Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2014, 07:56 AM

3 posts, read 4,875 times

Advertisements

My husband and I have begun to research a relocation to NC. Work for us would be in the Charlotte area. We love the outdoors, especially hiking and white water kayaking and hope to find a home in a small, peaceful community with at least 2 acres that is within a 45 minute commute to the city. We are thinking "west" of Charlotte to be in closer proximity to Asheville and Boone. I've been looking at maps and poking around on real estate, but am at a loss on where to focus our search. Any recommendations on where to start our search? We don't have kids.

We are open to SC as well. We can spend up to $400K but highly prefer to spend no more than 300K.

Last edited by mawood; 03-28-2014 at 08:02 AM.. Reason: additional info
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2014, 08:46 AM

533 posts, read 936,307 times
Kings Mountain

http://www.zillow.com/homedetails/11...93002396_zpid/

Old 03-28-2014, 08:49 AM

625 posts, read 488,850 times
2 acres is a tough one, especially at the 400K or less price range. Maybe compromise down to one acre and look around the Lake Wylie area / Clover in SC and in NC Gastonia.

Old 03-28-2014, 09:43 AM

3 posts, read 4,875 times
This is beautiful. I will definitely check out this area further.

Old 03-28-2014, 12:26 PM

23,814 posts, read 34,678,989 times
Kings Mountain would definitely work. There are other possibilities west of Charlotte, but it would depend on the specific location of your work.

Kings Mountain refers to a city & the unincorporated township that the city is in. The area was officially designated as urbanized after the last census. Depending on the location of your work, you could look at Grover, which is accessed from exit 2 of I 85, & pretty much, sits on the NC/SC border. It's much more rural than Kings Mountain, over all.

Old 03-28-2014, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJCoqui View Post
2 acres is a tough one, especially at the 400K or less price range. Maybe compromise down to one acre and look around the Lake Wylie area / Clover in SC and in NC Gastonia.
Gastonia??? It's a city of over 70,000 people.

Old 03-28-2014, 12:38 PM

I was looking at the rural parts towards Charlotte for the OP, not the city itself:
http://www.zillow.com/homes/for_sale...t/10_zm/0_mmm/

Kings Mountain is pushing the 45 minute commute that the OP is looking for.

Old 03-28-2014, 12:50 PM

Quote:
I was looking at the rural parts towards Charlotte for the OP, not the city itself:
Homes For Sale & Real Estate - Zillow

Kings Mountain is pushing the 45 minute commute that the OP is looking for.
Well, Hon, I live in Kings Mountain. As I told the OP, it all depends on the job location. There are areas of Charlotte that I would commute to & not think twice about & other areas that I wouldn't dream of commuting to.

The house that was posted to show the OP is off exit 8. I'm not positive if that area was annexed into the city or is simply in Kings Mountain Twp. There are areas of Charlotte that are 30 minutes from there.

If you are talking about unincorporated land in Gaston County that happens to have a Gastonia mailing address, you are not speaking of Gastonia. Ever been to Gastonia?

ETA: LOL, That link that you posted includes Cherryville & Lincolnton.

Old 03-28-2014, 12:54 PM

Seriously no need to get snarky with the "hon" comment.

Driven through Gaston County but haven't stopped by and I know people that live towards that area and commute to Charlotte -- they tell me it can be over an hour with traffic.

Its called trying to give the OP options.

You sound like you have a chip on your shoulder.

And I did do a mapquest look for that house in the link to the furthest edge of Charlotte closest to that house (the airport) and that's a 35 minute drive without traffic.

Edit to add on your LOL: That link includes the entire area west of Charlotte that the OP was inquiring about. Not sure why you're so stuck on King's Mountain. As you scroll through the map, it shows different houses and the list changes what's shown based on the criteria of 1 - 2 acres, 3+ bedrooms, under 400K.

Old 03-28-2014, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Seriously no need to get snarky with the "hon" comment.

Driven through Gaston County but haven't stopped by and I know people that live towards that area and commute to Charlotte -- they tell me it can be over an hour with traffic.

Its called trying to give the OP options.

You sound like you have a chip on your shoulder.

And I did do a mapquest look for that house in the link to the furthest edge of Charlotte closest to that house (the airport) and that's a 35 minute drive without traffic.

Edit to add on your LOL: That link includes the entire area west of Charlotte that the OP was inquiring about. Not sure why you're so stuck on King's Mountain. As you scroll through the map, it shows different houses and the list changes what's shown based on the criteria of 1 - 2 acres, 3+ bedrooms, under 400K.
It all depends on where you live & where you are commuting to as to how long the commute is. I know. I live out here. It can be 30 minutes to an hour or more, depending on the destination. Traffic out here is nothing like the north/south traffic because we have I 85 & US 74.

I don't advise people on where to look in Union County or York County, because I don't live there.

We have a poster who lives in Clover & she commutes to Uptown. She takes 321 to Gastonia when she commutes. Look at a map. Clover to Gastonia is not closer that Kings Mountain to Gastonia.

Again, it all depends on where the job location is, & the OP will have to make that determination. If the job is at the airport or close to it, Kings Mountain locations that are near 74 &/or 85 are ~ a 30 minute drive. From my house, I go by the airport in 25 - 35 minutes depending on whether it's rush hour or not.

I don't have a chip on my shoulder, but feel free to think whatever you like.

Last edited by southbound_295; 03-28-2014 at 01:29 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte