Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2014, 06:27 PM

6,675 posts, read 4,274,941 times

Advertisements

We are moving to Charlotte later this year and I was only considering new construction for a home. We are first time homebuyers and I've since reconsidered to include resale. Many people say that resale is better and I know everyone has their opinions.

Here are my questions....

Obviously there are many transplants coming to Charlotte. It would seem to me that if one were to buy new construction in a community, there would likely be more transplants in that community. Resale would mean buying in established neighborhoods and therefore (in my mind) more natives.

From reading these forums, everyone seems very friendly. I have seen some that seem to resent transplants.

First, am I right in my assumptions of the natives and transplants in certain communities? If so, how are transplants received in established neighborhoods composed of natives? Is there resentment? Is it harder to integrate?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2014, 06:41 PM

4,041 posts, read 4,957,550 times
Depending on where you are buying you might be surprised if you go the resale route. You might find people in the neighborhood moved here from someplace else as well.

Old 01-15-2014, 06:52 PM

309 posts, read 765,843 times
Charlotte is full of transplants. Chances are you will fit into whatever community you choose. Most people are welcoming and friendly. However, you will find jerks in any part of the country. Don't let them dissuade you.

Resale will probably give you a better value for your money and you should at least check all your options.

Old 01-15-2014, 07:32 PM

2,348 posts, read 3,462,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by somersmom View Post
Charlotte is full of transplants. Chances are you will fit into whatever community you choose. Most people are welcoming and friendly. However, you will find jerks in any part of the country. Don't let them dissuade you.

Resale will probably give you a better value for your money and you should at least check all your options.
Agree with this.

Find the best value in a house in a neighborhood you like, be a decent person/neighbor to those around you and you'll be just fine, whether it's with natives (like me) or transplants.

Old 01-15-2014, 07:36 PM

6,675 posts, read 4,274,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by somersmom View Post

I'm starting to think that resale will be a better option for us. At least you know what you're getting, for the most part. Our daughter will be off to college and with just the two of us, we will be looking for a smaller place, maybe 1500-1800 sf.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf Howl View Post
Agree with this.

Find the best value in a house in a neighborhood you like, be a decent person/neighbor to those around you and you'll be just fine, whether it's with natives (like me) or transplants.
Thanks for all the input. Based on what I've seen here, it seems that most people are friendly.

I think it's a great point to be a good neighbor and I'm looking forward to the move.

Old 01-16-2014, 07:18 AM

533 posts, read 936,081 times
new construction = hit or miss. its been more miss as of late. just my .02

Old 01-16-2014, 07:29 AM

6,032 posts, read 9,208,453 times
Most of the people I know who bought new construction in the last 5-6 years up to today have been underwater when selling in Charlotte.

You will get more value and stability going with some existing. Also research whoever built the home as well. I would stay away from the cookie cutter tract type stuff and focus on older existing brick ranches or split level's in good areas like 28209, 28210 (South Charlotte).

Old 01-16-2014, 07:37 AM

569 posts, read 1,409,332 times
Where are you from? I am assuming SD.

Your assumptions are somewhat correct, I am a native and am very welcoming to transplants. It has been my experience that the further out you get the more new home communities there are, and the more transplants there are. If you are from the northeast for example you might feel quite at home in many parts of Union County, South Charlotte and Mooresville.

I have always preferred established homes with an older feel to them, however I have many friends from up North that prefer new homes, especially what I call the vinyl villages. I don't get it really, but it seems to make them happy to live in new homes stacked upon each other with no trees. To each their own I suppose.

Natives seem to live in more established areas, although once some of these areas boom most of them seem to move out and sell to transplants that can afford the higher priced homes, (but that is another story.) In any case you are welcome here.

Old 01-16-2014, 07:52 AM

870 posts, read 3,527,826 times
new home construction down here is cheap at best. builders take as many shortcuts as they possibly can.
also look for an established neighborhood without an HOA. you will be thankful if you do.

Old 01-16-2014, 02:25 PM

197 posts, read 232,186 times
It would be a good idea to rent something and learn the area better and decide what and where to buy. It would give you a chance to get a feel for the area and as you meet others, some insights you won't get by just owning right away..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte