U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2006, 08:41 PM

5 posts, read 12,423 times

Advertisements

Hey Y'all. My wife and I want to move to the Charlotte region next summer. Maybe Concord or Huntersville. We visited the area during the summer and we love it there. NH is very expensive and I'm sick of having to work 2 jobs plus my wife full time to make ends meet. We would be moving down with our kids, ages 15,9,7, and 5 so schools are important. What areas do you guys recommend that have good schools and cost of living? I want to stay somewhat close to Charlotte for the racing and entertainment. Also what's a good way to find a construction job in NC? I do drywall and framing primarily. Thanks for your help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2006, 09:14 AM

1,418 posts, read 6,375,466 times
You should have no problem finding a job here. I live in Concord and would highly recommend living here. The schools are some of the best in NC (my wife is a middle school science teacher here in the system), living costs are low, it's safe, and we're close to everything Charlotte has to offer. When your time to visit gets closer, just post again and I'll give you a list of some fun things you can do in the area while you're here. Good luck in your search!!!

Old 10-23-2006, 01:34 PM

Thanks for your reply. We actually did visit Concord while we down there in August. We liked it a lot, just wanted an inside perspective. We went to the race track of course, Concord Mills, and the North Lake Mall.

Old 10-23-2006, 01:40 PM

889 posts, read 2,845,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jvstrat View Post
Hey Y'all. My wife and I want to move to the Charlotte region next summer. Maybe Concord or Huntersville. We visited the area during the summer and we love it there. NH is very expensive and I'm sick of having to work 2 jobs plus my wife full time to make ends meet. We would be moving down with our kids, ages 15,9,7, and 5 so schools are important. What areas do you guys recommend that have good schools and cost of living? I want to stay somewhat close to Charlotte for the racing and entertainment. Also what's a good way to find a construction job in NC? I do drywall and framing primarily. Thanks for your help.
Just keep in mind the pay in Construction is probably not the same as it is where you are currently. Will you work for yourself?

Old 10-23-2006, 01:48 PM

No. I'll probably work for a large company so I can get health benefits. I understand the pay will be less, but I should be able to make a large profit from selling my house in NH. I'd probably be looking at a $70,000.00 mortgage. I really think it's a wise decision for us. We really loved visiting NC. Everyone was so nice.

Old 10-23-2006, 03:59 PM

463 posts, read 1,516,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by friendnc View Post
You should have no problem finding a job here. I live in Concord and would highly recommend living here. The schools are some of the best in NC (my wife is a middle school science teacher here in the system), living costs are low, it's safe, and we're close to everything Charlotte has to offer. When your time to visit gets closer, just post again and I'll give you a list of some fun things you can do in the area while you're here. Good luck in your search!!!
Actually, he may have a significant problem finding a decent paying job in the trades in Charlotte and specifically in the particular trades mentioned.

I'm sorry, I know you mean well, but this is a job field about which I know whereof I speak. IMHO, people should refrain from telling others that they should have *no problem finding a job* unless they are willing to offer one if the person asking moves based upon their advice and then can't get a decent paying job.

To the original poster, the trades in N.C. are extremely competitive and the pay is lower than in many other areas of the country. That includes Charlotte/ Meck. Just because there is a lot of building going on there doesn't mean that there are good paying jobs in those fields. There are reasons for that, which if you'd like to know more about, you are welcome to e-mail me privately. Please research carefully, subscribe online to newspapers in the areas in which you are interested in moving and follow the listings on sites such as Monster.com. Also check carefully into health insurance.

Best wishes!

Cassie

Last edited by Cassie; 10-23-2006 at 04:09 PM..

Old 10-23-2006, 04:32 PM

10,017 posts, read 16,989,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cassie View Post
Actually, he may have a significant problem finding a decent paying job in the trades in Charlotte and specifically in the particular trades mentioned.

I'm sorry, I know you mean well, but this is a job field about which I know whereof I speak. IMHO, people should refrain from telling others that they should have *no problem finding a job* unless they are willing to offer one if the person asking moves based upon their advice and then can't get a decent paying job.

To the original poster, the trades in N.C. are extremely competitive and the pay is lower than in many other areas of the country. That includes Charlotte/ Meck. Just because there is a lot of building going on there doesn't mean that there are good paying jobs in those fields. There are reasons for that, which if you'd like to know more about, you are welcome to e-mail me privately. Please research carefully, subscribe online to newspapers in the areas in which you are interested in moving and follow the listings on sites such as Monster.com. Also check carefully into health insurance.

Best wishes!

Cassie

Got that right ,good advice, boy wish I had talked to you before we moved there, would have enlightened us and probably saved us alot og grief. Construction jobs there that pay anything decent are very very hard to find not to mention jobs with benefits, especailly if you arent not a Project Manager ( which still doesnt pay much) or an engineer.

Old 10-23-2006, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvstrat View Post
No. I'll probably work for a large company so I can get health benefits. I understand the pay will be less, but I should be able to make a large profit from selling my house in NH. I'd probably be looking at a $70,000.00 mortgage. I really think it's a wise decision for us. We really loved visiting NC. Everyone was so nice.
The large companies, along with almost everyone else, subcontract out their framing and drywall work- and they use the *least* expensive subs they can find.

Check the current job listings for framers and drywallers. Then check them for the next 6 months. Good luck finding one that offers health benefits or anything approaching the kind of pay that you're accustomed to.

These jobs are tied up by people who will work for far less than you can survive on...... they don't ask for health insurance... they are grateful to have *any* job.

Regardless of how nice people in N.C. are ( and I agree with you there) I suspect that you will still need to put food on the table and be able to pay your basic bills, clothe your children, provide them and your wife with medical care and have some discretionary funds..... even with a low mortgage payment.

Best wishes in your search!

Regards,

Cassie

Last edited by Cassie; 10-23-2006 at 05:17 PM..

Old 10-23-2006, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nea1 View Post
Got that right ,good advice, boy wish I had talked to you before we moved there, would have enlightened us and probably saved us alot of grief. Construction jobs there that pay anything decent are very very hard to find not to mention jobs with benefits, especailly if you arent not a Project Manager ( which still doesnt pay much) or an engineer.
What cracks me up (well.... not really) is how many hats they expect their Project Managers to wear for the paltry pay that is offered. Not only a Project Manager, but in many cases, also the data entry person, spreadsheet and scheduling manager, Customer Service Manager, punch out and trim carpenter, etc. Geeze, no wonder they burn 'em out, spit 'em out and look for fresh meat as quickly as they do.

There's a reason why new homes are so much cheaper in N.C. than they are in other parts of the country.

Regards,

Cassie

Last edited by Cassie; 10-23-2006 at 05:47 PM..

Old 10-23-2006, 05:39 PM

10,017 posts, read 16,989,663 times
Yep he had to do things that far out reached his normal daily duties, he had to take the jobs they didnt want to pay someone else to do, like clean the office!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or