Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2014, 11:36 AM

12 posts, read 20,785 times

Advertisements

We're making the move to Charlotte in March and I was wondering... What are some options for natural food groceries out there besides Whole Foods and how do they compare? I've heard of Earth Fare and Healthy Home Market but I've never been to either. Would you say one is better than the other in terms of selection/price, etc.? Are there other small, locally owned stores you prefer? We'll be living in the Plaza Midwood or South end areas. Thanks for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2014, 11:41 AM

14,688 posts, read 26,602,543 times
For most items, the selection is about the same. I think WF wins out on deli items and beer selection. They are all pretty pricey.

Old 01-13-2014, 12:04 PM

38 posts, read 83,932 times
What about Trader Joe's? They are smaller stores but not as pricey as WF

Old 01-13-2014, 12:34 PM

569 posts, read 1,408,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScreenwriterInLA View Post
We're making the move to Charlotte in March and I was wondering... What are some options for natural food groceries out there besides Whole Foods and how do they compare? I've heard of Earth Fare and Healthy Home Market but I've never been to either. Would you say one is better than the other in terms of selection/price, etc.? Are there other small, locally owned stores you prefer? We'll be living in the Plaza Midwood or South end areas. Thanks for your help!

I have found I end up buying from several stores because there is not 1 that fits my needs.
For example, I buy all my almonds and nuts from Trader Joes because they have the best pricing.

For meats, I prefer Earthfare (earthfare has a great selection of supplements also) or Fresh Market.

For deli, I really think you can't beat Harris Teeter since they have Boars Head.

For Dairy, it is a toss up between Trader Joes and Whole Foods, both have large selections.

For Produce, I either hit up TJ or the farmers market in spring and summer.

Whole Foods is the largest around, here but also the most expensive in my opinion. All of these are within a 10-15 minute dr and I live near Plaza Midwood. Plaza Midwood is getting a Home Market soon, looking forward to it.

Old 01-13-2014, 12:57 PM

15,355 posts, read 12,637,428 times
Trader Joes is cheaper than Whole paycheck.

Old 01-13-2014, 01:53 PM

1,763 posts, read 3,291,029 times
I prefer Earthfare to Whole Foods. Though Whole Foods has more selection, Earthfare has very high quality in a smaller footprint. I also like to support them. Not a big Fan of Healthy Home Market - don't like their prepared foods and bakery.

Old 01-13-2014, 11:30 PM

1,013 posts, read 2,983,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post
Trader Joes is cheaper than Whole paycheck.

Whole paycheck.....L0Lz. That's funny right there

After being a loyal Trader Joes customer for years, I went shopping at Whole paycheck, after hearing how great they were. My God, I walked out with two bags half EMPTY and $70.00 missing from my wallet. Never again.

I love Trader Joes.

Old 01-14-2014, 08:10 AM

186 posts, read 287,243 times
I also love Trader Joes. But, if I had to pick between Whole Foods or EarthFare, it would be EarthFare. They have loyalty programs, give out pretty great coupons, and have a great meat department. That being said, I'd rather eat AT Whole Foods than EF. Whole Foods' salad and food bar is pretty killer. Far superior to EF. Healthy Home Market is there in South End, but extremely expensive. It's definitely a more grassroots feel in there, but the customer service is terrible (they act like they could care less if you're shopping there). However, they do have an extensive herb, healing, etc section if you need a specialty item.

Old 01-14-2014, 08:48 AM

7,672 posts, read 12,810,057 times
I like Fresh Market, Earth Fare and a tiny place in the Arboretum (not close to you though) which the name is escaping me at the moment. (next door to pizza hut)

I think you have a Fresh Market up by you, you can check them out. I also would check out in uptown 7th street farmer's market as they have a tiny cheese and meat counter. They also have a fabulous vegan bakery and a restaurant on your right as you enter the market. I want to say local loaf? Their sandwiches are delicious!

We also have tons of CSA's and local meat suppliers like Bauscom, Lakeview Milk Delivery and other options.

Old 01-14-2014, 09:53 AM

8,402 posts, read 24,213,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momtothree View Post
I like Fresh Market, Earth Fare and a tiny place in the Arboretum (not close to you though) which the name is escaping me at the moment. (next door to pizza hut)

I think you have a Fresh Market up by you, you can check them out. I also would check out in uptown 7th street farmer's market as they have a tiny cheese and meat counter. They also have a fabulous vegan bakery and a restaurant on your right as you enter the market. I want to say local loaf? Their sandwiches are delicious!

We also have tons of CSA's and local meat suppliers like Bauscom, Lakeview Milk Delivery and other options.
Marketplace? I'm heading over that way today so I thought I'd check it out.

I'm a single guy, so I generally shop at least twice a week. I simply don't consume enough to warrant big purchases, so I make a loop based on where I need to be on a given day. Each store has it's deals, so I shop based largely on that and flll in where necessary.

I bought salmon on sale at Whole foods, and it was not nearly as good as the salmon I buy at TFM when it's on sale. The same goes with beef I bought at Earthfare.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte