U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2007, 01:15 PM

9,564 posts, read 8,848,579 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by willgrace225 View Post
I don't know why people are moving here because jobs are so hard to find and childcare is so expensive and the schools are getting crowded but overall it is nice, quiet and a relaxing place but the jobs are not paying a lot of money and they are very hard to find. So any body thinking about moving here should have a really good plan like come and stay and try to find a job and if you find a job try to move on your days off but it is really not a good place for jobs, dating and childcare. That is my opinion after living here for about two years.
Wow..childcare is cheap! Go to NY area if you want to see expensive childcare. I do agree on the jobs however.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2007, 01:24 PM

58 posts, read 164,626 times
Before moving to another city, I would suggest finding a cost of living calculator online to compare the two cities. You can then see what you would need to make in the new city to maintain you cost of living. As an example you could take a 10k+ pay cut moving from NYC to Charlotte and still have a better standard of living. Ideally, you would secure the job before you relocate to a new city...whether it is Charlotte or anywhere else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by willgrace225 View Post
I don't know why people are moving here because jobs are so hard to find and childcare is so expensive and the schools are getting crowded but overall it is nice, quiet and a relaxing place but the jobs are not paying a lot of money and they are very hard to find. So any body thinking about moving here should have a really good plan like come and stay and try to find a job and if you find a job try to move on your days off but it is really not a good place for jobs, dating and childcare. That is my opinion after living here for about two years.

Old 12-06-2007, 06:13 PM

2,998 posts, read 4,684,607 times
Better than the DC area and smaller than Atlanta.

Old 12-06-2007, 06:53 PM

9,114 posts, read 15,638,426 times
Most people (not all) who have moved here recently prob made a killing in purchasing a much cheaper home. Thus their mortgage is much less. Also, property taxes here are a fraction of what they are in many major metro areas. Childcare is EXPENSIVE pretty much anywhere..schools are excellent here. Also, in terms of employment, everyone's situation is different. I work in a field where Im making more of a base salary down here than I did in Jersey. Really depends what field your in and if they have a need for you...all supply and demand.

Probably the #1 reason though for alot of people is the climate. Its sunny 90% of the time which people here don't realize how important the sun is....you can get pretty down in the dumps when you don't see it (sun) for days. Summers are hot/humid but I'll take it....

Old 12-06-2007, 08:20 PM

1,670 posts, read 5,797,631 times
I relocated here for the quality of life-coming from NYC, this is dramatically different. Rents, home-ownership, weather and beauty is what got me here. I planned a year in advance before moving. Had to get all the steps into place. Once, I chosed between Raleigh or Charlotte, I started my job hunt, which was easier than most. Since, I worked in RE for the past 12 years. I used one of my contacts to land a job at a prestigious law firm RE dept. It's different than investment banking, but RE is RE. The one thing that I love is that many people here actually work 9-5; this is a first for me. I'm so much at peace here than NYC, the relaxed lifestyle has made me more relaxed. Yes, I do miss alot, but I could get a sampling of those a couple times a year when I visit. Charlotte, may be getting larger, but for us city folks, we still see it as being small.

Old 12-06-2007, 08:39 PM

47 posts, read 108,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinagirrrrrrrls View Post
I was a contractor and found a new contract before I moved down. That was in 1998. I kept regular contracts, mostly with the big banks, down here until two years ago, when I took an FTE job with Bank of America.

If I can help you find a job, just let me know. I'm not a recruiter or anything, but do enjoy doing that sort of thing.
Is that offer across the board!?!
I am somewhat new to Charlotte (5 months) and have not found a "real" job yet. I moved right after graduating from college with a business MGT degree. i did a lot of finance studies which i thought would be beneficial to me here (kinda bad timing right now huh?) any advice for entry level job searching would be much appreciated!

Old 12-07-2007, 11:29 AM

16 posts, read 61,647 times
Warmer weather, people, economy, cost of living, and just an awesome place for people from all walks of life...

Old 12-07-2007, 12:48 PM

4,222 posts, read 6,709,506 times
Four seasons, great prices on homes, great workforce, two hours from the mountains, three hours from the ocean, an international airport, descent lake fishing (I hear), plenty to do as far as restaurants, performing arts, concerts, drinking establishments and dancing establishments and easy access (Air Tran/ Sky Blue) to NYC, Boston or other places for a weekend getaway.

Old 12-07-2007, 08:45 PM

105 posts, read 219,164 times
I first read this thread a day, or two, ago & I didn't respond because I am not yet a Charlotte resisdent, but...today, this former TX/So CA girl thought of a number of reasons to move from Maine.
$53.00 spent to put my studded tires back on my car today (w/ another $53.00 to be spent in spring to take them off).
A gallon of windshield wiper fluid on the front floorboard because the salt/sand mix on the roads is h*** on the windshield & headlights.
I could buy a nice home with the money I'm currently spending on heating oil to keep my home a cozy 62 degrees.
Shoveling away the snow berm the town plow left for me when I get home from my 2nd job (needed here just to pay for heating oil) at 10:00 PM.
I want to think, again, that 40 degrees is REALLY cold!
If I have to work 2 jobs & live in a small apartment to make it in Charlotte - it will be so worth it to me, just to escape the brutal, New England winters.

Old 12-07-2007, 11:20 PM

18,976 posts, read 15,428,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CouponJack View Post
Most people (not all) who have moved here recently prob made a killing in purchasing a much cheaper home. Thus their mortgage is much less. Also, property taxes here are a fraction of what they are in many major metro areas. Childcare is EXPENSIVE pretty much anywhere..schools are excellent here. Also, in terms of employment, everyone's situation is different. I work in a field where Im making more of a base salary down here than I did in Jersey. Really depends what field your in and if they have a need for you...all supply and demand.

Probably the #1 reason though for alot of people is the climate. Its sunny 90% of the time which people here don't realize how important the sun is....you can get pretty down in the dumps when you don't see it (sun) for days. Summers are hot/humid but I'll take it....
Housing differences are a major factor. Incomes are generally lower for the same type of job, but that could be made up by the equity coming from the old house. And when income isn't an issue such as with you, or retirees than its even more so. My parents are likely to move down to Charlotte within the next year or so, as my dad is retiring at the end of March. Selling the house here, and having a brand new house built, which is larger than our current one, they would go down there with at least $100,000 and probably up near $150,000 off that transaction alone, and thats after paying off the current mortgage, real estate commissions, etc, and they would have the house down there with nio mortgage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or