Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2007, 02:08 PM

70 posts, read 195,541 times

Advertisements

As life long NJ residents we didn't come to our decision to leave easily. It all comes down to quality of life for 2 boys ages 8 & 12, and getting righteously hosed on property taxes. We've pretty much settled on somewhere in Union county because that's where the better schools appear to be.
Commuting to Charlotte isn't a concern as I work out of the house for a software company, so we can be a little out there.
We like what we've seen and read of Waxhaw so far, but I've seen better housing values in our price range (200k - 250k) elsewhere in the county, Monroe & Indian Trail for instance.
We're coming to explore for ourselves in February and will hopefully come down for good during the summer.
I know I've painted with broad strokes, but we're trying to narrow down our search,if anyone could recommend based on their experience good family neighborhoods or developements in our price range around Waxhaw, Marvin, or anywhere in Union county we'd be grateful. Our guys are very active so we're looking for someplace that has lots of kids, Little leagues, soccer, swim teams, or any PAL type activities.
TIA!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2007, 06:12 PM

999 posts, read 4,652,384 times
You can get a good house for your money in Indian Trail, we're in Crismark (you can look up eastwood homes and westport homes). It's a newer subdivision, so you could build or there are resales available. The lots are rather small, but the houses are nice. We're happy so far with the schools, and our subdivision should be slated for the planned schools (middle and high) to be built with the access road across from one of our entrances tentatively to open 2010. The community is nice, we have one pool currently, but a 2nd is scheduled to open this coming summer along with tennis courts. There are tons of kids here already (3 full buses just for the elementary school) in the neighborhood. We've only been here since July so I don't know much else, just thought I'd add my 2cents.

Old 12-05-2007, 07:45 PM

1,895 posts, read 6,168,237 times
You will get more house for your money in Indian Trail. Crismark is a good suggestion -- there are a few subdivisions in that area that would work for you.

Old 12-06-2007, 08:57 AM

Thank you for the responses, Crismark is on the visit list for February. Indian Trail does seem more cost effective than Waxhaw. I found a Union County sub-division map on these boards, and I'm working my way through it. I'm looking for housing value and schools.
Brandon Oaks looks pretty good as well.
I have one question though, is there a reason why Indian Trail would be more inexpensive than Waxhaw, when it's seemingly closer to the metropolitan area? That's kind of the opposite way it works in NJ.

The more I think of escaping NJ, the more excited I get.

Old 12-06-2007, 09:33 AM

6,957 posts, read 8,490,267 times
Nudnk - I live in the outer part of Monroe and I love where I live, but if you have kids, I'd take it off my list. The schools leave a lot to be desired. Can you let us know where in NJ, you are? Indian Trail is a nice town with low taxes. Waxhaw, depending on where you live, can run the gamut of middle class to upper middle class - )in terms of house prices (altho' they seem laughably cheap by NJ standards). The whole of Union county is growing by leaps and bounds, but the infrastructure (schools and roads) has not kept up with the increase in population. I used to work for the Union County Library and when I had to leave the Indian Trail library at rush hour, just getting out of the parking lot was an adventure! I kept thinking they should have called it "Indian Trial". You'll laugh when you get your tax bill tho'. Monroe has relatively high taxes about 1.15 per assessed 100 while Indian Trail & Waxhaw must range in the .80 range (this includes city & county taxes) - the schools are run by the county (very different from NJ!). When you tell people down here what you paid in property taxes in NJ, they look at you in disbelief! You'll love it down here and in your price range you'll be amazed at the amount of house you get for the money!

Old 12-06-2007, 01:12 PM

7,937 posts, read 20,376,134 times
we are from NJ live in Marvin/Waxhaw and choose this location for many reasons...It reminded us alot of Nj in a good way, however its alot more beautiful here...the schools are excellent as far as we are concerned. we have been here now 6 months visited NJ for thanksgiving and well we wont be going back anytime soon. We have a beautiful home and close to everything..Your money does go further here than in NJ...dont be shocked about the price of food though very expensive compared to NJ. our property taxes here in Union County for a 3100 sq ft house on .33 is 1800 a year. My kids are 8 & 12 as well, and let me say they love it here and have made alot of friends, compared to the kids in NJ.

Good Luck to you and your family

Old 12-06-2007, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEmissary View Post
Nudnk - I live in the outer part of Monroe and I love where I live, but if you have kids, I'd take it off my list. The schools leave a lot to be desired. Can you let us know where in NJ, you are? Indian Trail is a nice town with low taxes. Waxhaw, depending on where you live, can run the gamut of middle class to upper middle class - )in terms of house prices (altho' they seem laughably cheap by NJ standards). The whole of Union county is growing by leaps and bounds, but the infrastructure (schools and roads) has not kept up with the increase in population. I used to work for the Union County Library and when I had to leave the Indian Trail library at rush hour, just getting out of the parking lot was an adventure! I kept thinking they should have called it "Indian Trial". You'll laugh when you get your tax bill tho'. Monroe has relatively high taxes about 1.15 per assessed 100 while Indian Trail & Waxhaw must range in the .80 range (this includes city & county taxes) - the schools are run by the county (very different from NJ!). When you tell people down here what you paid in property taxes in NJ, they look at you in disbelief! You'll love it down here and in your price range you'll be amazed at the amount of house you get for the money!
We're located in lower Sussex County (Vernon Twp.) Not far from where Passaic, Sussex & Morris Counties meet. The property taxes on a small 3 bedroom bi-level on 1/4 acre will hit $7500.00 this year. That by the way, doesn't include garbage collection.
Having said that, the appreciation on our little house has been nothing short of amazing.
No matter how crowded it may have gotten down there in Union County, the housing values are simply to good to pass up.
Thanks for taking the time to respond!

Old 12-06-2007, 04:47 PM

6,957 posts, read 8,490,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nudnk View Post
We're located in lower Sussex County (Vernon Twp.) Not far from where Passaic, Sussex & Morris Counties meet. The property taxes on a small 3 bedroom bi-level on 1/4 acre will hit $7500.00 this year. That by the way, doesn't include garbage collection.
Having said that, the appreciation on our little house has been nothing short of amazing.
No matter how crowded it may have gotten down there in Union County, the housing values are simply to good to pass up.
Thanks for taking the time to respond!
Well nudnk, I hope you won't miss the Vernon Valley Ski trails! I used to go past them going to some friends houses. Since I've lived here (Dec 2005), I haven't seen much snow. Another area you might be interested in taking a look at, is Ft. Mill SC. It has good schools and lower taxes than NC. Berryjuice4life is right that food is more expensive down here, but the car insurance is cheap! Gas is more expensive (currently $3.03/9) and you have to travel a bit, but you're probably farther out up there, than you would be down here. For $7500 down here in taxes, you'd have to have a spread bigger than the Ponderosa (Little Joe & Hoss not included.) I pay about $2200. People think Union County is crowded but that is a relative judgement. You could put Sussex, Passaic and half of Bergen county in Union County (643 sq. mi.) and still have a few miles left over with a pop. of less than 200K. It feels fairly empty to me. As much as I b***h about the roads down here, I'd b***h more if I had to go up & down Rte 23 constantly. You'll love it!

Old 12-08-2007, 06:11 AM

Thank you all for the responses! They have been very helpful. The only thing I will miss about NJ is the winter, lots of people want to escape it (my wife included) but I like it. However, I'm pretty sure I can do without it.
Anyhow, After spending sometime looking through the schools websites, and realtor.com we're going to come down for a week in February and see what there is to see.
Our search has been narrowed to Indian Trail and some parts of Waxhaw, but we've upped the range we're willing to spend to 300k. I guess I can wait a few more years for my Mustang Shelby GT500.
If anyone has pictures they could post or any additional information, tidbits or anything about Indian Trail - I would appreciate it.

Wish us luck! looks like you'll have a new neighbor over the summer of 2008.

Old 12-08-2007, 04:24 PM

999 posts, read 4,652,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nudnk View Post
Our search has been narrowed to Indian Trail and some parts of Waxhaw, but we've upped the range we're willing to spend to 300k.
With your change in price range I would suggest if you're looking at Crismark to go for the Westport homes Westport Homes - Communities - Charlotte - Crismark
I live in an Eastwood home and probably would have preferred a Westport home (bigger lots) but they didn't have any inventory homes at the time, and I'm not sure we could have gotten what we wanted for under 250 (our limit).
Good luck!

Last edited by SunnyKayak; 02-18-2008 at 05:26 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte