Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-31-2014, 11:20 AM

1 posts, read 5,320 times

Advertisements

Hi

My family and I are looking to relocate to Mooresville, North Carolina from Long Island, New York. We have 3 girls, ages 8 1/2, 2 1/2 and 16month old. I have done as much research as possible online, and we are making a trip to North Carolina in April. I am looking for opinion's about this area. I have saw that Mooresville is split into Iredell County and Lake Norman area. I would like to know how well the school districts are for both of these area's. What is there for children to do? How are the sports programs? What sports are offered for children, especially for my 8 year old, she is involved in cheerleading, soccer and Karate. Are there playground's, parks? If, anyone is able to give me a compare and contrast of the different Elementary schools, as well as their Intermediate schools and provide me with which sides of Mooresville the district splits for each of these Schools.

Also, I would need to know property tax cost, Oil/natural Gas Cost, Electric, cable and etc. If someone could provide me an estimate.

Thank You
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2014, 11:53 AM

13,368 posts, read 27,015,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aglynn1015 View Post
Also, I would need to know property tax cost, Oil/natural Gas Cost, Electric, cable and etc. If someone could provide me an estimate.
There will be better results in the Charlotte sub-forum. Also check these threads:

Great visit- Afraid to ask...redistricting in Iredell County/Mooresville area?
Fast relocation to Mooresville area
Mooresville - population.... 32 or 70K ???

Old 03-31-2014, 06:57 PM

2,348 posts, read 3,461,335 times
As far as schools go, they are broken into two:

1. Mooresville Graded School District (MGSD) and it's in the eastern (on a map, the right side of 77 for a general area)
2. Iredell County School system - some of these are east of 77 as well such as my subdivision which is east but not in Mooresville city despite my Mooresville address, can be confusing for sure.

Both school systems actually get very good scores and was an important part of our consideration when we moved here. I can't remember the specific site but there is one that gives numeric scores to all individual schools so you can go through and look at those for comparison sake. MGSD has been highly ranked in the state and country for a while though and even Obama came to visit last year, if that impresses you. Great schools in this general area and plenty of other charter and private schools as well if you prefer that route.

As far as activities go I feel like there is plenty to keep a kid (and parent!) busy in Mooresville. YMCA, school programs, county/city leagues, plenty of great parks, etc. etc... There are several Karate establishments as well although I can't speak to how good they are as my son isn't currently involved in that.

In terms of cost, you will pay a premium for MGSD in the form of taxes. Still will likely be considerably cheaper than what you are use to. You pay for city utilities and the schools when you live in the city limits of course and those of us that aren't in the city limits pay the much cheaper Iredell county tax rate. Just a consideration to keep in mind there as you plan/budget.

Good luck!

Old 01-08-2015, 09:00 PM

1 posts, read 4,430 times
I am thinking about moving to Mooresville NC. Would appreciate know about locations of homes. All of my kid are grown, I would be more concern with the schools if my grand kids would be coming. Looking for a 3 bed 2 bath, with garage and a decent lot. Nice neighborhood. Racing area would be good. With a good variety of work. This would also be important as above asked property tax cost, Oil/natural Gas Cost, Electric, cable and etc. Love to see some country side.
Thank you
GLM

Read more: http://www.city-data.com/forum/charl...#ixzz3OID46w9F

Old 01-09-2015, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by murphyslawx69 View Post
I am thinking about moving to Mooresville NC. Would appreciate know about locations of homes. All of my kid are grown, I would be more concern with the schools if my grand kids would be coming. Looking for a 3 bed 2 bath, with garage and a decent lot. Nice neighborhood. Racing area would be good. With a good variety of work. This would also be important as above asked property tax cost, Oil/natural Gas Cost, Electric, cable and etc. Love to see some country side.
Thank you
GLM

Read more: http://www.city-data.com/forum/charl...#ixzz3OID46w9F
You'll want to stay out of the city area then to avoid those taxes. 28117 and 28115 are the two zip codes with 28115 having the majority of the city taxed housing I believe. However, with that said, I live in 28115 and am not within city limits so it's not cut and dry based on zip code. You'll really want to look at the listings to see if the school system is Mooresville Graded School District (MGSD) or Iredell County. You want county to save on taxes.

Old 01-09-2015, 05:35 PM

129 posts, read 201,084 times
Just moved to Cornelius from Long Island - even premium property taxes will be nothing compared to what you were paying on LI.

My taxes on LI were about 20K, when we moved here our high waterfront taxes are 3600.

Cable and food are about comparable to LI. Gas is much less.

Overall, a different, easier way of life.

Old 01-10-2015, 09:39 AM

282 posts, read 382,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by murphyslawx69 View Post
Thank you
GLM
You can check the property taxes on the Iredell Co. web site:
Iredell County Tax Administration/Land Records

If you click on the left side "Online Tax Services"
Then on the top tabs, "Tax Bill Search"
For example put in this property account number 28297000
You can also search properties by street name, etc.

Description----Levied
SOLID WASTE- 52.00
COUNTY FIRE- 121.48
MV SCH------ 321.05
COUNTY ----- 841.67
Totals ------ $1,336.20

Old 01-10-2015, 09:28 PM

21 posts, read 56,861 times
I see this is your first post. It is my second! I'm up late missing my old home in the North Lincoln School district (Pumpkin Center, as it is called locally). Does it have to be Mooresville for you? We shopped and ate a lot there, since it was only about 15 minutes away, but we personally could never live over there because of the congestion. Definitely check traffic, and good luck to you. We miss that neck of the woods!

Old 01-10-2015, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC_Always View Post
I see this is your first post. It is my second! I'm up late missing my old home in the North Lincoln School district (Pumpkin Center, as it is called locally). Does it have to be Mooresville for you? We shopped and ate a lot there, since it was only about 15 minutes away, but we personally could never live over there because of the congestion. Definitely check traffic, and good luck to you. We miss that neck of the woods!
Mooresville isn't bad if you live here and know how to get around without getting on 150. I use to think it was the worst place in NC for traffic and loved leaving it behind, then I moved here, found the back roads to get around the city with and really never get on 150 and that mess ever. I leave that for the folks visiting!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte