owner.

Old 01-09-2014, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayorofsynsky View Post
These types of problems are commonplace throughout the tar heel state. The specific issues vary by locale, but the root cause is incompetence and a lack of education.
I don't see how incompetence is at the root of this problem. Or education. What is at the root of the problem is that it appears an owner is not taking proper care of his/her animals. The mule could have been sick and lost weight but that much weight loss doesn't occur over night. And the way the property appears in those photos would indicate a long term situation, as well.

If there are no laws being violated, then the Sheriff's Dept can't do anything and I would suppose if a Vet says it isn't neglect, then as far as the law, it isn't.

It just makes a person wonder, though, what is considered acceptable and how that determination is made.

Old 01-09-2014, 10:07 PM

1,304 posts, read 3,910,288 times
NEWS RELEASE UNION COUNTY SHERIFF'S OFFICE

For Immediate Release January 9, 2014

Report of Possible Neglected Mule in Marshville, NC

In response to several media inquiries regarding the status of an investigation of a Neglected Mule at 4222 Lanes Creek Road in Marshville, NC, Sheriff Eddie Cathey issued the following as to the condition of the Mule (Levi).

December 13, 2013, Union County Sheriff’s Office Animal Services received a call regarding a possibly neglected mule on this property. An officer responded the same day and found food, water and shelter for the mule at this property. On January 2, 2014, Animal Services received another call concerning the same mule. Again, an officer responded the same day and again found food, water and shelter. The owner of the property and the mule was contacted by Animal Services on this date and has cooperated fully with our investigation. The owner is in compliance with all NC State laws and Union County Ordinances concerning livestock and their living conditions.

The mule (Levi) was examined on January 8, 2014 by an Equine Veterinarian. The results of the exam showed Levi’s health as good. The veterinarian recommended use of a different type of feed due to the age of Levi. The owner was happy to comply with the veterinarian’s recommendation. The owner of Levi has given Union County Sheriff’s Office personnel permission to come onto the property at any time to check on Levi.

Many concerned citizens have taken it upon themselves to feed Levi. This type of behavior could be detrimental and cause more harm than good for Levi. Also, entering private property without permission is Second Degree Trespassing and persons found on this property without permission are in violation of North Carolina General Statute 14-159.13. The owner of the property has posted “No Trespassing” signs for this property. Any concerns regarding animals should be reported to our Animal Services Bureau at 704-283-2308.

For additional information, contact Captain Macky Goodman at 704-283-3789.

Old 01-09-2014, 11:54 PM

122 posts, read 171,045 times
Lol never read anything about a neglected mule when I lived in DC or NYC. Neglected children yes, but mules no. Things sure are different down here.

Old 01-10-2014, 05:56 AM

5,949 posts, read 6,926,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post

A goodly portion of the county services are run by a bunch of semi-inbred high school half-wits with budgets that are small fraction of what is necessary to do a proper job! It doesn't surprise me in the least, that these type of events occur on a regular basis.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or