Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-18-2014, 04:43 PM

113 posts, read 143,541 times

Advertisements

I have a potential job offer in Fort Mill and are visiting the area from out of town next week. I've been to Charlotte in the past, but only for a brief time.

A little about myself. I'm a design professional, in my early 30's and interested in the South Charlotte area due to its proximity to work (open to suggestions though). I'm looking to rent in a walkable community with bars, restaurants, open air markets, older classic housing, but most importantly it needs to have a night life with a younger crowd. Budget would be up to $1100 for rent.

Any suggestions? By the way downtown looks pretty cool from street view.

Thanks

Last edited by laloesch; 01-18-2014 at 05:12 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2014, 05:42 PM

1,763 posts, read 3,274,594 times
The amenities you like are actually difficult to find in Charlotte unless you are very close to downtown. Check out Dilworth, The South End, NODA and Downtown itself. I would recommend Plaza Midwood most highly, but it's a longer commute to Fort Mill.

Old 01-18-2014, 11:21 PM

125 posts, read 241,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ex-burgher View Post
The amenities you like are actually difficult to find in Charlotte unless you are very close to downtown. Check out Dilworth, The South End, NODA and Downtown itself. I would recommend Plaza Midwood most highly, but it's a longer commute to Fort Mill.
I completely agree, South Charlotte is a very nice, safe, and enjoyable place to live; but it is completely family oriented. To the OP, downtown is going to be your best bet, with that being said, your commute will be about 30 or more minutes to make it to and from work if you do live around downtown. You could find a happy median in Ballantyne, possibly. There are some very good restaurants, shopping, and living; plus you're 25 minutes away from nightlife. You would honestly have to make a trip for a week or maybe a weekend to get a feel for what you might like.

Old 01-19-2014, 07:27 AM

1,508 posts, read 2,960,911 times
I think for the OP it will depend on how important it is to see pedestrian activity and make eye contact with people. Most of south Charlotte is "walkable" if you just want sidewalks, some shade, corner shopping centers to walk to and return from. But you won't cross paths with many young people out having fun. South Charlotte is more for joggers and dog walkers.

Dilworth (in the East/Kenilworth area), Plaza Midwood and NODA have more of that vibe for people ambling about in the evenings.

Old 01-19-2014, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean_CLT View Post
I think for the OP it will depend on how important it is to see pedestrian activity and make eye contact with people. Most of south Charlotte is "walkable" if you just want sidewalks, some shade, corner shopping centers to walk to and return from. But you won't cross paths with many young people out having fun. South Charlotte is more for joggers and dog walkers.

Dilworth (in the East/Kenilworth area), Plaza Midwood and NODA have more of that vibe for people ambling about in the evenings.
Thanks for the advice. Plaza Midwood looks nice. I'm not sure what NODA standards for, but those areas seem like what i could be what I'm looking for.

Most important to me is being immersed in an area with a decent mix of reasonable apartments, night life and younger people. I will be coming to this community cold turkey, with only one acquaintance from college / work. It's important that i hit the ground running and start making friends and connections as soon as possible. The last few years I've lived in Buffalo where its been a real struggle to meet and make friends because most of the communities are old, family oriented, tired and run down.

Old 01-19-2014, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ex-burgher View Post
Thanks. Midtown and Dilworth look promising.

Old 01-20-2014, 12:16 PM

4 posts, read 11,138 times
NoDa is "North Davidson," it's the area just to the northeast of uptown.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte