U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2007, 05:54 PM

755 posts, read 2,241,935 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina_native View Post
If there is a crime in progress, such as a robbery or breaking and entering occuring, expect a very quick, emergency response. Other police units will clear less important calls for service to respond if there are no police units currently available.
Given the OP's friend's experience as well as mine, it is clear that this is not true.

I was alone with my three children at 3:00am. I didn't know if the intruder was in my house or not. My three children were each asleep in separate rooms, so all I could do was stand in the upstairs hallway in the hopes of protecting them.

I called 911 three separate times and they didn't arrive at my home for 25 minutes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2007, 06:20 PM

35,885 posts, read 67,016,830 times
Default Carolina Guy - you rock!

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolina_guy;2177724 For those of you interested in purchasing a firearm, and anifan you can share this with your friends, [B
go to this website[/b]: Cornered Cat . It's focus is women and firearms but it's very good for anyone else concerned about their safety and the purchase of personal firearms. It's a 5 STAR website, so I hope you visit it!
CG - thank you so much! You make me feel so much better about things. I know many people hesitate when it comes to guns . . . but honestly - having had to use one 2 times in my life to "scare away" intruders . . . I gotta tell you . . . responsible gun ownership seems the thing to do.

I also have an alarm system and since my H telecommutes and I work from home . . . I leave my alarm on during the day. My neighbors think that perhaps I go a little overboard but you know . . . better safe than sorry.

Old 12-05-2007, 06:22 PM

Default This is what scares me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weedydidi View Post
Given the OP's friend's experience as well as mine, it is clear that this is not true.

I was alone with my three children at 3:00am. I didn't know if the intruder was in my house or not. My three children were each asleep in separate rooms, so all I could do was stand in the upstairs hallway in the hopes of protecting them.

I called 911 three separate times and they didn't arrive at my home for 25 minutes.
This is exactly the situation that scares me the most. My children are out of the house now . . . and I gotta tell you . . . being responsible for just me - a lot less anxiety.

Being by yourself in a house w/ children at 3 am in the morning . . . that is when we need a fast response from the police.

Old 12-05-2007, 06:25 PM

Default That seems so s l o w . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJPost32 View Post
are slow then what I was use to . We are in S. charlotte and it took about 30-35 mins.

We own a gun though just in case anyone ever tries to break in! I also invested in a really good alarm system.
Are you near a station? I just wonder b/c my friend w/ the intruder messing around is only 2.5 miles from a station and it still took over 30 mins. (and in S. CLT) Of course, this was on a Sat. nite and I expect there is more going on - more calls - around midnite on a Sat nite than during the week. (but that is just a supposition).

Old 12-05-2007, 10:11 PM

153 posts, read 431,761 times
East Lincoln County - THREE MINUTES

Old 12-06-2007, 07:09 AM

330 posts, read 931,907 times
When I lived in Charlotte, police typically took about 30 - 45 minutes to respond, including in one instance to a break-in in progress. The Eastway division handled our neighborhood.

Now that I am in McAdenville, I can't imagine that I will ever have to call them, unless someone is trying to steal my Christmas lights.

Old 12-06-2007, 09:51 AM

58 posts, read 164,639 times
Not having to worry about what the response time would be if I had to call the police sounds good to me. Do you know of any apartment complexes in McAdenville? I didn't find any doing a web search. If not, I will keep it in mind for when I am ready to buy. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAMF View Post
When I lived in Charlotte, police typically took about 30 - 45 minutes to respond, including in one instance to a break-in in progress. The Eastway division handled our neighborhood.

Now that I am in McAdenville, I can't imagine that I will ever have to call them, unless someone is trying to steal my Christmas lights.

Old 12-06-2007, 10:04 AM

2,447 posts, read 6,642,987 times
There aren't in apartment complexes in McAdenville. It's a great little town but remember, crime can happen anywhere.

Old 12-06-2007, 10:09 AM

3,662 posts, read 8,669,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCgirl View Post
There aren't in apartment complexes in McAdenville. It's a great little town but remember, crime can happen anywhere.
Exactly, that's why I don't rely on the police.

Old 12-06-2007, 10:11 AM

3,662 posts, read 8,669,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
CG - thank you so much! You make me feel so much better about things. I know many people hesitate when it comes to guns . . . but honestly - having had to use one 2 times in my life to "scare away" intruders . . . I gotta tell you . . . responsible gun ownership seems the thing to do.

I also have an alarm system and since my H telecommutes and I work from home . . . I leave my alarm on during the day. My neighbors think that perhaps I go a little overboard but you know . . . better safe than sorry.

Great, I'm glad you found the website useful. There's some very practical information on there. We don't have an alarm system, but it's not a bad idea for deterrence. We actually have 2 dogs: lab/newfie mix and an Italian mastiff. They would eat any body that tried anything. So with our arsenal and 2 beasts, we sleep quite comfortably at night.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or