U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2007, 10:02 AM

822 posts, read 2,540,697 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ffire View Post
Thanks for that information, it does put it into perspective. It sounds like the glitz on the web re schools in Union County could be a bit misplaced.
Certainly what people have posted here is very informative and useful but out of curiosity what websites had you seen/read?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2007, 01:53 PM

4,222 posts, read 6,710,745 times
Well, when I spent extended time in NYC in the past, I couldn't get livermush, cheerwine, catfish, or sweetened iced tea. Guess that means that NYC was in the thralls of change as well?

Old 12-02-2007, 02:40 PM

175 posts, read 405,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by muffinman View Post
Certainly what people have posted here is very informative and useful but out of curiosity what websites had you seen/read?

Hi!

Mainly demographics and population data. Here are some - hope they help!

Charlotte.com : Charlotte news, events, Panthers, Bobcats, jobs, cars, homes (http://www.charlotte.com/ - broken link)

Charlotte NC Chamber of Commerce, Charlotte North Carolina Relocation, Charlotte Uptown Condo

these are the ones I have bookmarked as being most helpful!

Last edited by SunnyKayak; 12-02-2007 at 05:29 PM.. Reason: competition links

Old 12-02-2007, 04:36 PM

1,031 posts, read 2,144,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vindaloo View Post
Well, when I spent extended time in NYC in the past, I couldn't get livermush, cheerwine, catfish, or sweetened iced tea. Guess that means that NYC was in the thralls of change as well?
snicker.....

Old 12-02-2007, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Specifically for Union County, two that I find invaluable are

The Village Scribe Online (an interesting and sometime amusing political blog) and WAXHAWEXCHANGE.COM (part of the Monroe Enquirer/Journal, news for western UC).

I urge all newcomers doing research to take a look at these for more depth on what goes on in UC.

Old 12-02-2007, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlat View Post
Specifically for Union County, two that I find invaluable are

The Village Scribe Online (an interesting and sometime amusing political blog) and WAXHAWEXCHANGE.COM (part of the Monroe Enquirer/Journal, news for western UC).

I urge all newcomers doing research to take a look at these for more depth on what goes on in UC.
I heard about the Waxhaw Exchange but when I typed it in the EJ (enquirer journal) site comes up. I buy the online EJ once in a great while...their fee for the online version won't change. I wonder if there's a printed version of the Waxhaw Exchange.

The Village Scribe (Mark Decker, I think is the name) is an interesting read. I've noticed the responses to his blog posts are concentrated among a half dozen or so names. I wonder if he would have more people would post comments on his site if posters could be anonymous.

Old 12-03-2007, 03:04 PM

Quote:
I heard about the Waxhaw Exchange but when I typed it in the EJ (enquirer journal) site comes up. I buy the online EJ once in a great while...their fee for the online version won't change. I wonder if there's a printed version of the Waxhaw Exchange.

The Village Scribe (Mark Decker, I think is the name) is an interesting read. I've noticed the responses to his blog posts are concentrated among a half dozen or so names. I wonder if he would have more people would post comments on his site if posters could be anonymous.
You can get to the Waxhaw Exchange (for free), if you click the link on the lower left side off the EJ home page. It only comes out on Sunday's since November.

Mark DiBiasio runs the VSO site. He's a newcomer (..not from NC) and a political junkie. You can post under an assumed handle, but you must provide a legit email address. There's a regular group that hang out there, even a few current and ex-elected officials stop by. It's a good read to find out what is going on with UC's political situation, without all the boosterism you see on so many other sites.

Old 12-04-2007, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlat View Post
You can get to the Waxhaw Exchange (for free), if you click the link on the lower left side off the EJ home page. It only comes out on Sunday's since November.

Mark DiBiasio runs the VSO site. He's a newcomer (..not from NC) and a political junkie. You can post under an assumed handle, but you must provide a legit email address. There's a regular group that hang out there, even a few current and ex-elected officials stop by. It's a good read to find out what is going on with UC's political situation, without all the boosterism you see on so many other sites.
Thank you for correcting my information. Always interested in learning.

Another source is to read the agendas and minutes of local school boards. For example I read UCPS is going to take bids to build an addition to Marvin Elementary.

Old 12-04-2007, 06:36 PM

58 posts, read 164,639 times
Well, I have to admit that I never heard of livermush or cheerwine so I needed to educate myself. Here are a couple of links for anyone else that is unfamiliar. I'm hoping to try some cheerwine when I come down so let me know if there is a place in particular I should go.
What Happened to Poor Man's Pate? | Daily Yonder
Cheerwine.com - Protecting Your Right
Here is a link to a place with Southern cooking and catfish in NYC...hopefully the tea on their menu is sweet tea.
Miss Mamie's Spoonbread Too Restaurant#

It is easy to miss the tastes of home when you leave an area but I love to try new things when I travel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vindaloo View Post

Old 01-08-2011, 11:22 AM

1 posts, read 1,966 times
Coming from northern virginia. Nurse, husband retired, 12yr. old son. Thinking about relocating to Charlotte, NC. Looking for area with good schools, family oriented, hospital and shopping close by-walking distance would be good. Parks near by.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or