U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2014, 11:38 AM

295 posts, read 453,442 times

Advertisements

Finally a solution that helped me get rid of cable!! If you can wait a day for your latest episode read below

Your TV needs to be later than 2009 which makes it all better.

Mohu leaf antenna for those OTA channels in HD for FREE and a one time cost of $40, no monthly charges

Timewarner Turbo which costs approximately $45 per month

Hulu Plus/ Netflix $8.00 per month.

Monthly dent $53..may be $60 with taxes as compared $120 per month for the triple play

Last edited by Rollingon; 01-31-2014 at 11:57 AM.. Reason: promote clarity
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2014, 12:59 PM

1,210 posts, read 1,940,080 times
This is nothing new and doesnt work for everyone. I'd cut the cord if I could get NBC Sports and BeIN tv in HD for my weekend Soccer fix online and HBO and Showtime without having to wait 6 months to a year for their programs. Most other programs that I and the wife watch can be had online for free.

Also, expect your costs to go up if Net Neutrality is shot down by the Supreme Court.

Old 01-31-2014, 07:19 PM

3,461 posts, read 4,347,553 times
Mohu Leaf will work at some locations, but it is not the best indoor antenna available. And it is overpriced. But it has a sleek and discreet design that appeals to some people. A Terk HDTVa or Clearstream 2V would likely work better, and sometimes adding an amplifier may help. All major Charlotte stations are UHF except WTVI which is VHF.

Old 01-31-2014, 07:33 PM

14 posts, read 12,756 times
I bought the Mohu leaf ultimate and it does a really good job for us. I live in the Matthews area and get great reception. We have AT&T Uverse and we are thinking seriously about cutting the cord..

Old 02-01-2014, 02:56 PM

642 posts, read 989,072 times
Antennas like the Mohu Leaf and the Winegard Flatwave FL-5000 ($33.15, Amazon) are antennas that receive signals equally from both front and back. They only places where they do not receive well are directly side on to a transmitter.

Look at www.tvfool.com and enter your address to see the compass bearing you need to point an antenna for best reception. Locating an antenna in the attic generally gives better reception than fixing it to the living room wall.

I live near Rivergate shopping center and pick up 27 digital channels via an attic mounted antenna. I started with a flat antenna such as mentioned above but I now use a yagi antenna

It is mounted in my attic and is at directed 55 degrees on my compass.

The big disadvantage of not having cable is, of course, the lack of prime TV channels. It is true that Netflix and Amazon Prime are cheaper alternatives and that the 27 channels I get OTA (over the air) do go a long way replace cable but, I have had to give up Formula 1 on NBC Sports.

Old 02-01-2014, 05:39 PM

2,149 posts, read 2,623,515 times
Getting content is easy. Getting sports is not. I'll be feeding the beast (TWC) until I can figure that one out.

Old 02-01-2014, 07:33 PM

570 posts, read 544,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinacamper View Post
I bought the Mohu leaf ultimate and it does a really good job for us. I live in the Matthews area and get great reception. We have AT&T Uverse and we are thinking seriously about cutting the cord..
I have AT&T Uverse and I hate it. I also have an indoor digital antenna. Not only does AT&T charge rather high fees for regular reception, but they charge a premium for high def stations that I already get in high def FOR FREE with my digital antenna. There's very little I need AT&T for so I'm thinking seriously about getting rid of the cable for goo.

Old 02-02-2014, 04:58 AM

7,672 posts, read 9,917,397 times
If there was a steady way of getting new syfy, diynet/hgtv and the natgeo shows, I would cut in a heartbeat.

Old 02-02-2014, 03:21 PM

345 posts, read 721,480 times
I don't watch TV very much so I am cutting TMC as well. Since 2000 I have been paying for the very basic service (back then it was $9.98 per month) and now the same service is $19.35. My HDTV is a 2008 model and I ordered an HD interior antenna and will see how that works next week when it arrives.

Old 02-02-2014, 06:32 PM

642 posts, read 989,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkforu View Post
I don't watch TV very much so I am cutting TMC as well. Since 2000 I have been paying for the very basic service (back then it was $9.98 per month) and now the same service is $19.35. My HDTV is a 2008 model and I ordered an HD interior antenna and will see how that works next week when it arrives.
Your TV really needs to have a digital tuner built in to be able to receive the current crop of stations. Nearly all stations are now digital. See www.tvfool.com for a map and a list of all digital and analog (there are none) that you may receive. Several are in HD.

As I said earlier, I get 27 and many are just rubbish. Others are pretty good BUT, no major sports or movies.

Services like Netflix and Amazon will ultimately usurp the cable companies. They will do it on proce and market penetration. The traditional cable services are dead but just don't know it yet. Once Netflix get the Superbowl, it will be game over.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte