Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2016, 07:59 PM

5,160 posts, read 7,351,784 times

Advertisements

Back to the Bloomingdale's topic, I wonder if Macy's has recently considered converting the SouthPark store to Bloomingdale's. They are currently examining their real estate nationwide and have announced plans to close 100 Macy's stores next year. I would guess the SouthPark store is the best Macy's in Charlotte, so they may leave it alone. Although Belk still dominates the Charlotte market. And I guess the Northlake Macy's may remain, but I am curious about Carolina Place. And there is speculation the Friendly Center Macy's in Greensboro may close due to underperforming sales and competition from Belk.

But I have not heard much talk about Bloomingdale's as Macy's Inc. seems to be concentrating currently on revitalizing the Macy's brand.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2016, 08:24 PM

23,814 posts, read 34,670,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerSC View Post
Back to the Bloomingdale's topic, I wonder if Macy's has recently considered converting the SouthPark store to Bloomingdale's. They are currently examining their real estate nationwide and have announced plans to close 100 Macy's stores next year. I would guess the SouthPark store is the best Macy's in Charlotte, so they may leave it alone. Although Belk still dominates the Charlotte market. And I guess the Northlake Macy's may remain, but I am curious about Carolina Place. And there is speculation the Friendly Center Macy's in Greensboro may close due to underperforming sales and competition from Belk.

But I have not heard much talk about Bloomingdale's as Macy's Inc. seems to be concentrating currently on revitalizing the Macy's brand.
I'd rather that Macy's bring back Bambergers.

Old 09-18-2016, 11:37 PM

Since Macy's took over Hecht's, Strawbridges, Kauffman's, Rich's, Lazarus, and Burdine's they have had trouble managing some of the conversions. And the former Marshall Field's in Chicago was a bit more upscale than the Macy's replacement, and folks lament the loss of familiar names such as Bamberger's and Rich's.

Old 09-19-2016, 04:57 AM

Quote:
Since Macy's took over Hecht's, Strawbridges, Kauffman's, Rich's, Lazarus, and Burdine's they have had trouble managing some of the conversions. And the former Marshall Field's in Chicago was a bit more upscale than the Macy's replacement, and folks lament the loss of familiar names such as Bamberger's and Rich's.
Bambergers has been gone for a long time, but was superior to Macy's, especially with the quality of the merchandise.

The Philadelphia department store debacle that you're referring to with Strawbridges involved 2 department stores in the May Company's ham-handed attempt to take over Philadelphia retail. That probably took them down. I could see Macy's having problems with the remains of the May Company, unless their behavior in Philadelphia was not the norm for them. It wasn't a huge surprise when Macy's took over the May Company stores. They had tried to acquire Wanamakers & had lost out to the May Company. It they have Marshal Fields plus the Wanamaker building in Philadelphia, they have the two crown jewels in US retail history.

With the return to cities & subsquent decline in malls, I would not be surprised if Macy's shut a lot of mall stores & looked to rehab remaining old department stores. If they have an opportunity, I could see them relocating to Uptown in Charlotte.

Old 09-19-2016, 03:38 PM

Well, apparently some of the downtown Macy's stores are more valuable for the real estate rather than the retail component. In some cities, the downtown stores have been sold and converted to offices, apartments, or other retail. I believe the Macy's in Downtown Pittsburgh has closed, which was a former Kauffman's flagship store. But the former flagship Wanamaker's in Downtown Philadelphia remains with the famous pipe organ, as well as the flagship Marshall Field's in Chicago, and of course the original flagship in Herald Square in New York City.

It would be great to have a downtown dept. store in Charlotte again, since the big Belk store was demolished for the Bank of America tower. But not sure that is under consideration.

Old 09-19-2016, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Well, apparently some of the downtown Macy's stores are more valuable for the real estate rather than the retail component. In some cities, the downtown stores have been sold and converted to offices, apartments, or other retail. I believe the Macy's in Downtown Pittsburgh has closed, which was a former Kauffman's flagship store. But the former flagship Wanamaker's in Downtown Philadelphia remains with the famous pipe organ, as well as the flagship Marshall Field's in Chicago, and of course the original flagship in Herald Square in New York City.

It would be great to have a downtown dept. store in Charlotte again, since the big Belk store was demolished for the Bank of America tower. But not sure that is under consideration.
Since John Wanamaker & Marshall Fields brought the European department store concept to this country I believe that the natives in Philadelphia & Chicago would hit the streets with pitchforks if anyone attempted to tear down those buildings.

Macy's should consider a freestanding department store in Uptown. If they don't want to fill it all as a Macy's they should build it in such a way that Macy's would be on one side & Bloomingdales was on the other.

I think retailers are so afraid of online shopping that they've lost their senses. In Philadelphia the Wanamakers building alone drives customers into the store. It's an experience that they can't get at home, shopping in their pjs & nightgowns. You gather around the eagle with hundreds of strangers, & listen to the organ & watch the light show. If they provided a unique experience in Charlotte, you'd have to beat back the people.

Old 09-20-2016, 02:58 PM

From what I am reading, Macy's is considering closing various downtown stores rather than expanding. The real estate may be more profitable than the retail. And if a dept. store were to return to Uptown Charlotte, it would probably be a Belk. But I don't think the new owners are considering that either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte