U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2014, 07:51 AM

22,974 posts, read 58,591,459 times

Advertisements

As of January 1st, as a part of Senate Bill 626, authorities are required to scan found lost pets.
This new law requiring that all animals picked up by animal control be scanned for microchips.
The law also gives authorities the ability to break in and rescue pets in cars suffering from extreme weather conditions.

Each year, thousands of pets (dogs and cats) go missing, and many don’t make it back home . Many pets (especially indoor pets) don’t wear collars or tags.

Even if your pet wears a collar and identification tag, collars can break off and tags can become damaged and unreadable, so these forms of identification may not be enough to ensure your pet’s safe return.

Your pet needs a form of identification that is reliable and can’t get lost, stolen, or damaged. A microchip is a safe, simple form of identification that can significantly increase the chance that your pet will return safely.

A microchip is about the size and shape of a grain of rice and is placed underneath your pet's skin between the shoulder blades.

Microchip implantation takes only a few minutes and is very safe.
Each microchip is unique and carries vital information about your pet—including your name, address, and contact information.
When a microchip is implanted, the pet owner is given a registration form to complete.

Registering the number on the microchip includes your pet in a national pet recovery database. Veterinary hospitals, animal shelters, and animal control offices across the country are equipped with special electronic scanners that can detect the microchip and read the identification number.

If a lost pet is picked up by animal control or found by a good Samaritan and presented to a veterinarian, a quick scan of the microchip reveals the identification number. A toll-free phone call to the pet recovery database alerts the microchip company that a lost pet has been identified. The pet owner can then be contacted and reunited with his or her pet!

This is a wonderful law for pets, and micro-chipping is fairly cheap.
I seen it for $35 but could range up to around $45. For those that have multiple pets maybe negotiate a deal at a regular vet or space it out to when each pet is due for a checkup and have it done then.

Last edited by SunnyKayak; 01-12-2014 at 08:00 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2014, 09:57 AM

35,885 posts, read 67,154,265 times
What surprises me is that pets are NOT always scanned at animal shelters. I had no idea.

Thank you for info, Sunny!

Old 01-12-2014, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
What surprises me is that pets are NOT always scanned at animal shelters. I had no idea.

Thank you for info, Sunny!

As of January 1st, if animal brought into the control officer they are required.

I also want to encourage those who have already had this procedure but have a new address or phone be sure to update the registry.

Old 01-12-2014, 01:14 PM

2,839 posts, read 4,157,283 times
I wonder if the new law requires veterinarians to scan each animal?

Years ago my dog got out of a fence and was picked up by some people that took her to their vet across town. They were going out of town and left her there for shots/boarding for a week. I called every vets office in the city (including this vet) and had no luck finding her. I did finally get her back when the people got back in town and saw my 'dog lost' ad.

Old 01-12-2014, 02:28 PM

7,672 posts, read 9,917,397 times
I don't mind paying for the chip but it does peeve me that I have to pay $35 each time I moved. I can understand $5 or $10, but $35?

Also surprised the animal. Wasn't scanned either as a routine before! It's such a simple process, hover gun over animal. Done. Is it a question of manpower and having to look it up?

Old 01-12-2014, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotteborn View Post
I wonder if the new law requires veterinarians to scan each animal?

Years ago my dog got out of a fence and was picked up by some people that took her to their vet across town. They were going out of town and left her there for shots/boarding for a week. I called every vets office in the city (including this vet) and had no luck finding her. I did finally get her back when the people got back in town and saw my 'dog lost' ad.
Senate Bill 626, was primary legislation for animal shelters. http://www.ncleg.net/Sessions/2013/B...PDF/S626v4.pdf
I assume that the vet that pet was given to didnt have the scanner.

The registry would be a good place to look for a missing pet that has been chipped.
Lost and Found Pet Classifieds |petkey

For anyone who relocating to Mecklenburg County with a pet, a microchip isnt required but a pet license is.

Quote:
All dogs, cats and ferrets four months and older residing in Charlotte, Mint Hill, Pineville and the unincorporated areas of Mecklenburg County must be licensed annually. This same law applies to ferrets living in Charlotte, Mint Hill, and Pineville. Proof of a current rabies vaccination from your veterinarian is required to purchase a license.
License fees will vary depending on whether your pet is spayed or neutered. Fees for fertile animals are $30.00 and those for sterile animals are $10.00 for a 1-year license and $25.00 for a 3-year license. License fee exemptions may apply in certain situations:
  • Senior citizens 62 years of age and older may receive a free license for their pets, provided the animals have been sterilized.
  • If your animal has medical problems that make it unable to withstand the sterilization procedure, you may purchase a license for $10.00 if you provide a statement from your veterinarian.
  • Any disabled owner of a dog which is used for seeing, hearing or assistance purposes may receive a free license if the animal has been spayed or neutered.
  • Owners of show animals may receive licenses for $10.00 provided they show proof of participation in at least three nationally recognized shows within the past twelve months.
On March 7, 2005, the Animal Control Bureau contracted with PetData, Inc. to manage the animal licensing program for the Charlotte-Mecklenburg area.

Old 01-12-2014, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by momtothree View Post
I don't mind paying for the chip but it does peeve me that I have to pay $35 each time I moved. I can understand $5 or $10, but $35?

Also surprised the animal. Wasn't scanned either as a routine before! It's such a simple process, hover gun over animal. Done. Is it a question of manpower and having to look it up?
Wouldnt the information just need to be updated on the website vs getting a new chip.
Also I notice on website they sell the chips to it yourself for $25

Old 01-12-2014, 04:38 PM

7,672 posts, read 9,917,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
Wouldnt the information just need to be updated on the website vs getting a new chip.
Also I notice on website they sell the chips to it yourself for $25
Yep, that is what I have pay each time I call to update their system.

And I have to use them as its their 800 phone number that is scanned from the chip.

Old 01-12-2014, 11:05 PM

2,155 posts, read 3,383,517 times
Quote:
Yep, that is what I have pay each time I call to update their system.

And I have to use them as its their 800 phone number that is scanned from the chip.
I have one animal with an AVID PETtrac chip. They charge $6.00 to update the info at www.avidid.com but there are no annual charges.

I have another animal with a Home Again chip. They charge $18.00/year, but you can update the information at any time at www.homeagain.com

The reason for the difference is that the AVID chip was installed by a breeder and the Home Again chip was installed by my vet.

Old 01-12-2014, 11:09 PM

1,013 posts, read 2,653,060 times
Quote:

You're being taken. Who in the world do you use for the service?

In fifteen years of so, I've never paid more then $6.00 for an address change.

Are you microchipping them every time you move?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or