U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2007, 08:35 AM

2,447 posts, read 6,642,987 times

Advertisements

I guess it's all relative. I'm a NC native and I definitely need a coat in the winter! I love the heat and cold temps make me wimpy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2007, 06:05 PM

20 posts, read 20,133 times
We have lived here approx 9 years. Winter of 2000 we had a ton of snow. I believe over 17 inches in some areas of Union County (south of Charlotte). We do usually have an ice storm or two, some years worse than others. Please be aware that if they are calling for ice/snow, school and many business will more than likely be closed. In the rare case that the forcasters are actually accurate about the ice/snow prediction, you should definately plan to stay off the roads! Although, you are certainly experianced at winter driving, the average driver here is not. They seem to assume having a $40,000 SUV exempts them from the laws of physics. All kidding aside, it is usually fairly mild in Charlotte. Approx every 2-3 years we get a small accumulation of snow that will last 1-2 days (this is only accurate for southern Charlotte, the northern parts seem to have far more snow sightings).

Old 12-02-2007, 06:32 PM

5,661 posts, read 24,632,798 times
Yearly Snow Totals for Charlotte
(1879-2005)

http://www.erh.noaa.gov/gsp/climate/cltann.htm

National Weather Service

Old 12-03-2007, 10:26 AM

13 posts, read 37,485 times
I moved from New Hampshire a year ago. I have yet to use my winter coat. Today it will be a high of 55 and windy. In NH snow and freezing. I have found that in the am it usually is in the thirties and as soon as noon comes around it warms up in the fifties or higher. I just put my heat on. Maybe they get bad weather sometimes but it is always sunny here so I will deal.

Old 12-03-2007, 11:36 AM

3,099 posts, read 4,124,510 times
There are years with lots of snow, years with very little. INteresting tidbit: North Carolina is the ice storm capital of North America, with more ice storms than just about anywhere else on average. The area has had some devastating, legendary ice storms in the last couple of decades that cripple the region for days to weeks. Some winters are very mild, other winters quite cold. Even when it's mild, you never know when the bottom will drop out. SOme of the biggest snows and cold waves come after record warmth. So yes, Charlotte can be quite wintry, but you never know.

Old 12-05-2007, 07:27 AM

19 posts, read 12,200 times
Starting this saturday, the temps are going to be mid to upper 60's through next Tuesday. I'm happy...

Old 12-05-2007, 08:10 AM

1,472 posts, read 3,660,674 times
NC gets roller coaster weather. Mainly highs in the 50's, with lows in the upper 20's to lower 30's. Sometimes there is a streak of a few days with upper 60's to near 70's before falling back. Sometimes there are cold snaps with highs not getting above freezing. Your location in NC also affects your weather.

After the blistering summer we had with several days of temps above 100, high humidity, and no rain, I welcome cold weather.

I love snow and look forward to it. We are more likely to see ice though which can be crippling. You can count on atleast one ice storm here each winter.

This "beautiful weather" we have been experiencing ie no rain, is particulary bad. We are on our way to having the driest year here - ever. Most communities are under water restrictions, no lawn watering or car washing. This drought concerns me the most more than temperatures. Is it a drought that will last just into next year or for several years to come? It is possible.

Old 12-05-2007, 08:29 AM

4,222 posts, read 6,710,745 times
It is true that southerners are not very experienced at driving during snowstorms. But regardless of where one is from, there is a learning curve. Whenever snow or icy roads occur, it doesn't matter from where a person comes, they have to readjust. I lived in Nebraska, Minnesota, and Massachusetts and there seems to be as many accidents during the beginning of snow season as there is anywhere. It doesn't take experience to keep you safe, it only requires common sense. That explains why the last time I drove in South Carolina during an icestorm, most of the cars in the ditch were from New York and Pennsylvania. Goes to show that common sense can compensate for experience. Drive carefully everyone and watch that bloody black ice.

Old 12-05-2007, 04:11 PM

247 posts, read 667,631 times
We've been here five years and it's never snowed more than 6 inches at a time and hardly more than that all winter. Big ice storm once every few years. As cold as it is now, that's pretty much how it's going to be te rest of the season...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan101 View Post
For example, what's the average snowfall?

Average temperatures?

I've seen the graphs this site has, but I want to ask the folks that actually live there from their viewpoint of experience.

Old 12-05-2007, 04:19 PM

4,730 posts, read 17,765,382 times
December 4, 2002 we had a brutal ice storm, It was warm and leaves were still on the trees which made it horrendoues due to the weight.

February 2004 we got 17 inches of snow within a few hours. It melted within a few hours. Don't believe the weather reports when they call for snow. 96% of the time it doesn't happen. The nearest weather station to us is in Greensboro so weather people get their data from there which can be different since it's 90 minutes away.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte