Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2014, 09:02 PM

136 posts, read 386,429 times

Advertisements

I've posted before, we moved here in October and are renting in the Mallard Creek area (and mostly enjoying it so far). However, I work in Ballantyne and hubby works in the University Area. We are looking to buy this year, budget is 250k max, we would love 4 bedrooms and not overly worried about school districts as we have no children and don't have any plans for any. We are from upstate NY and love the suburban feel of Matthews that we've seen so far, and we're okay with the distance that both of us would have to travel for work.

After looking at a map, Indian Trail popped on our radar. I'm hoping you guys can give us some insight on what the community there is like. Is it similar to Matthews or more rural? We really like the idea of paying Union County taxes, but that wouldn't make or break a deal for us.

Lastly, if anyone has any ideas of any specific areas in either Matthews or Indian Trail for us to look at and stay in our budget, we'd love suggestions. We really would like the most bang for our buck -- higher square footage, more bedrooms, etc. We are also okay with an older, but well maintained home.

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2014, 06:21 AM

2,221 posts, read 4,368,457 times
You can actually live in Union County portion of Matthews (as I do) which is also called Indian Trail. we are zone Weddington schools. A neighborhood you might check out Callonwood Homes for Sale in Callonwood – Matthews Nc Homes for Sale , your price point would be the very low end of home prices there. Willomere subdivision is in Matthews (Union County) as well and would be in your price range. The Siskey Y is also only a mile away from these two subdivisions.

Old 04-14-2014, 07:15 AM

821 posts, read 1,842,030 times
Think traffic and take some dry-runs during rush hour when considering Matthews/Indian Trail. You will get more for your money in the Indian Trail area, but it's a big trade off when you consider the commute and associated trade-offs (gas, wear and tear on the vehicles and nerves, time wasted. There's no easy answer, but I would take the time to think traffic since schools is not an issue. Good luck.

Old 04-14-2014, 07:20 AM

1,895 posts, read 6,141,811 times
Either one would work for you. You may just want to consider both, and when you are ready to buy check out homes in both areas. The further out from town you get in Indian Trail can be rural, so you might just want to stay closer in. Willowmere is actually in Mecklenburg County and has a Charlotte address, but is very close to Union county.

Old 04-14-2014, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulosfm View Post
Think traffic and take some dry-runs during rush hour when considering Matthews/Indian Trail. You will get more for your money in the Indian Trail area, but it's a big trade off when you consider the commute and associated trade-offs (gas, wear and tear on the vehicles and nerves, time wasted. There's no easy answer, but I would take the time to think traffic since schools is not an issue. Good luck.
Is Indian Trail much further from 485 than Matthews proper? We would both likely take 485 to work so proximity to that route would be preferred. It didn't look much further on the map, but you guys are the experts.

Appreciate the advice so far and will definitely look more into Indian Trail when the house hunt offically starts. An ad for Callonwood in one of those home magazines is actually what brought Indian Trail to our radar, ironically, so that would be on the list! We will check out Willomere as well, as we really did love Matthews a lot and being in the Union County part would be ideal.

Can anyone speak to the feel of the neigborhood/downtown area of Indian Trail? Is it similar to Matthews?

Old 04-15-2014, 09:53 AM

bump?

Old 04-15-2014, 06:08 PM

469 posts, read 886,632 times
The biggest difference would really be Mecklenburg vs Union county. There is much more new construction going on in Indian Trail so if you're interested in a new house, you probably want to live there. Matthews actually has much more stuff going on as far as in the community, but if you lived in Indian Trail, you'd be so close that it wouldn't make much difference. And like the other person said above, you could live in Indian Trail, but have a Matthews address. Just depends on zip code. You're really not Matthews, but you're close. That being said - I live in Matthews - close to downtown and I love it. I can walk to dowtown and the area where there is a lot of festivals and concerts and movies. I don't think I'd be as enamored if I had to drive to these things. But I am a Matthews lover.

Old 04-16-2014, 10:25 AM

531 posts, read 1,073,817 times
Please come and look around - Matthews is growing and closer to 485. This is a plus for your house depending on where you live. Indian trail is a mixed communities - you will see some areas that you might not like.

Old 04-16-2014, 10:46 AM

We really did love what we've seen so far of Matthews. We haven't had a chance to visit much of the surrounding areas (Indian Trail, Stallings, etc). Drove throught Mint Hill and weren't as impressed as we were with Matthews. We come from Central NY and are used to suburban life - however, with no kids we find it is hard to assimilate as well in the community because we don't get as involved in those typical family activities (little league, scouting, etc). For that reason, we'd like at least a community with some nicer restaurants and want to stay in close proximity to Charlotte proper for more things for us to do. We also love to be outside with the dogs so green space is nice for walks. I believe Matthews has a few parks, no?

Old 04-16-2014, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Go To Girl View Post
The biggest difference would really be Mecklenburg vs Union county. There is much more new construction going on in Indian Trail so if you're interested in a new house, you probably want to live there. Matthews actually has much more stuff going on as far as in the community, but if you lived in Indian Trail, you'd be so close that it wouldn't make much difference. And like the other person said above, you could live in Indian Trail, but have a Matthews address. Just depends on zip code. You're really not Matthews, but you're close. That being said - I live in Matthews - close to downtown and I love it. I can walk to dowtown and the area where there is a lot of festivals and concerts and movies. I don't think I'd be as enamored if I had to drive to these things. But I am a Matthews lover.
For those partial to Matthews, do you have any recommendations for areas you suggest we look in specifically? Our budget is 250k max and we would really like to get as much square footage as possible for our dollar. In addition, we don't want a huge yard, but would like at least a small space for the dogs. We are not huge fans of newer developments where the houses are built right on top of each other. We love having neighbors, but would like perhaps some mature trees for privacy. Lastly, are there any basement homes in Matthews? Coming from NY, we have never known a house without a basement and attic and know things are a little different here... we would love a basement again, but it is not a deal breaker. When visiting Matthews, we were able to drive through one neighborhood, Brightmoor and we liked what we saw, but would love more options. Proximity to 485 is somewhat important.

Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte