Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2014, 07:01 PM

86 posts, read 220,019 times

Advertisements

Hi,

Just came back from a VERY successful trip to visit Charlotte/LKN area. We loved Davidson, Cornelius, parts of Huntersville, and Mooresville.

We loved River Run in Davidson and loved everything about Davidson.

We loved the Jetton Cove/Captain's Point/Crown Harbor/Blue Stone Harbor area in Cornelius.

We loved Birkdale/Northstone/Macauley/Wynfield in Huntersville.

We loved The Farms, Bell's Crossing in Mooresville. I'm afraid to ask, though- Bell's Crossing is on Perth Rd. and in looking at the map it looks like if there is redistricting that it could be a target because of its proximity to S.Iredell HS (although it is still closer to Lake Norman HS). With the growth in Mooresville, this worries me. Of course the realtor on site knew nothing about that possibility. Has anyone heard any talk about this?

I feel great about all of our options and so excited to get down there. House is going on in February. Fingers crossed!

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2014, 07:23 PM

8,875 posts, read 13,851,684 times
Just a quick note. I don't know the nitty gritty, but my last kid graduated from Lake Norman HS a couple of years ago. While she was there, a friend of hers that lives off Fawn Hill Road was moved out of Lake Norman up to S. Iredell HS. Other friends in the nearby area remained as Lake Norman HS.

Old 01-26-2014, 07:56 PM

1,949 posts, read 5,965,253 times
May I ask, how old are your kids?

Old 01-26-2014, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamitrail View Post
May I ask, how old are your kids?
Sure- they will be 8 and 10 when we move this summer.

Old 01-26-2014, 08:22 PM

3,574 posts, read 14,311,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slctnc View Post
Hi,

Just came back from a VERY successful trip to visit Charlotte/LKN area. We loved Davidson, Cornelius, parts of Huntersville, and Mooresville.

We loved River Run in Davidson and loved everything about Davidson.

We loved the Jetton Cove/Captain's Point/Crown Harbor/Blue Stone Harbor area in Cornelius.

We loved Birkdale/Northstone/Macauley/Wynfield in Huntersville.

We loved The Farms, Bell's Crossing in Mooresville. I'm afraid to ask, though- Bell's Crossing is on Perth Rd. and in looking at the map it looks like if there is redistricting that it could be a target because of its proximity to S.Iredell HS (although it is still closer to Lake Norman HS). With the growth in Mooresville, this worries me. Of course the realtor on site knew nothing about that possibility. Has anyone heard any talk about this?

I feel great about all of our options and so excited to get down there. House is going on in February. Fingers crossed!

Thanks!
Why? South is the county IB school. You have a few years before high school - worry about the elementary and middle school.

Old 01-26-2014, 08:29 PM

Why? It is not as highly rated on great schools and ncreportcard. Neither is the middle school in Troutman. If you have personal experience, correct me if I am wrong please. That is what i am looking for. We really liked that development.

Old 01-26-2014, 08:41 PM

i
Quote:
Originally Posted by slctnc View Post
Sure- they will be 8 and 10 when we move this summer.
Too young to even worry about it. There is NO guarantee that things won't change that far out. You are talking about four years. Find the best house and neighborhood that suits your family's needs. Think about resale...if you had to move, would the house be desirable to a buyer? That's the best you can do.

You have gotten a lot of great advice in all of your previous threads. LKN is a great area. When you are actually ready to buy, come back and look again. Things change with the seasons. Time changes all.

Old 01-26-2014, 08:46 PM

One more thing, you said the realtor on site at Bells Crossing didn't know about rezoning. Of course they wouldn't talk about that with you. Do you have your own buyer's realtor? If not, you need one to look out for you. I went to Bell's Crossing several times with my own realtor, who knew everything about the area. Find someone local who is on your side and can answer your questions and guide you to the right area for your family.

Old 01-26-2014, 08:48 PM

12 posts, read 78,297 times
I moved to Moorseville last spring. I had same concern. As far as rezoning I did a lot of reading but ultimately communicated with the superintendent of Iredell schools and the also their facilities task force leader. I exchanged emails with them ( both very nice and detailed responses)

Long story short is that while it was talked about a few years ago things changed after recession as growth slowed a bit and now also the impact of existing and soon to come charter schools taking some of the population. I was told that any redistricting that may happen would be to a new school (middle & high i believe) on land they own on Overcash Rd. Which would most likely get pull from Troutman and northern parts of Mooresville. While they purchased the land no plans to build any time soon vs. Potential additions to school first. I was told that where I was would be too close to LNHS to be rezoned if a new school was ultimately built. He also said that at the time they had community feedback and there was a very strong sentiment by the community that redistricting to S Iredell was not an option and they want to do what community wants. That's why they would first consider expansion then new school as second.

I looked at many of the same developments and towns you did. I decided on where I did as I felt these schools were the best for my child. We have been pleased with our choice and Lakeshore elem/middle is great.

Don't take my word for it though on the zoning, email them and get it straight from the most knowing sources like I did.

Good luck.

Last edited by confusedfromNY; 01-26-2014 at 09:47 PM..

Old 01-27-2014, 06:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamitrail View Post
i

Too young to even worry about it. There is NO guarantee that things won't change that far out. You are talking about four years. Find the best house and neighborhood that suits your family's needs. Think about resale...if you had to move, would the house be desirable to a buyer? That's the best you can do.

You have gotten a lot of great advice in all of your previous threads. LKN is a great area. When you are actually ready to buy, come back and look again. Things change with the seasons. Time changes all.
I disagree...Troutman is lower rated than Lakeshore and my daughter will be one year away from middle school when we move. Schools are our number one reason for picking a location- not house and neighborhood. So for us, it is important and resale is exactly what we are thinking about- less demand for lower performing schools. I've learned a lot from reading the UC thread on redistricting and there are "safer" areas to buy in if this is one of your fears.

Yes, we have a realtor. She's great- but I need to be as educated as possible and this forum has been great for getting information.

ConfusedfromNY- great advice and we had planned on contacting the superintendent as well. It's nice to hear the back-story from what I had found on the net from a few years ago.

Thanks again all!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte