Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-04-2007, 10:30 AM

80 posts, read 326,655 times

Advertisements

I am hoping someone can help me to find a better quality of life for my family. Right now we live in a small, rural town of PA. My 10 year old daughter has a sensory integration disorder/ possible bipolar depression. She is also extremely bright, and she gets bored easily. Her symptoms seem to peak in the cold, winter months. She does better when she can be outdoors in nature for at least a part of the day. Anyway, the school she attends does not know how to handle this situation. It is a small school with not a lot of funding, although our taxes are very high. (I never did quite understand that.) The school does not have a gifted program, and some of the teachers seem like they would just rather not deal with it. She had one excellent teacher in her five years of schooling, but this year there is difficulty again. I apologize for rambling. What I am trying to find is an area with some natural beauty that has excellent schools with dedicated teachers, a gifted program, and help for special needs children. I have to escape these long, cold, winters that seem to drag on. Can you think of any towns that would match this description. NC came to mind because we vacationed there a couple of years ago and loved it. We are open to other states though. Because we will be caring for my parents soon too, it needs to be affordable, and have mild weather. We all love to be outdoors. By affordable, I mean we can spend about $250,000 for a home. It needs to be large or have an in-law apartment. My husband is an auto technician/ service writer so there would need to be a lot of this type of employment around for him. ( I know this exists in Charlotte.) I am not too familiar with any other areas. We used to live in San Diego, but the salary to cost of living ratio made it impossible for us to stay. Any thoughts or advice would be greatly appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2007, 11:55 AM

2,445 posts, read 7,453,580 times
What do you consider large? How much square footage? How many bedrooms and baths do you need?

Old 12-04-2007, 12:07 PM

80 posts, read 326,655 times
It all depends on if it has an in-law apartment or not. For my immediate family, I'd like four bedrooms, 2 baths and at least 2000 sq. ft. If my parents would have to live in the same space, we'd need another bedroom, bath and some more square footage so that they could retreat from the kids when they need peace and quiet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte