U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2007, 08:13 PM

161 posts, read 423,244 times

Advertisements

I currently live in Raleigh been here for four mths from NYC. Relocated unemployed for the job opportunities. I had interviews with Bank of America over the phone but they always went to people already in Charlotte while I was in NY. So I relocated to Raleigh instead I have gotten interviews but no offers and some temp work. However, it's been four mths and while I still can I started sending my resume directly to firms in Charlotte. What is your opinion on this? I know Charlotte has more positions, more bank, firms and they are vibrant. Not only that the uptown area is fun too and very pretty.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2007, 08:46 PM

2 posts, read 9,362 times
Default jobs

real estate sucks everywhere . I consulted at B of A and they laid off. Can't find jack in the real estate division but Charlotte is the banking capital.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nanvas View Post
I currently live in Raleigh been here for four mths from NYC. Relocated unemployed for the job opportunities. I had interviews with Bank of America over the phone but they always went to people already in Charlotte while I was in NY. So I relocated to Raleigh instead I have gotten interviews but no offers and some temp work. However, it's been four mths and while I still can I started sending my resume directly to firms in Charlotte. What is your opinion on this? I know Charlotte has more positions, more bank, firms and they are vibrant. Not only that the uptown area is fun too and very pretty.

Old 12-04-2007, 08:55 PM

I know it's the banking capital and I have worked in banks as an Admin. Even a recruiter from Wachovia told me so. I just applied for a jobs already from Indeed.com it's a pretty good site. Real Estate is good in Raleigh. Try applying to some here. Otherwise, how do you like living there.

Old 12-06-2007, 11:55 AM

11 posts, read 31,086 times
My family and I relocated to Charlotte about two years ago, and my husband found a job with the City but I have not found anything, I said to my husband no wonder their are so many women working the supermarket jobs because jobs here in charlotte is very hard to find. You must know someone or I don't want to sound racist or anything because I am not but the blacks does not seem to be getting the high paying jobs. I know with my crudentials I should be able to find a decent paying job but I had no luck, it seems like once they see that you are from another state they higher people that worked withing the state already. My son even found a hard time finding a job it took him two years and child care forget it, it is so expensive, with the money that they are payig donw here it all will go to child care. I don't know I love charlotte, I love the quietness and I love that fact that people don't bother you and are friendly overall but the job market stinks here among other things. People should come and stay a little while befor jumping into it. I am starting to get really depressed living here because I cannot find a decend job to help pay my bills.

Old 12-06-2007, 12:21 PM

45,270 posts, read 88,319,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by willgrace225 View Post
My family and I relocated to Charlotte about two years ago, and my husband found a job with the City but I have not found anything, I said to my husband no wonder their are so many women working the supermarket jobs because jobs here in charlotte is very hard to find. You must know someone or I don't want to sound racist or anything because I am not but the blacks does not seem to be getting the high paying jobs. I know with my crudentials I should be able to find a decent paying job but I had no luck, it seems like once they see that you are from another state they higher people that worked withing the state already. My son even found a hard time finding a job it took him two years and child care forget it, it is so expensive, with the money that they are payig donw here it all will go to child care. I don't know I love charlotte, I love the quietness and I love that fact that people don't bother you and are friendly overall but the job market stinks here among other things. People should come and stay a little while befor jumping into it. I am starting to get really depressed living here because I cannot find a decend job to help pay my bills.
I AM sorry for your struggle - but it is really not fair to say "the job market sucks" and imply we have a problem here in Charlotte. The truth is, YOU have the problem - you and everyone else who moved here without first securing a job.

Fact is, our unemployment rate is pretty low and our job market is pretty tight. There are MANY qualified and over-qualified people vying for jobs here - competition is stiff. Not getting a job has nothing to do with a persons race or nationality - it is simply about who has the best of the best in qualifications. Employers in many fields can afford to be very picky.

I wish you well in obtaining a job, just please don't blame the whole city for the hard time you are having.

Old 12-06-2007, 08:34 PM

1,670 posts, read 5,798,794 times
Unhappy 2nd your statement

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
I AM sorry for your struggle - but it is really not fair to say "the job market sucks" and imply we have a problem here in Charlotte. The truth is, YOU have the problem - you and everyone else who moved here without first securing a job.

Fact is, our unemployment rate is pretty low and our job market is pretty tight. There are MANY qualified and over-qualified people vying for jobs here - competition is stiff. Not getting a job has nothing to do with a persons race or nationality - it is simply about who has the best of the best in qualifications. Employers in many fields can afford to be very picky.

I wish you well in obtaining a job, just please don't blame the whole city for the hard time you are having.
I agree with you lovesmountains. I don't know how people move here without securing a job. If you are coming from a large city--there should be a couple of people you interact with in Charlotte on a weekly basis. Before I came in June, I had so many contacts while up North. I work with these clients for years and when they know you, they would be happy to put your resume to the top of the HR list. Looking for job during the holidays is pure suicidal. Most companies are tying up their year end closings and won't add until the new year. Also, the RE market is affecting a lot of jobs. You don't have to be in RE to fill the downsizing of large firms. If they do any type of business with RE market-there will be a crunch. My outlook is that 2008 will not look to great, but hey you never know. Good luck to all those seeking employment.

Old 12-07-2007, 08:35 AM

I tried for a long while finding a job before relocating and interviewed over the phone with Bank of America and several other firms and they always went with someone that already lives here. The only people that can always relocate with a job are CEO's, CFO's, They get the family relocation package not administrative assistants. So it's easier said than done. Sure, ideally that is the best way to relocate but there are many other obstacles besides competition when you are from the North and it's not about putting the blame on others. If you have not experienced it many others have and unfortunately not everyone is as perfect as everyone else.

Thanks and Happy Holiday,

Old 12-07-2007, 09:12 AM

674 posts, read 604,468 times
I am not understanding any of you whiners. A friend of mine moved here from out west and worked for a daycare and retail until she got her job secured (she has a master's degree people). She landed a job at a Fortune 500 company in her field within 60 days. I know another guy right now with a Communications degree who is working at Chili's waiting tables at night and interviewing by day.

Maybe you are all putting that much effort into it too, but just not telling us. Nonetheless, coming here to complain about it at 3am and being right back to continue complaining at 11am tells me that you are not putting your best effort into the job search.

Old 12-07-2007, 11:41 AM

16 posts, read 61,659 times
Sometimes one has to swallow his/her pride and accept an undesirable position. The jobs are out there, just have to flexible and determined..

Old 12-07-2007, 12:02 PM

4,280 posts, read 10,035,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by willgrace225 View Post
For someone seeking a 'high paying job', you should brush up on your spelling and grammar.

Last edited by mullman; 12-07-2007 at 12:13 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or