U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 02-02-2014, 04:17 PM
 
118 posts, read 149,567 times
Reputation: 90

Advertisements

I will have lived in Charlotte for 1 year next Thursday. Why does it appear that 9 out of 10 places that I go out to eat in Charlotte I receive inconsistent food and/or service? We just went to Chipotle on South Blvd. I knew better when I saw their 94 sanitation rating, my pulled pork was raw; but my GF was hungry for the super bowl. I called the manager and said I got the pulled pork and it was raw and she said "our pulled pork is fully cooked SIR." This is a typical response (defensive and not taking responsibility). We ran into a similar response at Mac's, Mellow Mushroom, Longhorn, Original Pancake House, Villa Antonio, Penn Station, Midnight Diner, Rock Bottom, etc. You can hit places on their good days but go back the same week and get subpar performance. I know that I am not crazy because I see other people sending food back and making comments about dirty waitstaff touching their noses and butts. Is poor customer service part of the Charlotte or Southern Culture? No, the problem is not us. We have been known on occasion to leave 40% tips and always top 20% when earned.

I understand that you do not want to eat anywhere that has a food rating of 95 and below. This is my new rule. We will never eat anywhere that is a 95 and below. I was informed that anything 95 and below means that when the inspector showed up there was a serious issue that they found; cross contamination, dead mouse, etc.

I am from a different region and have different expectations. yes, I will be taking 85 out of town shortly. Until then I would like to know what's up and why is it like this. I even heard Capital Grill is hit or miss (truly amazing).

Thanks,
SM
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-02-2014, 08:57 PM
 
Location: Jersey City
398 posts, read 760,625 times
Reputation: 477
Inconsistent gas mileage and food service? Interesting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-02-2014, 09:04 PM
 
8,402 posts, read 20,375,209 times
Reputation: 6775
Quote:
Originally Posted by djshinodalp View Post
Inconsistent gas mileage and food service? Interesting.
I'm seeing a trend in all of OP's threads.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-02-2014, 10:22 PM
 
2,746 posts, read 1,774,535 times
Reputation: 3380
Quote:
Originally Posted by djshinodalp View Post
Inconsistent gas mileage and food service? Interesting.
Mix in cable scams, no alcohol on Sundays plus Asian brothels and you have the intriguing life of the OP.

Last edited by Mike930; 02-02-2014 at 10:30 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-03-2014, 05:01 AM
 
7,672 posts, read 9,942,233 times
Reputation: 7953
Quote:
Originally Posted by djshinodalp View Post
Inconsistent gas mileage and food service? Interesting.
Don't forget inconsistent cable too. I wonder if the OP is from Atlanta? If these types of posts helps stop the exodus into Charlotte.......

Op, yes! Every one of our restaurants here are truly misses. Don't ever eat out!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-03-2014, 06:51 AM
 
1,259 posts, read 1,271,014 times
Reputation: 1078
Quote:
Originally Posted by smaddaline View Post
I will have lived in Charlotte for 1 year next Thursday. Why does it appear that 9 out of 10 places that I go out to eat in Charlotte I receive inconsistent food and/or service? We just went to Chipotle on South Blvd. I knew better when I saw their 94 sanitation rating, my pulled pork was raw; but my GF was hungry for the super bowl. I called the manager and said I got the pulled pork and it was raw and she said "our pulled pork is fully cooked SIR." This is a typical response (defensive and not taking responsibility). We ran into a similar response at Mac's, Mellow Mushroom, Longhorn, Original Pancake House, Villa Antonio, Penn Station, Midnight Diner, Rock Bottom, etc. You can hit places on their good days but go back the same week and get subpar performance. I know that I am not crazy because I see other people sending food back and making comments about dirty waitstaff touching their noses and butts. Is poor customer service part of the Charlotte or Southern Culture? No, the problem is not us. We have been known on occasion to leave 40% tips and always top 20% when earned.

I understand that you do not want to eat anywhere that has a food rating of 95 and below. This is my new rule. We will never eat anywhere that is a 95 and below. I was informed that anything 95 and below means that when the inspector showed up there was a serious issue that they found; cross contamination, dead mouse, etc.

I am from a different region and have different expectations. yes, I will be taking 85 out of town shortly. Until then I would like to know what's up and why is it like this. I even heard Capital Grill is hit or miss (truly amazing).

Thanks,
SM
Part of me says I shouldn't respond but here goes. Your pork wasn't raw, or undercooked. Pulled pork, can only be pulled pork if it is fully cooked. buy a pork roast. cook it for 30 minutes and try to shred it. Won't happen. Its the cooking process that does this. Now it is done at a low temp, for a long time and true smoked pull pork will sometimes take on a reddish hue from the process. That's why the manager took no responsibility. He knew it was impossible for pulled pork to be undercooked.

I'm in my 14th year of working in restuarants, you couldn't be further from the truth when it comes to sanitation scores. You could get a 90 and be a very clean restaurant. You could have had 10 one point deductions, which is nothing serious. Or you could have had 2 major infractions. which is very serious.

My restuarant, has never scored below a 98 in 7 years of inspections. We work very hard for that, but more importantly, our exe chef, and our GM work very hard to build a relationship with the inspector. Many times over the years the inspector found something wrong and was like I can take 4 points off for this, and the most we ever lost was a point. The inspectors are given great leeway. Years ago I worked for a chef that was a dick, and guess what the inspector in turn was a dick back. We got a 90 one time, and guess what we lost 4 pts on a open door on the dumpster that was a 100 feet from the building, and the last time the inspector was out he told the chef to re caulk some stainless in the kitchen. Pot head chef forgot, and bam another 4 points. Was the restaurant clean? It sure was, but the inspector was a dick that day. Any restaurant could fail, if the inspector wanted it too.

I'm sure you know a lot about a lot of different things, but food and food service isn't one of them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-03-2014, 07:06 AM
 
Location: location, location!
1,915 posts, read 1,737,208 times
Reputation: 1869
Quote:
Originally Posted by tread102 View Post
He knew it was impossible for pulled pork to be undercooked.
Yeah, I'm struggling to understand how the OP thinks his pulled pork was raw. You can't shred pork until it's been cooked a long time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-03-2014, 07:12 AM
 
Location: Matthews, NC
14,693 posts, read 23,154,036 times
Reputation: 14334
Quote:
Originally Posted by tread102 View Post
Part of me says I shouldn't respond but here goes. Your pork wasn't raw, or undercooked. Pulled pork, can only be pulled pork if it is fully cooked. buy a pork roast. cook it for 30 minutes and try to shred it. Won't happen. Its the cooking process that does this. Now it is done at a low temp, for a long time and true smoked pull pork will sometimes take on a reddish hue from the process. That's why the manager took no responsibility. He knew it was impossible for pulled pork to be undercooked.

I'm in my 14th year of working in restuarants, you couldn't be further from the truth when it comes to sanitation scores. You could get a 90 and be a very clean restaurant. You could have had 10 one point deductions, which is nothing serious. Or you could have had 2 major infractions. which is very serious.

My restuarant, has never scored below a 98 in 7 years of inspections. We work very hard for that, but more importantly, our exe chef, and our GM work very hard to build a relationship with the inspector. Many times over the years the inspector found something wrong and was like I can take 4 points off for this, and the most we ever lost was a point. The inspectors are given great leeway. Years ago I worked for a chef that was a dick, and guess what the inspector in turn was a dick back. We got a 90 one time, and guess what we lost 4 pts on a open door on the dumpster that was a 100 feet from the building, and the last time the inspector was out he told the chef to re caulk some stainless in the kitchen. Pot head chef forgot, and bam another 4 points. Was the restaurant clean? It sure was, but the inspector was a dick that day. Any restaurant could fail, if the inspector wanted it too.

I'm sure you know a lot about a lot of different things, but food and food service isn't one of them.
I had exactly the same thought as you about not being able to pull raw pork and the pinkish hue. One thing I like about NC is that you can look up restaurant inspections online and see exactly what the violations are. It help you make a much more informed decision.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-03-2014, 07:26 AM
 
Location: Charlotte NC
11,808 posts, read 9,403,309 times
Reputation: 5274
I feel for the waitstaff who has to deal with the OP.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-03-2014, 07:27 AM
 
Location: Matthews, NC
14,693 posts, read 23,154,036 times
Reputation: 14334
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post
I feel for the waitstaff who has to deal with the OP.
Reminds me of the guy who was always ranting about prime rib.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Similar Threads
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:13 AM.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top