Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2014, 07:51 AM

238 posts, read 567,854 times

Advertisements

Charlotte City Council approves rezoning for low-income apartments | CharlotteObserver.com

Wow, I guess they are trying really hard to ruin that nice area. That 70 unit low income project will ruin that once nice quiet neighborhood.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2014, 08:37 AM

21 posts, read 73,055 times
the NIMBYs lose... deservedly.

Is the quality of "that nice area" is so delicate that 70 low income households will "ruin" it? Why didn't anyone complain about the new subdivision that Lennar is building down the street? How many trips per day on "overstressed infrastructure" will that development bring?

Old 01-27-2014, 08:43 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,483,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FuzzBomb View Post

Is the quality of "that nice area" is so delicate that 70 low income households will "ruin" it? Why didn't anyone complain about the new subdivision that Lennar is building down the street? How many trips per day on "overstressed infrastructure" will that development bring?
It's really easy to be flippant about valid concerns when you aren't the resident concerned about property values as well as increased crime and overcrowding.

Just sayin'

Old 01-27-2014, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
It's really easy to be flippant about valid concerns when you aren't the resident concerned about property values as well as increased crime and overcrowding.

Just sayin'
Flippant?

You have misinterpreted.

What makes that section of Weddington Road so special? Why shouldn't there be workplace housing in that section of the county?

Again, no one complained about Franklin Meadows. Surely more than 70 homes are going in there. No one complained about the "Polo Club". Or any of the other sprawly neighborhoods that preceded those.

No, these complaints from residents are about one thing: poor people clogging up the view. And I understand, trust me. But you can't segregate them all in one area of the County.

As far as I'm concerned, this is EXACTLY what a district that would elect Bill James over and over again deserves. Times 10 (now THAT is flippant).

Last edited by FuzzBomb; 01-27-2014 at 08:59 AM..

Old 01-27-2014, 09:09 AM

595 posts, read 1,622,579 times
Quote:

Regardless of what people say about traffic and congestion, the real reason people don't want subsidized housing in their neighborhood is because it brings crime along with it.

Old 01-27-2014, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DipDog3 View Post
Regardless of what people say about traffic and congestion, the real reason people don't want subsidized housing in their neighborhood is because it brings crime along with it.
Yes. It has nothing to do with people who are low income as far as "poor people" living nearby.

Typically, subsidized housing ends up with increased crime in the area - it is not an undocumented phenomena.

And too often, trashed out properties.

I could link to all sorts of videos from across this country showing what happens . . . but I am not going to bother.

There are exceptions, and hopefully, this would be one of those situations where folks are vigilant about what is going on in/on the property, and not be so quick to allow their crackhead friends and relatives move in with them and cause problems. Call it NIMBY or stereotyping or anything else . . . it has happened over and over all over this country so people have a reason to be skeptical that this time will be different.

Old 01-27-2014, 09:19 AM

2,919 posts, read 5,805,531 times
Did not grow up in low-income housing...I like to say that i grew up in upper-lower income neighborhood. My parents owned a 2bedroom/1bath home. I have not forgotten my roots or myu "raising" It pains me to see so many people against affordable housing. Affordable housing is a stepping stone for many hardworking Americans. They are are just like everyone else.. It seems to be me people have the wrong attitude about this venture.

Old 01-27-2014, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DipDog3 View Post
That's not what they said though...

Many neighbors oppose the project. At a public hearing in December, nearly 300 people packed the council chambers, saying the project is unsuitable for the area. Many carried signs saying “Weddington Road Says No to the Rezone.”

Among their concerns: The local road network wouldn’t be able to absorb new cars. There aren’t sidewalks in the area. And a nearby charter school, Socrates Academy, is worried that its parking lot would be overrun by cars of people visiting the apartment complex.

“I’m not opposed to workforce housing,” said Mike Karris, whose children attend the school. “But I don’t think this is the right place for it. (The proposed complex) had only 110 parking spots for 70 units. Where are they going to park?

Smith, who represents District 6, said the 7.2-acre site at Simfield Church Road near Matthews is wrong for apartments. It had been zoned for a day care.

“We have lost sight that this is a land-use issue,” Smith said. “It’s a poor site.”

Read more here: Charlotte City Council approves rezoning for low-income apartments | CharlotteObserver.com

Old 01-27-2014, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by westcoastbabe View Post
Did not grow up in low-income housing...I like to say that i grew up in upper-lower income neighborhood. My parents owned a 2bedroom/1bath home. I have not forgotten my roots or myu "raising" It pains me to see so many people against affordable housing. Affordable housing is a stepping stone for many hardworking Americans. They are are just like everyone else.. It seems to be me people have the wrong attitude about this venture.
I think all of us can agree - there is nothing wrong with making affordable housing available to the working poor.

The problem is that historically, these noble ventures end up being overtaken by less than noble characters who spoil it for the folks who ARE hardworking and care about their property.

Old 01-27-2014, 09:26 AM

Quote:
That's not what they said though...

Many neighbors oppose the project. At a public hearing in December, nearly 300 people packed the council chambers, saying the project is unsuitable for the area. Many carried signs saying “Weddington Road Says No to the Rezone.”

Among their concerns: The local road network wouldn’t be able to absorb new cars. There aren’t sidewalks in the area. And a nearby charter school, Socrates Academy, is worried that its parking lot would be overrun by cars of people visiting the apartment complex.

“I’m not opposed to workforce housing,” said Mike Karris, whose children attend the school. “But I don’t think this is the right place for it. (The proposed complex) had only 110 parking spots for 70 units. Where are they going to park?

Smith, who represents District 6, said the 7.2-acre site at Simfield Church Road near Matthews is wrong for apartments. It had been zoned for a day care.

“We have lost sight that this is a land-use issue,” Smith said. “It’s a poor site.”

Read more here: Charlotte City Council approves rezoning for low-income apartments | CharlotteObserver.com
Of course it isn't what they said. The only way to stop it is to rely on zoning and land use issues.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte