Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2014, 01:32 PM

3 posts, read 2,625 times

Advertisements

Hi im a teacher from Michigan and I just recieved an offer to teach in Charlotte/Mecklenburg. What is the school system like? Can someone tell me about the area and what would be the best place to move if i consider taking the position. I am Afrikan-American have 4 children (2,10,12,18) my wife is a teacher also. We currently live in semi-suburban area outside Detroit on .75 acre in 5bed 4 bath home. Help needed in making decision because I also got an offer from Port St.Lucie, FL as well and I'm trying to compare the two as which will be best for our family. Thank you in advance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2014, 03:46 PM

1,763 posts, read 3,292,682 times
We really would have to know your budget in order to recommend a place to move. Do you know which school you will be teaching at? Schools in the CMS system vary drastically in quality which would affect where you choose to live. There are many schools which are virtually all minority, a few fairly balanced schools and some with less than 10% AA - particularly to the south along Rte 51 and I485 which most people consider to be the best schools.

Old 04-10-2014, 06:24 PM

3 posts, read 2,625 times
my budget is meager because I am a teacher so $150-175,000

Old 04-10-2014, 06:35 PM

1,199 posts, read 1,552,620 times
That entire school system (CMS) is a disaster. Good luck if you choose NC over FL.

Old 04-10-2014, 06:39 PM

1,763 posts, read 3,292,682 times
You could check out the following areas: Starmount, Ashebrook, and Indian trail. All have decent schools. It will be almost impossible to find 5 bedrooms in that price range unless in a very bad area. Charlotte has a higher cost of living than the Detroit area.
However, if you would be teaching in the north end of the country, I would recommend a different area.

Old 04-12-2014, 07:21 AM

645 posts, read 1,068,785 times
There was a thread about this about a month ago. Lots of opinions about Char-meck schools. Lots of cut-backs and layoffs here. Shootings and drugs in some schools.

Head for Florida. Much better system.

Old 04-12-2014, 11:18 AM

309 posts, read 766,022 times
I teach in CMS so feel free to PM me if you have specific questions. Many people have a very pessimistic view of it b/c it's an urban district and has lots of problems, but there are some good points, too. What school would you be in? CMS is a pretty big system so where you end up living/looking for a house would depend on where you are teaching. Also, if you are on the fringes of the district, living in one of the surrounding counties could be an option and cheaper.

As for teaching in NC, I would say proceed with caution. They have gotten rid of pay for advanced degrees, the legislature is pretty anti-teacher, and we are at the bottom of the nation for pay in general.

Not sure how much better FLA is, but it may be marginally better than NC.

Old 04-12-2014, 06:27 PM
LLN

5,265 posts, read 10,729,092 times
I think you would be making the biggest mistake in your life if you came to NC to teach. And I know nothing about you, but I do not want to see you screw up by coming here to teach.

Many people think the State Legislature is our enemy. Just one of many. Keep on truckin!

Old 04-13-2014, 01:42 PM

415 posts, read 606,991 times
As a parent potentially moving to Charlotte with a young son, what is so wrong with the Charlotte school system? We were looking at schools like Selwyn and Beverly Woods for our son....

Old 04-13-2014, 09:14 PM

985 posts, read 1,901,734 times
Well you won't have the union support you do up in Michigan, which means the pay scale is different too. This has positives and negatives. We moved here 3 years ago from "southeast" Michigan. We love the weather and the area to raise a family. It is less "depressed" than Michigan, but most places are.

So, it really is about you think you may want, if you have specific question post here or Direct Message me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte