Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2014, 06:24 PM

985 posts, read 1,900,869 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SINY2NC View Post
Common Core happened. This is all across the nation. Google Common Core. Kids that were learning before Common Core had a terrible time with it. Math is all riddles.
our math teacher likes it, and sent an email to all the parents about it. An excerpt from the email:
"I like the new curriculum, particularly for honors math students. It is a rigorous curriculum requiring students to interpret, analyze, hypothesize in an effort to solve problems. The ultimate goal will be to have the final exam be reflective of the curriculum."

The teacher is the math chair.

Math should make you think and apply what knowledge you have. Puzzles are math. It just needs more time to be worked out every new curriculum does
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2014, 03:59 AM

309 posts, read 765,696 times
To be honest, there are parts of Common Core for English that I like, too. Common Core, in and of itself, isn't all bad. Where things got rotten was when they started introducing all the tests and, wham, all at once. They should have said the first couple of years would be a learning curve to roll out prep materials, let teachers finish getting all their own teaching materials in line with the new standards, give the kids a taste of the new rigor, etc. THEN push those test scores.

Old 01-31-2014, 04:20 AM

985 posts, read 1,900,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by somersmom View Post
To be honest, there are parts of Common Core for English that I like, too. Common Core, in and of itself, isn't all bad. Where things got rotten was when they started introducing all the tests and, wham, all at once. They should have said the first couple of years would be a learning curve to roll out prep materials, let teachers finish getting all their own teaching materials in line with the new standards, give the kids a taste of the new rigor, etc. THEN push those test scores.
agree! It would have been better for everyone. Nothing worse than doing well for the whole course and the final not being showing what you do know especially to the kids taking the tests, and the teachers frustrated because the kids really KNOW the material.

You CAN NOT base course/curriculum knowledge on a given test either.

In the cases at the high school the new tests have 36 question and the have less time to take them. In the past they had 70+ questions covering all the concepts, and 4 hours to take the test. It does not take rocket science to know the more questions the better the grades too, plus the added time.

Eventually something will change. We probably should have opted out of the state made tests and stayed with the teacher made tests, imo

Old 01-31-2014, 07:32 AM

3,337 posts, read 5,117,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by baybook View Post
No, you are missing the larger point.

My K is enrolled in what is supposed to be one of the top schools in the state according to test scores. They had a similar drop. (But let's face it, does it matter if it was 30pts or 29 or 28????). At this point, I am evaluating the school to see how they respond, what the classroom is like, what is environment, what are they teaching, what is the PTA doing. Those are the criteria I am evaluating as the parent as a Kindergartener. For all you know, the students at the other schools are just better guessers.

My suggestion would be for you to look at the BIG picture and not chase test scores based on a point or two. Look at the trend in the data. Since you missed the earlier communications, meet with the principal. Find out what the team is doing to counter balance. Look at the big picture and make sure they are educating your child and not just teaching to a specific test.

Everyone wants what is best for their kids and most of us try to be proactive. However, at this point, if you are committed to using the public schools, it really is too early to get up in arms about a particular school. I'd be more upset with the entire system.
Your point to me was that I should concentrate on other things other than test scores since my kid is only in Kindergarten. You made it sound like I shouldn't worry until he hits 3rd grade. While your criteria above is important, we will agree to disagree regarding test scores and while yes, it MAY be early to get up in arms over the scores, better to do it now rather than later.

Old 01-31-2014, 07:39 AM

3,337 posts, read 5,117,119 times
Everyone brought up fair points and I thank you for the responses. I knew Common Core was causing grief but I guess I underestimated it. You think you do enough research before you spout off and then realize perhaps waiting another day or two to calm down from over-reacting was probably the best (especially past midnight).

I do think test scores are important, but as many have said, of course there are other criteria that are important as well when judging a school.

Old 01-31-2014, 10:27 AM

7,672 posts, read 12,811,485 times
Whoops was trying to edit! Grrr

I wouldn't worry, those kids will be "gone" by the time your kindergartner takes the test. I would instead look at the test scores and see what they are doing to improve on them in the next 2 years. Are you happy with it now? They should be teaching your child to read, how do you feel about how they are doing?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
View detailed profiles of: