Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2014, 07:47 PM

1,877 posts, read 4,863,254 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEmissary View Post
Well folks, here is a state-by-state comparison of traffic fatalities.

Traffic Deaths by State - Fatal Car Crash Statistics

The majority of states that supply NC with new residents tend to have much lower fatality rates than NC, with the exception of SC. From my observations of living here for 9 years, there seems to be a high incidence of single-car accidents and drunk driving compared to my former state of NJ. Perhaps some of the natives should start looking in their rear-view mirrors and using turn signals before they accuse "outsiders" as being the predominant cause of NC's much-higher than average fatality rate.
The fact that the bulk of NC's traffic fatalities occur in rural areas partially supports your hypothesis. However, while only 30% of NC's traffic fatalities occur in urban areas, 88% of New Jersey's occur in urban areas. Based on that, it is not a stretch to assume that urban drivers from other states, NJ in particular, are skewing the data, and dying on Charlotte's roads.

State Motor Vehicle Crash Statistics
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2014, 08:07 PM

3,320 posts, read 5,565,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEmissary View Post
Well folks, here is a state-by-state comparison of traffic fatalities.

Traffic Deaths by State - Fatal Car Crash Statistics

The majority of states that supply NC with new residents tend to have much lower fatality rates than NC, with the exception of SC. From my observations of living here for 9 years, there seems to be a high incidence of single-car accidents and drunk driving compared to my former state of NJ. Perhaps some of the natives should start looking in their rear-view mirrors and using turn signals before they accuse "outsiders" as being the predominant cause of NC's much-higher than average fatality rate.

O.K. If it will make you feel better I am sure it is Charlotte natives (all 25 of us ) that cause most of the fatalities

Sad that people want to make this a native vs transplant issue...

Seriously, I think cell phone use should be outlawed here. I think people on their phones are the reason for most of the crazy driving. That and the a**holes that have an hour commute and think they have a right to zip in and out of traffic.

Old 04-21-2014, 08:53 PM

2,603 posts, read 5,017,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoagie58 View Post
The fact that the bulk of NC's traffic fatalities occur in rural areas partially supports your hypothesis. However, while only 30% of NC's traffic fatalities occur in urban areas, 88% of New Jersey's occur in urban areas. Based on that, it is not a stretch to assume that urban drivers from other states, NJ in particular, are skewing the data, and dying on Charlotte's roads.

State Motor Vehicle Crash Statistics
Only 5 percent of people in New Jersey live in rural areas. In NC, 33 percent of people live in rural areas. By that measure, NJ urbanites are safer drivers than NC urbanites.

How Rural Are the States? | Daily Yonder | Keep It Rural

Old 04-21-2014, 09:27 PM

3,774 posts, read 8,190,813 times
No doubt all the transplants cause more accidents and I can prove it:

More transplants = more people
More people = more suburbs
More suburbs = more car trips

Then factor:
NCDOT Budget = not enough
Overcrowded roads = short tempers
Short tempers = Yankees? (<--- that's a funny folks, have a laugh)

But seriously, you see where I'm going here...

Old 04-22-2014, 02:45 AM

1,877 posts, read 4,863,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coped View Post
Only 5 percent of people in New Jersey live in rural areas. In NC, 33 percent of people live in rural areas. By that measure, NJ urbanites are safer drivers than NC urbanites.

How Rural Are the States? | Daily Yonder | Keep It Rural

Garbage statistics. Take NY, for example: following the article's metric, an urban area is one with a population of more than 50,000 people. There are 14 "urban" areas in NY, that meet that criteria. Combined, those populations total 49% of NY state's population. An additional 7 million people would need to live in "urban" areas, for NY to have the 17% rural residency that your link lists. That's simply not the case.

Old 04-22-2014, 05:34 AM

6,321 posts, read 10,333,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotteborn View Post
Seriously, I think cell phone use should be outlawed here. I think people on their phones are the reason for most of the crazy driving.
This is a good point. Although I'm surprised only 12 states + DC have a full ban on handheld cell phones.

Old 04-22-2014, 06:59 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,448,814 times
When I moved back here in 2002, my car insurance went up substantially, as I was told that Charlotte is a high risk area for auto accidents (whatever that means).

That was 12 years ago.

I felt at that time, at least part of the problem was the lack of infrastructure to meet demand.

As time has elapsed since then, I have decided it is a combination of factors.

The infrastructure is definitely a HUGE problem.

Add aggressive driving style (which I see on the east coast in general in big cities) -- which has brought me to the conclusion that the aggression is often from people who have moved here from elsewhere.

Also, I have a lot of friends on FB who are from other regions, and the discussion on their pages is often about driving in the Charlotte area. They complain about getting speeding tickets, how "slow" NC drivers are, how mean-spirited folks are about merging traffic (not letting folks into a line of often slow moving traffic), etc. This has led me to wonder if the short tempers, aggressive driving style is often from transplants. NOT ALWAYS - but often.

I drive frequently on 485. It really chaps my hiney when I have moved into the middle lane in prep for it going to 2 lanes, and then folks wait til the last minute, and nearly cause an accident swooping in front of me at the last minute. We had several miles of warnings . . . why on earth didn't they fall in line like everyone else instead of causing me to slam on brakes and PRAY I am not going to hit them? No warning, no steady "beside me" with indicator light on, asking to please let them in front of me - just this sudden "out of nowhere" car (once in a while, with NJ or NY plates) suddenly swooping in front of me.

So what does this teach me? Now, I tend to not leave any space in front of my car, which is also dumb, as a few people slamming on brakes will mean I may not have enough space to stop, even in slow moving traffic. But it just peeves me no end that people will decide "I am not going to wait here in this line of traffic and take my turn with merging - I am going to gun it and go around 1 mile's worth of traffic and butt in line and save myself a few minutes."

I never have felt I had a bad attitude about driving, but I continually feel I have a bad attitude when driving in Charlotte traffic. I will be sailing along enjoying the drive from Boone . . . not even minding the crazy exchanges and changing speed zones on 321, I-85 . . . merge seamlessly onto 485 - and the madness begins. People act like utter fools.

So yes, I do think some of it is transplants. And I think some of it is from longer term residents and natives who have gotten piqued with the rude (and sometimes downright dangerous) actions of newcomers. I think if we had a more robust infrastructure (5 lanes each way on 485, for example) . . . a lot of the foolishness would simply dissipate. It has to be combination of factors.

Old 04-22-2014, 07:10 AM

2,798 posts, read 2,988,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
... how mean-spirited folks are about merging traffic (not letting folks into a line of often slow moving traffic), etc. This has led me to wonder if the short tempers, aggressive driving style is often from transplants. NOT ALWAYS - but often.

I drive frequently on 485. It really chaps my hiney when I have moved into the middle lane in prep for it going to 2 lanes, and then folks wait til the last minute, and nearly cause an accident swooping in front of me at the last minute. We had several miles of warnings . . . why on earth didn't they fall in line like everyone else instead of causing me to slam on brakes and PRAY I am not going to hit them? No warning, no steady "beside me" with indicator light on, asking to please let them in front of me - just this sudden "out of nowhere" car (once in a while, with NJ or NY plates) suddenly swooping in front of me.

So what does this teach me? Now, I tend to not leave any space in front of my car, which is also dumb, as a few people slamming on brakes will mean I may not have enough space to stop, even in slow moving traffic. ...
Damn, this sounds like Boston driving. I'm glad to say I've noticed almost none of this in Raleigh (and more than happy to have left it behind up north); people seem perfectly happy to let you merge and pretty cooperative in general except for not using their blinkers.

Old 04-22-2014, 07:17 AM

52,433 posts, read 26,600,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post

... Some of these accidents defy logic and it made me wonder if Fast and Furious 6 just ended at Concord Mall because as soon as we hit Concord the driving got real intense.
In a nutshell, too many drivers looking at smart phones and not looking at the road.

I'm surprised there isn't more mayhem out there considering how many times I've seen drivers focused on their phones.

Old 04-22-2014, 07:19 AM

1,166 posts, read 1,379,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scratchie View Post
Damn, this sounds like Boston driving. I'm glad to say I've noticed almost none of this in Raleigh (and more than happy to have left it behind up north); people seem perfectly happy to let you merge and pretty cooperative in general except for not using their blinkers.
I use my blinkers all the time, but it seems more often than not, turning your blinker on to indicate a lane change is just a signal for the car in the next lane to speed up and cut you off rather than let you in. I can see why so many people don't indicate a lane change!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte