Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2014, 05:44 PM

28 posts, read 43,454 times

Advertisements

Hi!!

We are looking for a second home in NC, and have decided that we only want new construction in a country club setting that offers our (10 year old girl and 3 year old boy) the most activities and fun. We have narrowed it down to Hasentree in Wake County and The Enclave at Longview. Our budget is $6k-$7k. We would like to be near a JCC and temple so that there is some Jewish presence and we can enroll the kids at the JCC camp during the summers if we want to. We'd also like to have a nice town to enjoy with shops and festivals that isn't farther than 10-15 minutes away.

Hasentree seems to offer all the amenities we want, and it has the size home we want for the money, but it doesn't have that great of a JCC nearby, and I'm not sure about the kind of town that Wake Forest is -- I don't want to have to drive a half hour to Raleigh to go to shops or get out of the development.

The Enclave at Longview has Shalom Park nearby, plus nearby towns that I have been told are great, however the lots and home are much smaller, and don't offer the size home I was really hoping for. I was really dreaming of having land for the kids to play in the backyard -- we have NONE here in Miami.

Any thoughts? Or alternatives?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2014, 05:57 PM

8,402 posts, read 24,215,373 times
$7K won't buy much home.

Old 03-16-2014, 06:35 PM

125 posts, read 243,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vmaxnc View Post
$7K won't buy much home.

They most likely are trying to say 600-700k

Old 03-16-2014, 07:00 PM

Yes, 600k-700k, thank you.

Old 03-17-2014, 09:52 AM

8,402 posts, read 24,215,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jakekansas123 View Post
They most likely are trying to say 600-700k

Old 03-17-2014, 10:38 AM

7,672 posts, read 12,811,485 times
Could you tell us more how you narrowed it down to those places? Honestly I would never buy a second home in either place you mentioned. I see them more for living/working/schools and not for fun Summers. Have you considered any of the mountain cities such as Maggie Valley or Asheville for something different than Miami?

Last edited by momtothree; 03-17-2014 at 11:27 AM..

Old 03-17-2014, 01:32 PM

309 posts, read 765,696 times
Don't know anything about Hasentree, but I would not consider The Enclave for those purposes. We looked at that development and I think you would be hard-pressed to really get in for $600K-$700K by the time you factor upgrades. Plus, those homes have higher maintenance fees b/c they maintain the lawns.

I also got the feeling that the people looking at those homes were older, empty-nesters who want to live on a golf course but not have to deal with maintenance. Plus the layouts were more conducive to an older "entertainment" lifestyle, not a kid-friendly one.

Old 03-17-2014, 05:46 PM

Thanks all for your insight --

We are looking for a beautiful country club environment in a house with some land in a more moderate climate, but we don't think we want to be in the mountains -- I did consider Asheville, but from what I can tell, the prices in the country clubs for the size house we want is too high from what I've found so far -- does anyone know of a particular development in Ashville to consider that offers country club amenities and lots of activities for kids as well?

As for Longview, we really don't want to deal with maintenance because we won't be there year round to take care of it, and the amenities seemed very kid friendly with lots of activities planned. The layout really works for us, but the prices may end up more than we want to spend when all is said and done.

I also have been looking into Ballantine Country Club homes which looks like a really kid friendly development, but those are older homes and again, prices are pretty high for the size house we want.

Any other new construction homes in a country club that has a great program for kids?

Thanks!

Old 03-17-2014, 09:50 PM

125 posts, read 243,384 times
Based on what you want, I think the Enclave development would be great. You are close to both Ballantyne and the Wedington area; which are both extremely clean, safe, and family friendly. You are close to great shopping and restaurants, and close enough in proximity to Charlotte to keep a city feel. If I were you, I would forget about Wake Forest, the area is nice but it is too small for my liking. Maybe even check out the Palisades or even The Sanctuary if you take a trip up, which I would do for sure. We were iffy about the area until we came to visit, and fell in love after just a few days. Good luck, I would almost turn it into a summer home; I lived in Miami for a couple years, the weather can be pretty brutal.

Old 03-18-2014, 12:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakekansas123 View Post
Based on what you want, I think the Enclave development would be great. You are close to both Ballantyne and the Wedington area; which are both extremely clean, safe, and family friendly. You are close to great shopping and restaurants, and close enough in proximity to Charlotte to keep a city feel. If I were you, I would forget about Wake Forest, the area is nice but it is too small for my liking. Maybe even check out the Palisades or even The Sanctuary if you take a trip up, which I would do for sure. We were iffy about the area until we came to visit, and fell in love after just a few days. Good luck, I would almost turn it into a summer home; I lived in Miami for a couple years, the weather can be pretty brutal.
Thank you for the help, it's so hard to narrow down a search when I'm not even familiar with the area! I also think Longview would be a great location given everything you mentioned -- plus, it's about 15 minutes from the JCC and I want the option of putting my kids in their camp. I was thinking of spending most of the summer there -- Miami is brutal in June and July.

I am going to plan a trip up there in the next two weeks or so and visit a few of the areas to make a decision. If there are any other places to consider, I'm open to suggestions! TIA!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte