Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2007, 06:45 PM

44 posts, read 158,172 times

Advertisements

For example, what's the average snowfall?

Average temperatures?

I've seen the graphs this site has, but I want to ask the folks that actually live there from their viewpoint of experience.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2007, 06:57 PM

3,662 posts, read 9,666,672 times
Pretty mild. A couple weeks in the 30s, mostly in the 40/50's, and about a week in the 20s or below. Ice storms 0-3 times per season, and snowfall probably averages a few inches per year, though some years we get no accumulation while other years we get 6-8". Once in a blue moon we'll get a good storm with a foot of snow, maybe every 5 years.

Old 11-30-2007, 07:40 PM

5,660 posts, read 26,999,303 times
Historical averages over a 57-year period as recorded at the Charlotte Douglas International Airport.

CHARLOTTE WSO ARPT, NORTH CAROLINA - Climate Summary

Southeast Regional Climate Center

The Charlotte snow record is 17.4" in a single storm.

Record Snow Events - http://www.erh.noaa.gov/gsp/climate/cltsf.htm

National Weather Service

Last edited by mm34b; 11-30-2007 at 07:49 PM..

Old 11-30-2007, 08:09 PM

536 posts, read 1,693,486 times
Default Let it Snow, Let it Snow, Let it RAIN!

Last year we had 2-3 inches, melted by late afternoon.

I was not here, but I hear a few years ago we had over 12 and it was gone in a day or two (but don't quote me on that, since it is second hand!)

Last edited by mm34b; 11-30-2007 at 08:17 PM..

Old 11-30-2007, 08:18 PM

5,660 posts, read 26,999,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith "Baby-Face" Lutz View Post
Last year we had 2-3 inches, melted by late afternoon.

I was not here, but I hear a few years ago we had over 12 and it was gone in a day or two (but don't quote me on that, since it is second hand!)
February 26 & 27, 2004 - 13.2" at the airport.

Old 11-30-2007, 10:06 PM

56 posts, read 221,428 times
We haven't had much snow in the last 3 or 4 years. It is a perfect snow when we get some though, because it comes in the morning and the kids get to miss school & play and build their snowmen and then by 2pm it is gone and life is back to normal and you can still make it to soccer practice. Perfect!

Old 11-30-2007, 10:19 PM
NCN

21,662 posts, read 25,625,398 times
North Carolina is a little like Colorado in that if you don't like the weather; stick around and it will change. It is a little hard to say what is normal, because next year it may not be. We just enjoy the variety.

Old 12-01-2007, 07:55 AM

382 posts, read 1,887,944 times
The good thing about winter here is that it is relatively short, at least compared to Ohio where I came from. And its not unusual to have a 70 degree day or two in the middle of January. But it is still cold enough to utilize your fireplaces, scrape frost off your car and need a winter coat.

Old 12-01-2007, 08:05 AM

1,105 posts, read 4,570,076 times
Exactly (unless you are inthe mountains of course). Even there though they have lots of nice days.

We have cold days but we have more days with the highs in the sunny 50s and 60s. We will have a few days where the high barely gets above freezing but then a few days later the high will be in the 60s. On my wedding day, Feb 6, it was even in the 70s. We were all sweating because the AC wasn't on!

It seems like every 8-10 years we get a good snow. Here in Fort Mill, we almost got two feet of snow in 2004. The last time I remember getting close to that was when I was 14 which would have been around '88 but I believe we did get some snow in between I just don't remember. We can get some major ice storms. We used to get them almost every year but I don't think we've had a bad one in the last few years. That might be the only positive about global warming!

Old 12-01-2007, 08:26 AM

1,166 posts, read 3,910,881 times
I agree with all that PINK has said except for the winter coat info. I have one that I never wear - I bought it when I went to visit my family in Minnesota and it just takes up space in the hall closet.

For me, coming from Minnesota (and then to New England and NY) the greatest aspect of Carolina winters is their brevity. In Minnesota we would all be depressed in March because of the seemingly endless winter whereas in Charlotte in March we are enjoying our daffodils and other little "snow" flowers. I've been known to plant a garden at the end of February.

On the other end of the calendar, before I had a greenhouse, many a year I didn't bring my house plants in until late November. AND last evening, I spent over an hour on my computer tracking a major snowstorm heading toward Iowa and Minnesota so that my sister and her husband, driving home from a visit down here, wouldn't be snowbound.

But then as others have said nothing is certain about the weather here. One December about five or six years ago, we were without electricity for five cold days because of an ice storm which took down the power lines. Some folks buy emergency generators for these occasions. Duke Power never seems to be prepared for these little surprises.

I don't want to leave on a negative note because I love Charlotte winters where I wear a heavy cardigan instead of a coat from November until March, have breakfast on my deck on an occasional January morning and have Lenten Roses blooming all
winter.

[+
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte