Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2007, 08:43 PM

130 posts, read 677,721 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,
We're debating what city to relocate to and Charlotte has come up again as an option. Just curious about commuting....how long would it take during rush hour to go from Union County (Waxhaw/Weddington areas) to the South Park Mall (hubby's office would be near there)?

Thanks in advance!
Jess
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2007, 06:20 PM

Anyone have any comments? Are we talking 20-30 minutes or closer to 45???

Old 12-08-2007, 07:52 PM

264 posts, read 918,181 times
In rush hour, from Waxhaw, at least 45. Probably closer to an hour, to be honest. There is no easy way to get to South Park from Waxhaw, and the plans to widen Providence Road south of 485 keep getting put off -- it's years away. You'd fight Providence Road traffic to 485, then it's busy from 485 to Fairview, then across Fairview to the mall. I live near 485 and Providence inside the loop. We didn't even look at any houses south of the loop because of the bad traffic getting to 485. Anyway in rush hour it takes me a good 35 minutes, and I'm 25 minutes (again in rush hour traffic) at *least*, north of Waxhaw. An alternative would be Providence to 485 then to South Blvd. I guess, then north to Tyvola. Or perhaps you could cross through Union County to 521/Johnston Road and then north, it turns into Park Rd.
But still you're looking at at least 45 minutes during rush hour.

I don't work in South Park but I am constantly over there for other reasons, and I drive over there at various times of day and take various routes.

Wish there was better news for you. I'd look at neighborhoods closer in if you are really concerned about a long commute.

Old 12-08-2007, 07:55 PM

264 posts, read 918,181 times
p.s. I see you are in Virginia. What part? We lived there before, too.

Others will probably disagree with what I've said above, but the only way to truly find out is to drive it yourself during the exact time of day. Charlotte has terrible traffic problems, and south of 485 to Waxhaw is one of the worst hot spots in the suburbs that I know of.

Old 12-08-2007, 08:05 PM

thanks for your replies solnechko. I wasn't happy with the answer but glad to get an answer! We currently live outside of Washington DC so hubby is used to horrendous traffic....we were just hoping to lessen the burden down there.

Was looking into Union County to get lower taxes and better schools. Open to other areas though. Any other recommendations? We're looking for 3000sft, around 400-500k and 4+ bedrooms. We have kids so good schools are vital and family friendly neighborhoods are what we're after.
Thanks,
Jess

Old 12-09-2007, 06:15 AM

1,895 posts, read 6,167,413 times
It really depends on where in Waxhaw you live. If you live in the actual town, it can be quite long. I live in Hunter Oaks, which has a Waxhaw address but is actually just over the border from South Charlotte. I think during rush hour it wouldn't take more than 30-40 minutes at the most. During non-rush hour it takes about 20 minutes.

Also, I wouldn't recommend traveling on Providence Road to Waxhaw unless you absolutely have to. Take Rea Road south and then intersect with Providence on the southern end. You would avoid the Providence 485 interchange.

Old 12-09-2007, 08:07 AM

Thanks so much for your reply. Now we're talking better commute times! I doubt we'd be all the way in Waxhaw....the homes in Hunter Oaks and the surrounding communities look like what we'd be after anyway. Relocation is still a long ways off though. Just trying to get a better picture of what life in Charlotte would hold for us.
Thanks so much,
Jess

Old 12-09-2007, 12:16 PM

1,031 posts, read 2,426,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by solnechko View Post
There is no easy way to get to South Park from Waxhaw, and the plans to widen Providence Road south of 485 keep getting put off -- it's years away. .

They are currently clearing the rightaway areas on Hwy 16 between 485 and Hwy 84. Widing is supposed to start in January.

Old 12-10-2007, 10:33 AM

Well that should help....thanks!

Old 12-11-2007, 12:51 PM

46 posts, read 202,963 times
Do a search in zip 28211 on Realtor.com with your specs. For e.g., there is a home on Queen Charlottes Court that is 2805 sf with 4 beds, 3.5 baths that would be appx 4 miles from Southpark, 5 miles from uptown Charlotte and is zoned for Myers Park High that is under $500k. There is also a brand new development on Sharon Amity called Whitby Pond with homes near 300 sf priced just under $500k - also zoned for Myers Park High. Again, very close to Southpark and Uptown, as well as Cotswold Shopping Center.

Other zips to check are 28210, 28226 and 28270. In your price range, you have lots of options other than Union County that will avoid that commute up Providence Road.

Myers Park High and Providence High are very good schools. Not sure of the age of your kids.

As for taxes, "In rejecting a land transfer tax hike Tuesday, along with voters in 15 other counties, Union's voters have spoken, commissioner Allan Baucom said. "Their preference is that property taxes be increased."

I'm not saying they will immediately get to the level of Charlotte taxes, but growth in the area will certainly drive an increase in order to support services.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte