Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2014, 07:41 AM

4,980 posts, read 5,393,399 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pumbaa View Post
I was just about to say this UCity is within city limits.
I think the poster was referring to "inner-ring" neighborhoods/Center City/Urban Charlotte.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2014, 03:47 PM

489 posts, read 911,230 times
Quote:
Full Definition of SUBURB

a : an outlying part of a city or town
b : a smaller community adjacent to or within commuting distance of a city
c plural : the residential area on the outskirts of a city or large town
University City is a suburb. End of discussion.

Old 06-21-2014, 08:09 PM

21 posts, read 27,521 times
NY has About 15 towers of 950' or more (ie, taller than anything in Clt) under construction or about to begin. That's a boom.

Old 06-21-2014, 08:26 PM

125 posts, read 243,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShvoJob View Post
NY has About 15 towers of 950' or more (ie, taller than anything in Clt) under construction or about to begin. That's a boom.
You obviously came her to troll, a boom is completely relative. 15 towers is a boom for New York City just as 4 or 5 is for Charlotte, no matter the size of the building. Not to mention comparing NYC to Charlotte is apples and oranges. Its like comparing New York to the likes of Hong Kong, a city that has double the number of large towers.

Old 06-21-2014, 08:45 PM

1,461 posts, read 2,958,476 times
Quote:
Oh.

Old 06-21-2014, 08:54 PM

21 posts, read 27,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jakekansas123 View Post
You obviously came her to troll, a boom is completely relative. 15 towers is a boom for New York City just as 4 or 5 is for Charlotte, no matter the size of the building. Not to mention comparing NYC to Charlotte is apples and oranges. Its like comparing New York to the likes of Hong Kong, a city that has double the number of large towers.
HK does not have double the number of towers that NY does, and it has far fewer 1,000' plus towers.

Lastly, NY has about 50 towers of 400' or more under construction at the moment. 15 relates only to those of 950' or more.

Old 06-21-2014, 09:40 PM

125 posts, read 243,537 times
Quote:
HK does not have double the number of towers that NY does, and it has far fewer 1,000' plus towers.

Lastly, NY has about 50 towers of 400' or more under construction at the moment. 15 relates only to those of 950' or more.
Cities with the most skyscrapers | Statistics | EMPORIS

NY has a very large number of low-rise buildings that often get put into data involving "towers". Hong Kong has double the number of large towers because of the lack of space and the fact that not as many people commute to work from suburbs in Hong Kong so they live in the city in large housing structures.

Those of us in architecture use sites like emporis for superficial research before we go into an area that we are about to work in. So if you want to read articles from wikipedia etc. and get all your information from there be my guest, but I can promise you there are much better sites out there for quality data.

On a side note, NY does have very impressive buildings in the works, some of which I am proud to have a hand in creating. NY's skyline will be changing drastically over the next few years.

Old 06-22-2014, 06:10 PM

3,866 posts, read 4,278,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jakekansas123 View Post
Cities with the most skyscrapers | Statistics | EMPORIS

NY has a very large number of low-rise buildings that often get put into data involving "towers". Hong Kong has double the number of large towers because of the lack of space and the fact that not as many people commute to work from suburbs in Hong Kong so they live in the city in large housing structures.

Those of us in architecture use sites like emporis for superficial research before we go into an area that we are about to work in. So if you want to read articles from wikipedia etc. and get all your information from there be my guest, but I can promise you there are much better sites out there for quality data.

On a side note, NY does have very impressive buildings in the works, some of which I am proud to have a hand in creating. NY's skyline will be changing drastically over the next few years.
Good info, what is the minimum height to be considered a skyscraper? I do recall what Dubai was doing a few years ago.....I'm sure what you would call that but it seemed well beyond a "boom"....eat your heart out Nu Yawk.

Old 06-22-2014, 08:11 PM

21 posts, read 63,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmysmile View Post
I found a funfact that i thought was intersting-
"Raleigh plans on extending there lightrail to connect with Chapel Hill and Durham-which would make the largest light rail in the world"
Anyways,
Durham is about 3.8 hours away from DC. It's just a drive through Virginia and somewhat at the border of Maryland.
Durham is closer to DC then it is to Charlotte.
Durham is also 7.5 hours away from New York City, with smaller states in the northern part- so companies should try to invest in Charlotte. For example- It cost's more money to own land everywhere in New York City. There is a height restriction in DC, as well as Charlotte has more people then DC, Jersey City is smaller then Charlotte, as well as all the rest of the cities in new Jersey. Not much in SC, then we run into a big problem. Atlanta. Even though 'physically' Charlotte is bigger then Atlanta- 'mentally' Atlanta is bigger then Charlotte.
List of tallest buildings in Atlanta - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
List of tallest buildings in Charlotte - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
1. Raleigh doesn't have a light rail, so it cannot be "extended"
2. Durham to Charlote: 2 hour and 15 minutes Driving. Durham to DC 4 hours driving.
https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Durh...7!2d35.2270869
https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Durh...7!2d38.9071923
3. Charlotte has 1/2 the Metro population of Atlanta. And the rest of what you wrote is pure drivel.

Old 06-22-2014, 08:19 PM

21 posts, read 63,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmysmile View Post
Impossible. There was a 5k square foot house in charlotte for sale for the past few months (currently sold) for 11 million dollars. That just means that wherever your house is, has low land value. I wasn't considering how DC has more expensive land value then charlotte-but how there are more millionaires in Charlotte then there are in DC. I would post several links to prove that but apparently "city-data" has competitors. Though i can list a few facts to think about-
1. Charlotte has more high rises then DC.
2. SouthPark is very big. From the start of SouthPark to SouthPark Mall (which is as far as i've been) is over 13 miles. And that is a straight road. So all the expensive houses there are on the right and left into separate neighborhoods are very long.
Here is a good example of a house for sale in Fayetteville-
Address- 460 Willow Bend Lane Fayetteville, Nc
Price- $1,749,900
Size-5,000 square feet 6 bedroom 6 bathroom
-----
Are you trying to say that it costs more to live in Fayetteville then it does to live in Charlotte?
For people who live in charlotte 3,000 squarefeet is considered to be a "average" size.

1. Well duh.
2. What? 13 miles? Have you ever looked at a map. What road are you talking about?
Southpark neighborhood (Barclay Downs) is only 1.641 square miles and only has 4,389 people. If I had to guess what road you would be talking about it would be Sharon, and those houses are part of Foxcroft/Eastover and Myers Park.

Btw the median house in Washington DC is $460,000
The Median house price in Charlotte is $153,400
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte