Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2007, 10:36 AM

45,218 posts, read 100,681,934 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecherif View Post
Not having to worry about what the response time would be if I had to call the police sounds good to me. Do you know of any apartment complexes in McAdenville? I didn't find any doing a web search. If not, I will keep it in mind for when I am ready to buy. Thanks.
Please keep in mind that Matthews has its own police department. If you live in any apartments there I believe you would see very quick response times - they patrol heavily.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2007, 11:48 AM

330 posts, read 1,035,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCgirl View Post
There aren't in apartment complexes in McAdenville. It's a great little town but remember, crime can happen anywhere.
While it is true that crime can happen anywhere (which is why I still open carry), stats show that there is more crime in a month in the neighborhood I moved from than there were in the past five years in the entire town I live in now.

Also, there are some apartment complexes in Cramerton, which is right next to McAdenville, and I think Pharr Yarns still has some old mill houses that they rent out in town.

Old 12-06-2007, 12:51 PM

58 posts, read 181,532 times
I think it is just the crime threads getting the better of my thought process. When I get down to Matthews later this month and look at some complexes I believe that I will feel much more comfortable. I'l still check out some other areas. McArdenville looks like it is worth the trip just to see the Christamas lights!
The threads had me thinking that Charlotte crime would be similar to Memphis but I did some research and that was not the case....Memphis having much more crime.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Please keep in mind that Matthews has its own police department. If you live in any apartments there I believe you would see very quick response times - they patrol heavily.

Old 12-06-2007, 12:53 PM

58 posts, read 181,532 times
Thanks for the info. I'll probably take a ride out there to check it out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAMF View Post
While it is true that crime can happen anywhere (which is why I still open carry), stats show that there is more crime in a month in the neighborhood I moved from than there were in the past five years in the entire town I live in now.

Also, there are some apartment complexes in Cramerton, which is right next to McAdenville, and I think Pharr Yarns still has some old mill houses that they rent out in town.

Old 12-06-2007, 01:01 PM

2,445 posts, read 7,449,778 times
Also look at Brentwood Chase in Gastonia (barely) beside Cramerton.

Quote:
While it is true that crime can happen anywhere (which is why I still open carry), stats show that there is more crime in a month in the neighborhood I moved from than there were in the past five years in the entire town I live in now
My point was that crime can happen anywhere, not trying to argue that crime often occurs in McAdenville.

Old 12-06-2007, 08:01 PM

3,365 posts, read 10,019,579 times
Just have to add this to the mix

A man was going up to bed, when his wife told him he'd left the light on in the garden shed-she could see it from the bedroom window. But he said that he hadn't been in the shed that day. He looked himself, and there were people in the shed, stealing things.

He rang the police, but they told him that no-one was in his area, so no-one was available to catch the thieves. He said ok, hung up, counted to 30 and rang the police again.

"Hello. I just rang you a few seconds ago because there were people in my shed? Well, you don't have to worry about them now, I've just shot them all."

Within five minutes there were half a dozen police cars in the area, an Armed Response unit, the works. Of course, they caught the burglars red-handed.

One of the policemen said to this man: "I thought you said you'd shot them!"

He replied: "I thought you said there was no-one available!"

Old 12-07-2007, 04:06 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,448,814 times
Default Rofl!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingscotsman View Post
"I thought you said there was no-one available!"
Hee Hee Hee!!! That was quite amusing, FS!!!!! Now I know how to handle it if someone is trying to knock my door down!

Thank you for a nice little chuckle . . .

Old 12-09-2007, 08:12 AM

5,137 posts, read 16,583,894 times
some advice if someone is trying to jiggle the doorknob...

When I lived in Miami...I had a friend who called me late at night (2am), and said someone was trying to break-in through the backdoor. I asked why she didnt call 911....and she said she did but they were taking soo long.
She was afraid, and was asking what could she do.

I said to start running to the backdoor....scream like a madwoman while running to the door...and if the door isnt open...bang on it like some psycho.

Well....it worked...and it worked the 2nd time as well!!! Burglars expect you to be sleeping or shocked when they come in. If you dont want to bang on the door...I would just recommend screaming at the top of your lungs like some psycho.......something like the Tazmanian devil.

Another thing that works is if you say that the burglar has a gun.
ONCE this is mentioned...you'll have cops there in minutes.

If you want your local police officers to 'teleport' to your front doorstep in the matter of milliseconds....just say OFFICER DOWN. I have heard that they will always protect their own before the residents.

Old 12-09-2007, 10:02 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,448,814 times
Default I think that is often true . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by banker0679 View Post
some advice if someone is trying to jiggle the doorknob...Burglars expect you to be sleeping or shocked when they come in. If you dont want to bang on the door...I would just recommend screaming at the top of your lungs like some psycho.......something like the Tazmanian devil.
. . . But I gotta tell you . . . what worries me is not so much a typical "thief" hoping to rip off some of my items - as the material things are not that important to me in the longrun . . . but I am worried about home invasions. That is the "new" trend that has me concerned.

I know the chances are low that this will ever happen to me in particular. I have an alarm system, a noisy dog. . . However, the type of crime that has me (and my neighbors) most worried is when someone just kicks in a door - and enters - often knowing full well people are home . . . and then does bodily harm to both residents and their pet(s).

That is the situation that has my friends and neighbors debating arming themselves . . . and wondering how long it would take law enforcement to arrive in such a dire circumstance.

Old 12-09-2007, 12:18 PM

435 posts, read 1,814,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndianTrailer View Post
When we explained that we were the ones who called about the next door neighbor, he looked dumbfounded. We told him we called 45 minutes ago and his reply was, "I was caught in traffic on I-485."

Are you kidding me? I thought that was what those lights on the police car were for - to get people out of your way, in case of an emergency. Needless to say, I think people around here think that a woman is a man's property, so whatever he wants to do with them is his business.
Well honestly what do you expect. People hardly ever move out of the way for cops until they are right up on them. I remember seeing plenty of times on Hwy 51 people are at a traffic light & the cop/firefighter is coming down the road & people don't move. Or they try to move but others do not let them over because either they do not see the cop/firefighter or they are being a jerk. I've seen cops/firefighters stopped in a turn lane because people won't move or the cops/firefighters are trying to go through an intersection & others are still driving & completely oblivious to the fact that there is an emergency vehicle trying to get through.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte