Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-27-2014, 05:04 PM

1,949 posts, read 5,967,250 times

Advertisements

We just bought a house in the area. Today, we got a weird letter. Handwritten envelope with a post mark.

Inside, handwritten letter on yellow legal paper addressed to my husband in this manner:

This is not my husband's real name, but an example:

If real name is: Joseph William Smith, letter was addressed: Joseph & Will Smith

Obviously, he got his partial name from some public records. It says he and his wife, "Jane" would like to $buy$ our property. Call......blah blah. Number is registered in Cornelius.

We love to be entertained, so we blocked our number and called. Answering service wanted our info for a call back, which we did not give, but we checked his name on LinkedIn and he is a real estate investment company.

So, what's the scam? We just bought this house...it's wasn't a foreclosure or short sale and I would think if it was a business taking advantage of financially strapped people, the letter would have gone to a seller, not a buyer.

I am just curious. What is the angle here?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2014, 07:38 PM

2,348 posts, read 3,440,513 times
You have similar companies to the one that contacted you that purchase distressed properties to resale or rent out and perhaps they just send letters out to all new property owners in a particular region/area they are interested in buying real estate in to see.

Old 02-27-2014, 08:19 PM

4,761 posts, read 7,798,618 times
You'll get all kinds of solicitations for the next few weeks. If it isn't a bill or something from someone you know, toss it. We got all kinds of solicitations for everything from mortgage protection, to life insurance to fence builders. This one sounds no different.

We closed on a house in October and received junk solicitations well into November.

Old 02-27-2014, 08:31 PM

2,186 posts, read 4,162,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spankys bbq View Post
You'll get all kinds of solicitations for the next few weeks. If it isn't a bill or something from someone you know, toss it. We got all kinds of solicitations for everything from mortgage protection, to life insurance to fence builders. This one sounds no different.

We closed on a house in October and received junk solicitations well into November.
I especially like the mortgage protection letters that pretend to be from the bank that owns my loan. If they come with a business reply envelope, I usually just seal the envelope and mail it back. If I'm in a mood, I throw in a piece of paper that just says "How much did this cost you?" on it.

Old 02-27-2014, 09:05 PM

1,949 posts, read 5,967,250 times
Yes, we've gotten tons of solicitations. I was just wondering why someone who wants to buy a distressed property at a bargain would contact a new homeowner and not a seller.

Old 02-27-2014, 09:08 PM

3,774 posts, read 8,159,329 times
Inventory is low.

People are cold calling looking for listings/investments.

Nothing more.

Old 02-28-2014, 04:06 AM

1,456 posts, read 4,130,051 times
I got a letter just like that -- handwritten, yellow legal paper and all --but it was about my house in Michigan that I don't live in anymore. I called the number and talked to the guy. He said they're a real estate investment company, that they buy lists of homes and send out letters. Said they got my name and address from a list of non-owner occupied houses. Seemed legit, but not something I think I'll be interested in. I think they're just looking for bargains. I doubt if it's the same company as the people who contacted you, but maybe this is a standard technique.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte