Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2007, 09:38 AM

45,217 posts, read 100,729,092 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by groove1 View Post
Matthews is nice, but the only thing I know about the schools are they are part of CMS (Charlotte Mecklenburg Schools).
The Matthews area schools are pretty good groove, a few are the tops

Matthews is a very desirable section of Charlotte, not only because of the schools, but because of the family atmosphere and many nice neighborhoods.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2007, 09:42 AM

45,217 posts, read 100,729,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the 7 oh 4 View Post
Matthews is very nice...however your options to get into the city (Uptown) are limited and VERY clogged during rush hour. You are looking at 1hr easy with no rain (PLEASE PLEASE rain) or wrecks, but if you don't work Uptown then that is not an issue.
One hour is a bit of an exaggeration! I regularly drive from Matthews to uptown at 8 a.m. and get there is 30 minutes. I suppose if one lived on the Matthews/Union county line it could be a headache and take more time, but much of Matthews is closer to Charlotte than that.

Old 12-11-2007, 09:49 AM

2,560 posts, read 8,554,600 times
You are correct. I have a friend that has a Matthews address but actually lives in Indian Trail and it takes her 1hr in dry weather per her. Exaggeration is a strong work. Maybe a "stretch" would have been a better choice of words.

Old 12-11-2007, 10:13 AM

5,979 posts, read 19,898,795 times
I guess you have to prioritize what is most important to you. We moved to Fort Mill early this year, as the manner in which they manage their school district was desirable to us. If you're a parent who wants to be involved quite a bit, the Fort Mill School District is 1 of 4 in York County, SC. From what I've heard, CMS is so huge it's hard to get heard.

If property taxes are important to you, then you'd want to stay out of Meck. If you'd rather be on the NC side, look at Union county.

Matthews is nice, but not sure of the schools, and if you're headed to uptown, that's a bear on 74, or westbound on 485 (ugh!)

Activities will be everywhere, and within a commuting distance from anywhere...just whether you want to be in Lake Wylie or Lake Norman would be the question.

Old 12-11-2007, 05:41 PM

8,948 posts, read 20,372,776 times
We live in a nice/new apartment in Huntersville. All we knew when we moved here was that we wanted to live close to Lake Norman because we love lake activities. The traffic on I-77 can be he__ in the morning and at 5PM, but that is because it is only a 2-lane freeway here and there are a lot of people living in the area now. But, as always, people a lot of times have to "take the good with the bad" in where they live. All we know is that we are paying less than we did for our big 2-story house we had in Parker, CO and we don't have to go up-and-down stairs to get to our bedroom......all on one level. Love it!!

Old 12-12-2007, 09:09 AM

2,560 posts, read 8,554,600 times
I-77 is not a 2 lane Interstate towards Huntersville. It is 4 lanes on each side including HOV (carpool Lanes). If you can live at Exit #23 in Huntersville that would be better. Exit #25 is Birkdale (Huntersville) and VERY congested almost all day long.

Huntersville all the way (for a suburb & I live in Uptown) or Fort Mill, SC and you also have 3 and 4 lanes on each side of I-77 going to Fort Mill.

Can't go wrong with either city. Good Luck!

Old 12-12-2007, 05:40 PM

3 posts, read 27,678 times
Thank you all for your suggestions! Trust me, coming from NJ I don't think that the property taxes will compare to what we pay here, $13,000 in property taxes! I will keep on searching. Thanks again!

Old 12-13-2007, 09:28 AM

3 posts, read 8,664 times
I concur on Matthews/Mint Hill. I moved here two years ago from Maryland and live in East Charlotte. I love it here, however the area is changing rapidly and now I am looking to move closer to Pineville.

Old 12-13-2007, 12:28 PM

4,729 posts, read 19,428,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBoating View Post
We live in a nice/new apartment in Huntersville. All we knew when we moved here was that we wanted to live close to Lake Norman because we love lake activities. The traffic on I-77 can be he__ in the morning and at 5PM, but that is because it is only a 2-lane freeway here and there are a lot of people living in the area now. But, as always, people a lot of times have to "take the good with the bad" in where they live. All we know is that we are paying less than we did for our big 2-story house we had in Parker, CO and we don't have to go up-and-down stairs to get to our bedroom......all on one level. Love it!!
Hey, this is the first post I've seen since you were asking about Charlotte. I knew based on your posts you would like it here!

Old 12-15-2007, 03:25 PM

14 posts, read 51,068 times
Default South Carolina options

Fort Mill, Tega Cay, and Lake Wylie SC are all very easy commutes to Charlotte. Taxes in SC are very favorable, compared to Charlotte. Schools are excellent in York County, particularly in those three areas listed above.

For horseback riding, Springs in Fort Mill offers trail rides for the public, "adopt-a-horse" programs, and boarding.

Kayaking and boating are enjoyed on Lake Wylie. There is also a man-made whitewater center in Charlotte (near Lake Wylie). You'll find lots of nice waterfront communities in the area. Newcomers are welcomed!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte