Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2007, 08:04 AM

1,808 posts, read 6,468,592 times

Advertisements

Here's hoping that some of the ex-NYers on this board might be able to help me out.

My best friend in the whole world is getting married at Niagara Falls in May 2008. I of course have every intention of being at this wedding, but my DH and I are trying to figure out the most economical way to get there without breaking the bank, especially since he is currently unemployed. (Hopefully he'll be employed by then but right now, while we're planning, we're trying to do this trip on a budget.)

Searching the Internet for flights (expedia, travelocity, kayak, and individual carriers web sites) indicates that prices are all over the board. We can fly direct (preferred method) for anywhere from $300-$600 per person, or we can risk delays and lost luggage with a connection for around $200 per person. The cost of the flight, plus the cost of the hotel, rental car, meals, transportation to the airport and/or parking at the airport, plus the cost of boarding our dog and a nice wedding gift, is causing me a huge headache!

Last night we were entertaining the idea of driving up. My car is very economical on gas and can get almost 400 miles to the tank with highway driving. Google tells me that the drive would be close to 11 hours, but at least we'd have a car when we got there and wouldn't have to rent one.

OK, done rambling with the back story. The questions at hand are (1) what route would you take and (2) are there any toll roads and how much should we expect to pay for the tolls?

As always, TIA for your help. I'll also post this on the NY board to get the locals' assistance with these questions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2007, 08:46 AM

58 posts, read 180,680 times
I can't help you with your route but make sure you go to the Anchor Bar for the original Buffalo Wings while you are there. I'm also glad your trip will be in May because the snow will have just about melted by then.

Old 11-28-2007, 08:52 AM

9,116 posts, read 17,642,348 times
I came from NJ and looking at Mapquest, buffalo is about the same distance to charlotte as where i was in NJ (approx 650 miles one way).

If I had my choice, I would definitely fly because the drive wears you down more obv.

Definitely the most economical way of doing it would be to leave early in the morning and get to buffalo around dinnertime...

Also, looking at the roads, you'd have a pretty scenic drive...77 north into the moutains is beautiful (just be careful w/the tractor trailers...), been on 79....pretty boring if you ask me. Once you get to Erie you don't have too much longer to go...

good luck.

Old 11-28-2007, 08:53 AM

4,729 posts, read 19,357,757 times
I have done it many times and I recommend flying. The drive takes between 9-12 hours depending on stops/traffic, etc, but 75% of it is through mountains which are brutal and often foggy, wet and icy. If you do drive, take 77 andMAKE SURE YOU GET ON US 19 IN W. VA (note this is a huge speed trap). If you do not take US 19, you will add an hour and 30 minutes to 2 hours to your trip (I made this mistake once). You stay on US 19 for about an hour and then take 79 up near Pittsburgh, then take this to the 1-90 near Erie, PA to get to WNY. Oh my time is only to Buffalo. Niagara Falls adds another 20 minutes. On the way up, there is a $1.25 and two .25 cent tolls in W. VA. That's about it until you get to WNY. Depending on what route you take from Buffalo to Niagara Falls, you will pay a 50 cent toll through the i-190 and you will also pay 75 cents to drive through Grand Island, which is a big island in the middle of the Niagara River I used to live on. Oh, there is also the toll on the 1-90 from Erie to Buffalo which is about $4 you pay when you get off of it. Oh, and it often snows in May in Buffalo, especially just south of the city which you will be driving through next to Lake Erie.

The drive to NJ/NYC is much easier because you don't have to go through the mountains.

Last edited by groove1; 11-28-2007 at 09:06 AM..

Old 11-28-2007, 10:22 AM

300 posts, read 759,992 times
Default Clt to Buf

Quote:
Originally Posted by groove1 View Post
I have done it many times and I recommend flying. The drive takes between 9-12 hours depending on stops/traffic, etc, but 75% of it is through mountains which are brutal and often foggy, wet and icy. If you do drive, take 77 andMAKE SURE YOU GET ON US 19 IN W. VA (note this is a huge speed trap). If you do not take US 19, you will add an hour and 30 minutes to 2 hours to your trip (I made this mistake once). You stay on US 19 for about an hour and then take 79 up near Pittsburgh, then take this to the 1-90 near Erie, PA to get to WNY. Oh my time is only to Buffalo. Niagara Falls adds another 20 minutes. On the way up, there is a $1.25 and two .25 cent tolls in W. VA. That's about it until you get to WNY. Depending on what route you take from Buffalo to Niagara Falls, you will pay a 50 cent toll through the i-190 and you will also pay 75 cents to drive through Grand Island, which is a big island in the middle of the Niagara River I used to live on. Oh, there is also the toll on the 1-90 from Erie to Buffalo which is about $4 you pay when you get off of it. Oh, and it often snows in May in Buffalo, especially just south of the city which you will be driving through next to Lake Erie.
The drive to NJ/NYC is much easier because you don't have to go through the mountains.

Great job! on route to Buffalo Groove,

My husband and I are from Buffalo area also. Husband just drove to Buffalo for Thanksgiving . It took him 10 hours but he drive pretty aggressive. I myself could not take the long ride. If you don't mind the long ride. I myself have to fly I usually fly with Continental with a layover in Cleveland. If you research enough you probably could get a bargain under $ 200 roundtrip.

Good Luck!!

Last edited by SunnyKayak; 11-28-2007 at 10:25 AM.. Reason: adding in quote codes for u

Old 11-28-2007, 10:28 AM

4,729 posts, read 19,357,757 times
check Cheap Airfare, Hotel Rooms and Rental Cars on Yahoo! FareChase. Search dozens of travel sites with one click. (http://www.farechase.yahoo.com - broken link) for flights. Not always cheapest, but gives you a good idea.

Old 11-28-2007, 10:28 AM

9,116 posts, read 17,642,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by groove1 View Post

not to hijack, but its not always an "easy" ride to NJ/NY. If you take 95/85 most likely you'll sit in the worst traffic imaginable between Richmond and DC. If you take 77-85-78, you still have to go through some moutains and you roll the dice w/all the construction in central PA on 78/81....

That was some nice detail though of the ride to Buffalo...

Old 11-28-2007, 10:41 AM

295 posts, read 1,293,594 times
I just moved here from Buffalo in the spring and I never felt like the drive was that bad. Having said that, though, I flew back this fall when my cousin got married. Of course, I also used frequent flyer miles - so cost wasn't an issue for me. You can typically get cheaper fares through Greensboro - although you'll be connecting (occasionally through Charlotte).

The drive is a beautiful one if you do it in the daylight up through Virginia and W.Va. I always came through route 19, similar to another poster - and yes, it is a speed trap near Summerville, WV. A local at a gas station along the way referred to it as Ticket City, USA.

I've been able to make it in 9 hours, but I made good time and only stopped once for a quick gas/food/bathroom break. With your trip in May, you aren't going to hit snow or ice - even in Buffalo. Theoretically, I suppose you could - but it would be a once in a lifetime kind of storm.

Good luck.

BTW - Its true that the Anchor Bar is the originator of the Buffalo Wing and they're pretty good still, but the locals know that La Nova has better wings. They have restaurants downtown & in Williamsville.

Old 11-28-2007, 10:44 AM

Thanks to all of you that have responded.

I understand that it would be a long drive, but we aren't planning on doing it in one weekend - we plan to take probably 5-7 days off for this trip.

My biggest concern is lugging along a dress and a tuxedo on an airplane, which is part of the reason I was thinking of driving.

Anyway, you've provided good food for thought, for which I am grateful.

Old 11-28-2007, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samohtal View Post

BTW - Its true that the Anchor Bar is the originator of the Buffalo Wing and they're pretty good still, but the locals know that La Nova has better wings. They have restaurants downtown & in Williamsville.
DH is dying for some authentic Buffalo Wings. Thanks for the tip!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte