U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2014, 10:06 PM

2 posts, read 2,507 times

Advertisements

I am thinking about moving to Charlotte, and already have a place in mind.

I am tired of Florida, and want to relocate. It gets so hot, and muddy during the summer. I also have a list of other reasons I want to get out of Florida, and do not want to make the wrong move.

I also do not tolerate very cold weather, and do not own heavy duty winter clothes.

I am a middle aged Black lady, and live a very peaceful life. I am not into parties, and do not have extra money to spend on outings. I am in the poor category, and have very little money.

I appreciate your inputs positive, and negative about Charlotte.

I need to make a decision soon, and thank you all in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2014, 11:21 PM

2,149 posts, read 2,623,052 times
I wouldn't come without a job. You'd def need a wardrobe upgrade if you are moving here from Florida for the winters at least. We don't get really cold weather, generally, but as we saw last week, temps in the single digits are possible and do happen from time to time. Either way it's colder than Florida.

Have you considered Atlanta?

Old 01-12-2014, 12:05 AM

570 posts, read 544,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf Howl View Post
I wouldn't come without a job. You'd def need a wardrobe upgrade if you are moving here from Florida for the winters at least. We don't get really cold weather, generally, but as we saw last week, temps in the single digits are possible and do happen from time to time. Either way it's colder than Florida.

Have you considered Atlanta?
It can get just as cold in Atlanta. It got down to 5 degrees in Atlanta on Tuesday. The high only made it to 24. I'm sure she'll be able to find some sort of job wherever she goes, but she should have a friend she can stay with to help her get on her feet until she lands a job, if there's not already one awaiting her.

She should also wait until the spring, after the threat of any cold weather passes. Then a few months down the road buy a few cold weather items before winter arrives again. She wouldn't need that much, just a few items -- a coat, a couple sturdy shirts and pairs of slacks -- as there aren't that many cold days.

Last edited by brichard; 01-12-2014 at 12:15 AM..

Old 01-12-2014, 06:26 AM

7,672 posts, read 9,915,009 times
NC taxes you on everything including income, which FL doesn't. I don't know what type of income you have so check it out at Individual.

I will say that Florida, Central/North Florida especially, is cheaper to live in on a fixed income than Charlotte. I would check out SC.

Old 01-12-2014, 09:27 AM

2,149 posts, read 2,623,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brichard View Post
It can get just as cold in Atlanta. It got down to 5 degrees in Atlanta on Tuesday. The high only made it to 24. I'm sure she'll be able to find some sort of job wherever she goes, but she should have a friend she can stay with to help her get on her feet until she lands a job, if there's not already one awaiting her.

She should also wait until the spring, after the threat of any cold weather passes. Then a few months down the road buy a few cold weather items before winter arrives again. She wouldn't need that much, just a few items -- a coat, a couple sturdy shirts and pairs of slacks -- as there aren't that many cold days.
You're assuming I made the comment about Atlanta because of the weather.

Old 01-12-2014, 10:00 AM

570 posts, read 544,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf Howl View Post
You're assuming I made the comment about Atlanta because of the weather.
Yes, because you were talking about how Charlotte is colder than Florida and would require a wardrobe upgrade, then in the very next sentence said "Have you considered Atlanta?"

Old 01-12-2014, 02:06 PM

2,838 posts, read 4,156,321 times
Most people that are running away from something don't find it by moving to a new city.

Old 01-13-2014, 05:09 AM

249 posts, read 370,787 times
maybe check out savannah, charleston or columbia. These cities are warmer in the winter time

Old 01-26-2014, 08:20 PM

2 posts, read 2,507 times
Thank you for the helpful comments, and I really appreciate all of you.

I am going to check out the other three places, and Atlanta is a no for me. I would consider some other places, and I am looking for a slower pace. I do not want to be in 100% country, but am looking for a city between country and city.

Please keep the comments coming, and I need them. I am sensitive to extreme cold, and heat. I can tolerate dry heat, and the humidity is unbearable in Florida.

Old 01-26-2014, 09:45 PM

95 posts, read 136,236 times
I agree. No job lined up don't make that move. That goes for moving ANYWHERE.
But also I would look into SC before Charlotte for some of those things that you are looking for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or