U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2007, 08:31 AM

29 posts, read 91,346 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sstarrx3 View Post
We are moving to Charlotte next week. Moss Creek and Glen Grove are two communities we were looking at to build. We signed a 6 month lease on a home in Cornelius to live in while our home is being built. If we build in Moss Creek we are looking to build with Shea. Some folks had experiences with them in other communites that weren't positive, but I haven't heard anybody complain about building with them in Moss Creek. I think they have a pretty good rep overall. I was out there in April. It is a lovely community with nice ammenities. It is kinda rural, but those satellite photos are really out of date. There are allot more homes actually built now than the ones that show on those photos. It is still pretty close to where I will be working in the University area and it has good schools. We actually preferred the house in Glen Grove, built by M/I. That neighborhood is on the South side of 85 near the Lowes Speed Way. It has a smaller pool, but it is a much smaller community. It has less trees, because it was built on pasture land, where Moss Creek was surrounded by Forest. the M/I home was a little more in price too, but again you get a bigger lot. If you really like Moss Creek you might want to try another builder like Shea or Ryan
I think you'll hear complaints about every builder.....we looked at Moss Creek when we were thinking about buying in the Univ. area....I really liked that neighborhood and really felt like it would have been a great investment.

It was a little pricey for us, but i think we could have done it...however we have decided to go to the opposite side of charlotte.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2007, 08:37 AM

367 posts, read 928,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moving to SW Charlotte View Post
I think you'll hear complaints about every builder.....we looked at Moss Creek when we were thinking about buying in the Univ. area....I really liked that neighborhood and really felt like it would have been a great investment.

It was a little pricey for us, but i think we could have done it...however we have decided to go to the opposite side of charlotte.
Yes, I agree. If my Job wasn't North we probably would have built in Union County. The best thing anyone can do is hire an inspector to make sure things aren't messed up from the get go

Old 06-05-2007, 09:34 PM

117 posts, read 367,178 times
With regards to Moss Creek, my family and I have just bought a home here in March. We love it here. It is a wonderful community, great neighbors, great amenities and close to everything. The new elementary school (in the development) will open in August. It is next to a 3 year old middle school. NOt sure if schools are important but we love Odell Elementary School. Wonderful teachers and principal. I do not know much about Merritt homes, I bought a McCar home and am very happy. My parents also moved down from NJ and bought a McCar home and they are very happy. Any further questions please PM me. I would be happy to answer them for you.

Old 07-30-2007, 03:26 PM

2 posts, read 4,529 times
Default Merritt Homes

Merritt Homes was never owned by or in part by Dale Huffman.

He was an employee and a bad one who was let go.

Merritt Homes is a completely differnent company with all new employees.

Come in and see for yourself.

We are only want to build good homes for good people.

Old 07-30-2007, 03:33 PM

2 posts, read 4,529 times
Default Regarding Rene

She failed to write back that her deposit was refunded and that it was never in question that she would not get her money back.

She failed to fullfill her part of the contract not Merritt Homes.

A Judge said so and Merritt still refunded her deposit!

Old 09-13-2007, 06:25 PM

1 posts, read 2,243 times
BEWARE of Merritt Homes!

I know for a fact that many of their homes have labor leins on them for not paying their contractors. They will charge you for your home, take your money and then not pay the contractors who build in so by the time you get in it you already have liens on it. Trust me on what I say...I know first hand.

Old 03-22-2008, 03:57 PM

1 posts, read 2,160 times
Merritt Homes has since (nov. 2007 i believe) been effectively shut down, their CFO (or some higher up) was embezzeling money and doing shaddy things. We were interested in on, the sales girl was actually great, we had a deposit put down and received it back no problems. We've since moved on however, looking elsewhere in Moss Creek & Skybrook. We love Ryland, they have a great reputation, however skybrook is a little pricier than Moss Creek, so that is holding us back. I think we are leaning towards a McCarr home now, heard great things about them, we've been looking for 2 years and have had experiences on and off with them in that time, and everyone we've spoken with has been very helpful, patient, knowledgable, etc. We were also looking at Evergreen Home Builders in Moss Creek, we were too slow and they've since closed that part of the neighborhood/sold out, however our sales lady over there says there should be a new Evergreen community opening closer to Lowes & Hwy49 (Roberta/Robinson Church Area), i am not sure the size, price range, or floorplans available the community has not opened yet, but it's something to look out for.

ryan & shea - are typical builders - they are really big companies, lots of "red tape" in getting things approved (whereas most of the others above are local/regional- smaller)... if you want an inventory home - then you should be fine, because they dont let you make many changes (outside their "options" list)... since i am very picky & opinionated & want it the way i do--- i steered away from them. But reputation & building wise they are pretty good.

ps. be careful in skybrook also - meck. county/huntersville has "annexed" (if you want to call it that) so taxes & schools,etc. are different in certain parts of the neighborhood. moss creek is well into cabarrus county. also ryland has a neighborhood - cannon crossing - which is just across the street from moss creek, however it is actually priced slightly higher, for the same plans in skybrook, but lower taxes..... blah blah blah.

hope all this helps.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or