Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2014, 09:43 AM

9 posts, read 11,450 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by feng21 View Post
W.John's home retain value and I agree about the info on waybridge - its sparse. That said did you look at Weiland's weddington chase community on providence road?
Do a search on PD on this forums- it had its ups and downs.
Thank you Fen. I did look at a couple houses in Weddington Chase. Unfortuanately both were eliminated quite quickly because both had kitchens pretty isolated (def not open) from the main areas even though the rest of the home seemed great. Unfortunately there were only 2 for us to see during our time there the last couple days. Now we have to make a decision between the Waybridge home and the home off of Unbridled Ln in Providence Downs. Appreciate the time!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2014, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisJames View Post
Why? If you're treating this purchase as a very temporary place of residence (with a sales flip) or as an investment rental in a few years, I would see that as a sound approach in viewing it as an investment. But if you're viewing this as a residential place that you're planting roots for a decent length of time, then I would think that your primary criteria would focus on schools for your toddlers (which could be a more important long-term social and financial investment), neighborhood feel and amenities, and positive externalities. In other words, the purchase should focus on what could significantly increase your family's happiness, comfort and personal development over the long-term. Of course, these other considerations generally dovetail with the value of a piece of residential real estate.

But real estate does not always have to go up! It went down and sideways for me from 1989-2003; up on steroids from 2003-2007; and down 2008-2012. And past financial bubbles and mania and the recent recession could thwart sound decision-making, if one focuses solely on potential "investment" gain.
I am looking to own the home for maybe 10-15 years. Not interested in a flip at all as this house isn't the type to make money flipping. It's been sitting in PD for sale for 14 months at the same price. Here's the home in case anyone is interested in seeing what I am considering: 9214 Unbridle Ln, Waxhaw, NC 28173 is For Sale - Zillow . All the things you've mentioned are very important to me: schools, neighborhood feel, amenities, etc. And I am comparing all of those with the Waybridge home and neighborhood, and of course, trying to get a sense on what folks thing of the financials of the PD and Waybridge communities. Thanks!

Old 04-10-2014, 11:54 AM

309 posts, read 765,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Austinpeyton View Post
That is correct. I guess that's it's not connected to the main part at all.
Many of us can relate to those fears and anxieties about such a big change. You're not just buying a new house, you are relocating to a whole new region. Ultimately, what it will come down to is what YOU want and what is best for your family. It sounds like you are drawn to the PD house.

If you are coming here as transplants, I can say that PD has many other transplants so people are open to welcoming new neighbors. Plus the pool is a great way to meet others from all over the development.

PD is a large subdivision that is a little more spread out, but it is all one development. Everyone has the same access to the same amenities. In fact, some of those phases that are not in the "main" part have a more neighborly feel because they are true cul-de-sacs with little outside traffic, unlike the "main" section that has much more traffic.

Old 04-10-2014, 12:39 PM

27 posts, read 56,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by somersmom View Post
in fact, some of those phases that are not in the "main" part have a more neighborly feel because they are true cul-de-sacs with little outside traffic, unlike the "main" section that has much more traffic.
+1

Old 04-10-2014, 01:22 PM

3 posts, read 3,487 times
Having watched the various housing markets in this particular area for over 10 years now, I can say that Providence Downs, while hit like a lot of the others in the area, has recovered particularly well.. There are few if any lots left in the neighborhood.. that should tell you something right there. The desirability of this neighborhood due to it's location, schools, amenities, well built custom homes, etc. make it a more desirable neighborhood for all the right reasons, and the prices in that development have borne this out. Plenty of 7 figure sales in that neighborhood lately...

Old 04-10-2014, 02:16 PM

451 posts, read 711,840 times
I can't speak to Waybridge or know the comps over there, but I know PD and that part you are interested in. Plenty of houses are priced at or above $700K-$800K in PD and the Marvin area in general including new ones being built so you are not going to be at the top end. They are even building $1M+ houses again in PDS. Don't know how strict Weddington is going to be with the 1 acre rule but Marvin seems like it is going to stay on top of developers and I would be surprised if anything under $600K is going to be built in the future.

As far as the Unbridle house it's not backing up to New Town which is good. A lot of people on that street walk their dogs/kids over in Walden Pond since it is right across the street. If it were on Man of War in the main part of PD I would say no thanks. As long as you understand that the pool/clubhouse is a 3 minute drive and can't be walked and you are getting a good discount compared to the main part of PD I'd say you would be ok.

Old 04-10-2014, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobsr View Post
Having watched the various housing markets in this particular area for over 10 years now, I can say that Providence Downs, while hit like a lot of the others in the area, has recovered particularly well.. There are few if any lots left in the neighborhood.. that should tell you something right there. The desirability of this neighborhood due to it's location, schools, amenities, well built custom homes, etc. make it a more desirable neighborhood for all the right reasons, and the prices in that development have borne this out. Plenty of 7 figure sales in that neighborhood lately...
Thank you, Bobsr, as this is very comforting to know. Maybe it's just the house I'm looking at in particular sitting on the market for more than a year. It baffles me that there's only a few up for sale but then this house is sitting here for over a year at almost 8,000 square feet with no one biting. Must just have it priced much too high, or worse, it's got issues with the house itself.

Old 04-10-2014, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunshineCJ View Post
I can't speak to Waybridge or know the comps over there, but I know PD and that part you are interested in. Plenty of houses are priced at or above $700K-$800K in PD and the Marvin area in general including new ones being built so you are not going to be at the top end. They are even building $1M+ houses again in PDS. Don't know how strict Weddington is going to be with the 1 acre rule but Marvin seems like it is going to stay on top of developers and I would be surprised if anything under $600K is going to be built in the future.

As far as the Unbridle house it's not backing up to New Town which is good. A lot of people on that street walk their dogs/kids over in Walden Pond since it is right across the street. If it were on Man of War in the main part of PD I would say no thanks. As long as you understand that the pool/clubhouse is a 3 minute drive and can't be walked and you are getting a good discount compared to the main part of PD I'd say you would be ok.
Thanks Sunshine. You just hit on two important topics I was searching for...the where to walk a dog (we have two active golden retrievers) and where the pool and clubhouse were located!

Why do you way we're "getting a discount compared to the main part of PD"? Are you saying the houses are a little less expensive? Thanks for all your help!

Old 04-10-2014, 04:11 PM

451 posts, read 711,840 times
Pool/clubhouse is tucked off Kentucky Derby I think. There is also a soccer/lacrosse field on Man of War at Crane.

I just think there should be a discount since you are in PD by name only, not really in the main part of the neighborhood where you could walk or bike to the pool. Same goes for the other part of PD across New Town. Just strange how the developer did it. Maybe that discount is factored in given the price. I wouldn't pay $820 for the one almost across the street because it backs to New Town and has the power lines.

Old 04-10-2014, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunshineCJ View Post
Pool/clubhouse is tucked off Kentucky Derby I think. There is also a soccer/lacrosse field on Man of War at Crane.

I just think there should be a discount since you are in PD by name only, not really in the main part of the neighborhood where you could walk or bike to the pool. Same goes for the other part of PD across New Town. Just strange how the developer did it. Maybe that discount is factored in given the price. I wouldn't pay $820 for the one almost across the street because it backs to New Town and has the power lines.

Understand, thank you. Makes sense. I don't believe the seller is very motivated to sell based on having the same price on the house for 14+ months. It's actually quite comical when starting to look at things in that market. Agree on the house across the street. I actually viewed that property and it was one of the worst floor plans and disorganized houses I have ever seen. It should be priced closer to $600K. I think it will be sitting empty for years ....especially considering it wasn't well taken care of either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte