U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2007, 09:33 AM

5,783 posts, read 8,411,807 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CouponJack View Post
Mikeykid- if you read my posts on the real estate section of CD you know I have many issues w/commissions for realtors. I think she SHOULD look into other options, my point was she said she couldn't afford it and that was a red flag to me...that's all.
Yeah my "wtf" was shock since I always thought your posts were well thought out and excellent... that one seemed to be out of whack with your typical commentary.

It's tough on forums as we really don't "know" each other and have to depend solely on written words. Context can throw it off.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2007, 10:06 AM

153 posts, read 431,761 times
Well, to kimbels, I am not sure you would sell your house for less if FSBO, because what about the realtors who are selling nothing and just want to make a sale, period? Lowering the price of your home 10K is nothing to them. They'll still be making money. It might mean make or break to you, you know? It's a lot to think about. There are buyers and sellers forums on zillow.com that are pretty interesting and detailed from both sides. You might want to check them out.

Old 12-07-2007, 11:43 AM

9,114 posts, read 15,640,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyKid View Post
Yeah my "wtf" was shock since I always thought your posts were well thought out and excellent... that one seemed to be out of whack with your typical commentary.

It's tough on forums as we really don't "know" each other and have to depend solely on written words. Context can throw it off.
I know what you mean. My bad. Should've thrown the "disclaimer" in there from the beginning...

Old 12-07-2007, 01:11 PM

462 posts, read 1,684,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CouponJack View Post
It really sounds like you're in dire straits financially if you can't afford to pay a realtor to sell your house.

My advice would be to wait it out for at least a year or so , get your financial "house" in order and see where you are..
I would disagree with this statement too. My brother just sold his house in NY on his own after being on the market for a mere 9 days. He is the furthest thing from being in dire straights. Selling a home in 9 days is unheard of in NY right now but he knew what he had compared to what was around him for sale in the same price range and knew he had a good chance of doing it on his own. Good thing for him because now he does not have to pay a realtor for the sale of his home. He has property in Upstate NY that he is having trouble selling but unfortunately it is listed through a realty because they are doing little to nothing to sell the property. He can't wait until the contract runs out with them so he can go about it on his own.
I personally believe that a realty will focus on moving the properties that will make them the most money first, and if your property does not fit into that category well than you sit on the back burner. That in this kind of market can kill you. I know if I were to sell my house now, I would try FSBO first and than if it was to the point that I had no bites than I would hire a realty, but again that is just me.

Old 12-07-2007, 01:57 PM

116 posts, read 298,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimbels View Post
Hubby and I are going to be listing our house for sale soon but need to know if we should list by owner, with broker or by agent. Does anyone have any advice. We can't afford the 6% an agent charges so we are looking for ideas & help. Thanks.
If you're maybe prepared to pay a buyers agent commission of say a typical 2.5%-3% even while selling as a FSBO why not look towards a discount brokerage firm who would/could drastically reduce the selling side of the commission to give you basic exposure on MLS. These are fairly common approaches called limited listing agreements. You decide on the level of service and work out a reduced amount of commission accordingly.
The benefit to the agent/firm is they may pick up the buyer for you to earn the buyers side of the commission. Its an educated gamble which sometimes pays off for the agent/firm........just my 2cents..

Old 12-07-2007, 08:56 PM

142 posts, read 559,190 times
Default Another option

There is a company that you can pay a flat fee (around $250 I think) and they will list your house on the MLS and Realtor.com. I dont recall their name but if you cant find it PM me and Ill look for it. I listed my house this way for a while before getting a realtor. You will still have to pay the buyers realtor, but 2.5%-3% is better than paying both a buyer and seller agent.

Old 12-08-2007, 10:45 AM

5,783 posts, read 8,411,807 times
Just for the record... my recent sale was with a full service brokerage (Coldwell Banker) at 4.5%.

Commissions are negotiable.

Old 12-11-2007, 11:36 AM

9,114 posts, read 15,640,589 times
Can you please explain how she will save you "2%" when most realtors only make 1 1/2 - 2% off each transaction on a 6% commission?

Old 12-13-2007, 04:42 AM

13 posts, read 30,155 times
Funny thing is , in a FSBO scenario , both parties think they are saving the fees. Who really is ?

Old 12-13-2007, 06:03 AM

7,928 posts, read 17,757,283 times
very true..the only way the realtor is making 6% on a 6% listing is if she or he sells lists it and is the buyer agent on it as well...otherwise they are making 3% and paying out 3% on a full listing. and in the case of the 9 days being sold, well since im from NY and have a license in NY not everyone is in that position as these Mortgages are hurting alot of people and some just have to get out and alot of them are upside down so to speak. so your brother is very lucky and the fact that he made money is even luckyier in this market.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte