U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-06-2007, 10:40 AM

382 posts, read 1,745,754 times

Advertisements

State OKs road named for Bruton Smith

ADAM BELL

abell@charlotteobserver.com

Goodbye Speedway Boulevard; hello Bruton Smith Boulevard.
At the city of Concord's request, the N.C. Transportation Board unanimously voted this morning to rename the road from Interstate 85 to Lowe's Motor Speedway, a Department of Transportation spokeswoman said.
Smith owns the track.
Concord made the request after the billionaire threatened to move the speedway to elsewhere in the Charlotte region, following a dispute with Concord over his plans to build a drag strip nearby.
Smith got an $80-million incentives package for road and other improvements to stay put, build the drag strip and make major improvements to the track.
-- Adam Bell: 704-786-2185
-- Read tomorrow's Charlotte Observer for more details on this developing story.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2007, 10:41 AM

45,270 posts, read 88,310,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkpocketbooks View Post
State OKs road named for Bruton Smith

ADAM BELL

abell@charlotteobserver.com

Goodbye Speedway Boulevard; hello Bruton Smith Boulevard.
At the city of Concord's request, the N.C. Transportation Board unanimously voted this morning to rename the road from Interstate 85 to Lowe's Motor Speedway, a Department of Transportation spokeswoman said.
Smith owns the track.
Concord made the request after the billionaire threatened to move the speedway to elsewhere in the Charlotte region, following a dispute with Concord over his plans to build a drag strip nearby.
Smith got an $80-million incentives package for road and other improvements to stay put, build the drag strip and make major improvements to the track.
-- Adam Bell: 704-786-2185
-- Read tomorrow's Charlotte Observer for more details on this developing story.

I vote the citizens do what they do here in the south and immediately assign Bruton Smith Blvd. a nickname - I think BS Blvd sounds about right

Old 12-06-2007, 10:56 AM

1,852 posts, read 4,666,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
I vote the citizens do what they do here in the south and immediately assign Bruton Smith Blvd. a nickname - I think BS Blvd sounds about right
That is PERFECT!

(stupid renaming a perfectly good street. I mean if it was 1st street or something I would be eh.. but geez.

Old 12-06-2007, 11:05 AM

45,270 posts, read 88,310,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whytewulf View Post
That is PERFECT!

(stupid renaming a perfectly good street. I mean if it was 1st street or something I would be eh.. but geez.
I agree, but big egos do need their massaging, don't they???

Yes, I can see it now, next spring I will be sure to take my out-of-town visitors for a ride down BS Blvd - I'll explain to them how deep the do do was around there before the name change

Old 12-06-2007, 11:44 AM

2,447 posts, read 6,642,987 times
BS Blvd. LOL! I love it!

Old 12-06-2007, 07:21 PM

92 posts, read 286,929 times
Default Good.

Good for Bruton Smith. He could have built his strip and it be done with but someone living in the heart of racing stirred up a bunch of crap and lost. I'm glad they lost. I'm glad the minority in opinion lost for once. Thanks BS.

Old 12-06-2007, 07:57 PM

264 posts, read 828,053 times
There would be a lot of people hurting in Cabarrus County if he had moved his operation. Having to hear "Bruton Smith Blvd" is cold comfort but still, how many people make their living on the racing industry in Cabarrus County? More than you think, probably. It's not just about tourists coming in for the races. Lots of folks up there are thanking God for Bruton Smith this Christmas.

Old 12-06-2007, 08:59 PM

99 posts, read 256,825 times
i heard it was going to be Bruton Smith "BULLY"vard. Nah, for real we are seeing why he is a billionare--amazing business sense to get the 80 million handed to him...or maybe it was all pre planned behind closed doors knowing he wouldn't be given the incentives without the controversy...something to think about...

Old 12-07-2007, 08:29 AM

4,730 posts, read 17,765,382 times
Can he get the lights fixed on 277?

Old 12-07-2007, 08:29 PM

15 posts, read 80,893 times
Actually, it wasn't really his business sense that got 80 million handed to him.

It was the people who raised all the fuss who live near a race track that complained about noise pollution that got 80 million handed to him. If they wouldn't have complained, the rich would not have gotten (as) richer

If they really had something to complain about, I'd feel differently about this. When you buy a house in an area beside/near a major race track... and then complain about potential noise pollution. Well, lets just say there are some good Darwin candidates.

Agreed though, it could have been worked some behind the doors.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte