Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2014, 06:49 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,478,949 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cltpeep View Post
This project is being done by the Charlotte Mecklenburg Housing Partnership (not the Housing Authority), an organization that has a long history of providing affordable ownership and rentals. Their projects are well maintained and look very similar or better than market rate units. The CMHP serves people who work, they do criminal background checks, and they serve folks that you probably know. For instance, first year teachers and first year fire fighter would be eligible for their units. They might be the people taking care of your parents and grandparents at the assisted living location, they work as security guards, they mow your grass and they drive your child's bus and serve as teaching assistants in your child's schools. Now, it's time to play the Jesus card - who are you? Are you the Samaritan that stops to help or are you the good church going Pharisis who just walks on by averting your eyes and thinking about how good your preacher makes you feel on Sunday. I don't believe that economically there will be an issue at all on the value of homes and several studies have indeed shown that. But, even if there was going to be an issue, if you say you're a christian - who is Jesus the hardest on the poor or the rich?
That is really an oversimplication of Jesus' ministry but that aside . . . It is good to know that this is a group that screens renters.

What other projects are under their management in this region?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2014, 07:11 PM

7,672 posts, read 12,815,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post

What other projects are under their management in this region?
The Housing Partnership

Old 01-28-2014, 07:38 AM

1,452 posts, read 2,991,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Third Strike View Post
Because the millions in this country who live in affordable housing does so because they're lazy, and and choose to be. If you really believe that, then you're deluded to the economic inequality in this country.
Who said anything about being lazy? Too bad you try to paint this entire population with broad brush strokes.

Old 01-28-2014, 12:43 PM

645 posts, read 1,068,521 times
Maybe we could put low-income housing on Providence or Park roads. There's access to transportation, shopping, education, cultural activities, banking,medical care and entertainment--- all the things that the underprivileged need easy access to. It's already well-patrolled by CMPD, so the crime issue is under control before it can be raised. Man, the thought of it makes me wish I had a minimum wage job. I'd love to afford to live on Providence.

Old 01-29-2014, 03:38 PM

469 posts, read 891,076 times
This area doesn't really affect me, but I do have friends who live sin neighborhoods near it. The main beef that they all have is the amount of traffic that it would add and having 3 stories apartments next to a single family neighborhood. They also say that when Socrates Academy starts and dismisses, traffic is a nightmare with people trying to do all kinds of shortcuts to get their kids without getting into the carpool line and that causes a danger. So as far as I'm concerned, Socrates Academy doesn't really belong there either. If you've seen it, you know exactly what I'm talking about. This area is (was) somewhat rural and just keeps getting built up. But people are right, there's not much shopping there -it's nowhere near public transit - it's just not a good fit for such a small parcel with the density they're wanting.

But to me - one of the biggest things that people beef about is this - look at the title of this thread - Low Income housing to be built in Matthews - yeah. This area is not technically Matthews because Charlotte gobbled it up first. But yeah, it should be Matthews. So people in that area are already ticked off that Charlotte grabbed them when they don't want to be in Charlotte - and now it's Charlotte that's deciding their fate even though the organized themselves very well and showed up in force. They felt like they weren't listened to and the decision was made not matter what they did.
That's big to most of them. I've got a friend who lives right across the street in a neighborhood there and she needed to talk to a police officer once about something - not an emergency, just advice. I told her - just call the station - they'll send somebody. No - she said - remember, we're not Matthews. She called and they told her she had to call 911 and that was the only way an officer would come to her house. Crazy to me. Now when the officer did come, he was helpful and did exactly what she would have wanted a Matthews officer to do, but the way she had to go about doing it was what angered her. And she had to do it that way because she's in Charlotte and not one of them want to be. And what galls them even more is that their address is still Matthews, 28105.

Now granted there have been stuff that happened in that area that also ticked off residents that Matthews did - i.e. Erickson Properties (since fell through) many years ago. But people were at least feeling like they could have their say with their own town council - not a bunch of people who don't even know what the area is like.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte