Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2007, 09:00 PM

238 posts, read 1,247,388 times

Advertisements

We are looking at a Shea community (new construction). Can anyone comment on the homes & the home building process with Shea? One of the things we like is that the homes are Energy Star certified. Something we don't like is that in a number of the models the bedrooms are small (like 11x11, 10x11.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2007, 07:30 AM

18 posts, read 43,868 times
I have worked with Shea homes a number of times and found them to be very good. They have a great warranty department and are very customer oriented. Another good production builder that I have worked with are Niblock homes. They are a local builder with a good reputation and will let you customize their floorplans. I think both builders would be a good choice.

Old 11-29-2007, 08:20 AM

536 posts, read 1,692,958 times
Thumbs up Good deal!

Shea is an excellent builder, I am sure you know they just won Builder of the year 2007! I just closed last week on a Shea home in Barrington. The buyers have loved the service from Shea. One nice thing Shea (some other builders do this too), is take pictures along the way of the construction and post them online privatley for you to see! This was very helpful to my buyers (and saved me some time too!)

One thing though, (and I asked), they are not flexible on floorplans!

Old 11-29-2007, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith "Baby-Face" Lutz View Post
Shea is an excellent builder, I am sure you know they just won Builder of the year 2007! I just closed last week on a Shea home in Barrington. The buyers have loved the service from Shea. One nice thing Shea (some other builders do this too), is take pictures along the way of the construction and post them online privatley for you to see! This was very helpful to my buyers (and saved me some time too!)

One thing though, (and I asked), they are not flexible on floorplans!
Shea is rigid with their floor plans but I think most of the production type builders are too. For instance, Shea offers a number of their models with a sunroom or screened porch option(in the footprint of the patio space) yet with some models they only offer the sunroom option and Shea will not allow the screened porch...and it's in the same footprint of the sunroom. I don't understand that one as a screened porch seems less involved to build compared to the sunroom (which has is a finished room with heat & extended foundation).

Old 11-30-2007, 09:38 PM

20 posts, read 28,021 times
We purchased a Shea home in 2002 and have had a HORRIBLE time with them. At one point numerous inspectors/engineers were estimating repairs to our home in the $80-100,000 range. We actually had to hire an attorney before Shea would fix a thing. Please do yourself a favor and hire a reputable engineer to follow the building process or at the very least an inspection before you buy. Probably good advice no matter who u buy from.

Old 11-30-2007, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaxhawMom View Post
We purchased a Shea home in 2002 and have had a HORRIBLE time with them. At one point numerous inspectors/engineers were estimating repairs to our home in the $80-100,000 range. We actually had to hire an attorney before Shea would fix a thing. Please do yourself a favor and hire a reputable engineer to follow the building process or at the very least an inspection before you buy. Probably good advice no matter who u buy from.
May I ask what type of problems you had with them? Sounds structual?

Old 12-01-2007, 05:15 AM

20 posts, read 28,021 times
Yes, there were numerous structural problems, and over 40 leaks in the roof, roof of front porch was not supported properly and when the shingles were removed they found huge holes that had just been covered up, improper to no ventilation into the attic, Grout between brick was not properly mixed and had to be completely torn down (all brick), house was improperly supported in crawl and caused tile floor to crack (had to completely be removed and redone 2x while we lived here - can u say dust), front right of house was sinking due to improper foundation, a/c was installed wrong caused both compressors to burn out (under warrenty but we had to pay labor ($800 a piece) they were 1.5 yrs old).....so many other things but those were the biggest i can remember right now. I think it really depends on who you get for a superint. Ours was awful!!! My parents live in a diff shea neighborhood...They haven't had problems with their house (yet) but numerous people have (whole roofs needing replaced, all windows needing replaced, structural issues). Actually, we found our attorney thru those people. He was very well informed about Shea vs their homeowners.

Old 12-01-2007, 11:13 AM

536 posts, read 1,692,958 times
Exclamation Dead On!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDR57 View Post
Shea is rigid with their floor plans but I think most of the production type builders are too. For instance, Shea offers a number of their models with a sunroom or screened porch option(in the footprint of the patio space) yet with some models they only offer the sunroom option and Shea will not allow the screened porch...and it's in the same footprint of the sunroom. I don't understand that one as a screened porch seems less involved to build compared to the sunroom (which has is a finished room with heat & extended foundation).
Sometimes it is cheaper to put a screened in porch on after you purchase.

As far as WaxhawMOM, she is correct I am sure, but you will find that with every single builder! The key is to get it inspected along the way!

Old 12-01-2007, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaxhawMom View Post
Yes, there were numerous structural problems, and over 40 leaks in the roof, roof of front porch was not supported properly and when the shingles were removed they found huge holes that had just been covered up, improper to no ventilation into the attic, Grout between brick was not properly mixed and had to be completely torn down (all brick), house was improperly supported in crawl and caused tile floor to crack (had to completely be removed and redone 2x while we lived here - can u say dust), front right of house was sinking due to improper foundation, a/c was installed wrong caused both compressors to burn out (under warrenty but we had to pay labor ($800 a piece) they were 1.5 yrs old).....so many other things but those were the biggest i can remember right now. I think it really depends on who you get for a superint. Ours was awful!!! My parents live in a diff shea neighborhood...They haven't had problems with their house (yet) but numerous people have (whole roofs needing replaced, all windows needing replaced, structural issues). Actually, we found our attorney thru those people. He was very well informed about Shea vs their homeowners.
I can not imagine what you all have gone through with the extent of your home's problems ..I am guessing you didn't have an independent inspector...I do hope things are better and your home is now safe & "sound".
Honestly, before reading this forum I may not have thought to have an inspector but after reading about so many problems people have with new construction, I can't imagine NOT having someone looking over the builder's shoulders, especially since we are building long distance! Thanks for sharing your story..if anything, you have helped someone else by doing so!

Old 12-02-2007, 12:11 PM

153 posts, read 467,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DDR57 View Post
I can not imagine what you all have gone through with the extent of your home's problems ..I am guessing you didn't have an independent inspector...I do hope things are better and your home is now safe & "sound".
Honestly, before reading this forum I may not have thought to have an inspector but after reading about so many problems people have with new construction, I can't imagine NOT having someone looking over the builder's shoulders, especially since we are building long distance! Thanks for sharing your story..if anything, you have helped someone else by doing so!
Find a realtor, it doesn't cost you anything. Preferably one that has worked for a volume builder before and understands the basic fundamentals of construction. Yes, an independant third party inspector is a great idea. Before you close it is the builders problem, after, it is yours, regardless of the warranties, the builder is much more cooperative and willing to make corrections when there is a check on the horizon, not when it is in the rear-view mirror
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte