Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2014, 05:12 PM

5,143 posts, read 7,298,141 times

Advertisements

The Charlotte Observer reported today that Harris Teeter will be lowering prices. Due to greater economy of scale and logistical efficiency as a result of the Kroger acquisition. But hopefully this will not signify a decline in quality, as HT is perceived more in the upper tier supermarket segment. But one could also speculate this may be competitive reaction to the threat of Walmart and the arrival of Publix.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2014, 05:19 PM

21,013 posts, read 27,105,781 times
Though I do not mind Harris Teeter having lower prices as their products and service are already great, I am more interested in any expansion plans that may involve Kroger and Harris Teeter re-entering former markets (Greenville/Spartanburg/Anderson, South Carolina) and infilling in existing markets where presence is waning (Columbia, South Carolina).

Old 04-24-2014, 05:51 PM

52,433 posts, read 26,509,895 times
HT has been outrageously high on a number of things. It's good to see them drop some prices.

Old 04-24-2014, 05:59 PM

1,117 posts, read 2,799,543 times
"Over the years, our customers have asked us to lower our prices, and we've listened by introducing various pricing and promotional strategies which drive value to them," said Catherine Becker, communication manager for Harris Teeter.

Haha - yes Catherine - you lowered the prices because the customers asked for it.

Old 04-24-2014, 07:20 PM

2,361 posts, read 4,858,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Megax View Post
"Over the years, our customers have asked us to lower our prices, and we've listened by introducing various pricing and promotional strategies which drive value to them," said Catherine Becker, communication manager for Harris Teeter.

Haha - yes Catherine - you lowered the prices because the customers asked for it.
I totally agree. Amazing how a bit of competition can make you "listen to your customers". Too little, too late. I have a HT in my backyard that I can go to on my golf cart, and a Publix about a mile down the road that I have to go by car. Guess where I go to shop? The customer service is really poor at our HT, they are constantly out of "sale" items, even on the second day, and the management is testy. There are only 2 checkout people that are even nice to you. I will only go there for any really good specials and go to Publix for everything else. Produce nicer and better priced, stores cleaner and brighter, outstanding bakery items, and the best personnel. And rarely if ever out of the sale items, even on the last day of the sale.

Old 04-24-2014, 07:43 PM

64 posts, read 281,365 times
I also go right past HT and drive the couple of extra miles down the road to shop at publix. Their customer service is fabulous and the employees are so friendly! I shopped there the day before Easter and a girl was walking around handing out carnations to anyone who wanted one! They know how to treat their customers!

Old 04-24-2014, 07:46 PM

1,477 posts, read 1,224,373 times
It's about time! Their prices are way too high on many things

Old 04-24-2014, 09:35 PM

14,688 posts, read 26,545,638 times
Ya, great. I'm sure lower prices won't affect the quality of the people they hire or have any impact whatsoever on the maintenance of their stores. They'll turn into Food Lions.

Old 04-25-2014, 06:16 AM

15,355 posts, read 12,595,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bs13690 View Post
Ya, great. I'm sure lower prices won't affect the quality of the people they hire or have any impact whatsoever on the maintenance of their stores. They'll turn into Food Lions.
I've never had bad customer service at a HT.

I'm shocked to hear people bash their customer service.

Old 04-25-2014, 06:20 AM

15,355 posts, read 12,595,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michellelf View Post
I also go right past HT and drive the couple of extra miles down the road to shop at publix. Their customer service is fabulous and the employees are so friendly! I shopped there the day before Easter and a girl was walking around handing out carnations to anyone who wanted one! They know how to treat their customers!
no snark but this sounds cheesy...

maybe they are great at customer service but since they are new to the area I expect them to do these types of things.

It's like dating... everyone is great the first few months. I'm curious to see how consistent they are as time goes on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte