U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2007, 08:27 AM

45,270 posts, read 88,310,401 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by vindaloo View Post
That is just like me, an illiterate person, hanging around the library trying to meet women. Actually, I am just kidding about me hanging around a library and being illiterate. But I am sure that it is a valid analogy anyway.
ACTUALLY, if a person is illiterate hanging around a library is one of the best things they can do! I mean really, can you think of any better place to learn to read than a place filled with books and people wanting to help you? (Maybe one of them would even be a great woman???)

So, your analogy is good as far as I'm concerned - hang out at a church if you don't know God, or Christians, and you may just learn something new

Old 12-20-2007, 08:54 AM

1,852 posts, read 4,666,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncisgreat View Post
Wow, what a colossal waste of time.

Church is primarily for worship. If one wants friends and does not believe in God, one is better off at a weekly Bunco club.

That's like a believer in Christ going to a Muslim mosque weekly to make friends. Um, MAKES NO SENSE
I disagree. It is a place of community, education, worship, etc. A place where like minded individuals can go and commune. Generally people think places of worship/churches (of any religion) cater to a more open, spiritual, friendly and caring group of people. If those are the people you want to be friends with, then Church is a place to be. That is why Churches often, have Bible Studies, Single's Events, Hay Rides, and Church Socials. They are part of the community. In the past much more part of the community, but thats not the what the OP is asking and leads a different path about what today's society looks like. I believe if you are respectful of their views and considerate of their approaches and time, then why not. Again, the churchs that I go to would welcome you.

Old 12-20-2007, 09:38 AM

4,730 posts, read 17,765,382 times
Christ was acceptiong of EVERYONE ESPECIALLY THOSE WHO WERE NOT FOLLOWERS OF GOD.

Old 12-20-2007, 12:46 PM

3 posts, read 7,503 times
We would welcome you at our church! We go to Elevation Church which is a non denominational church. The music is great and the pastor is great to listen to. We ARE the church that would accept you coming for whatever your reasons are. Moderator cut: no advertising

Last edited by SunnyKayak; 12-21-2007 at 09:57 PM..

Old 12-21-2007, 09:42 PM

237 posts, read 234,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Wissa View Post
We would welcome you at our church! We go to Elevation Church which is a non denominational church. The music is great and the pastor is great to listen to. We ARE the church that would accept you coming for whatever your reasons are. Check out the web site www.elevationchurch.org
As far as I go promoting a specific church is the equivalent of promoting a specific business or more closely, a specific non profit> can people promote non profits here?

Old 12-21-2007, 10:25 PM

3,662 posts, read 8,669,842 times
ahem...I've heard great things about Elevation although I've never been there myself: http://www.elevationchurch.org/

Old 12-22-2007, 09:11 AM

674 posts, read 604,355 times
Hey everyone I am heading to Danbury NC to hang with the Hare Krishnas to meet new people tomorrow if anyone wants to carpool

Old 12-22-2007, 12:33 PM

13 posts, read 61,209 times
If you like the idea of church without having to accept a set theology, you might be interested in the Unitarian Universalist church of Charlotte. People of all religions come together in UU congregations for fellowship and thoughtful conversation. (Really!)

Edited to add: I haven't made it over to the Charlotte congregation yet, so it's not a plug, just a (hopefully!) helpful idea.

Old 03-12-2011, 04:17 PM

4,083 posts, read 4,413,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PXH View Post
I'll be moving to Charlotte around February. I would like to meet new people, preferably my age (20-30) very quickly so I don't end up being a hermit my first month.

I've browsed this forum and gotten some good ideas. If there are the community meet-ups, I'd like to attend. I don't feel comfortable going up to random people in a bar and just start talking, so I probably won't be doing that.

Now, the churches. I'm interested in going to a church but I'm not a believer. I grew up in a Protestant household and went to some churches with friends when I was at the University. I like the community aspect of churches, and I think preachers are good public speakers, but I just can't embrace the concept of divinity. Back at home, no body really cared that I didn't believe in God, because they all know me outside of the church too. How is it in Charlotte? Will I be able to go and meet new people without them either shunning me for going and not believing or trying to enlighten me 24/7?

Thanks,
Look for a Unitarian Univeralist congregation.... There are a wide variety of people who are members and you can have your own ideas about G-d.

Old 03-13-2011, 01:12 PM

16 posts, read 30,185 times
Well, that's the point of church. If everyone who went to church were believers and doing what they were supposed to doing, there would be a different type of message. One time I told my daughter "don't worry about it, we're in church and no one would pick up your stuff". She asked, "mom if only Christians go to church how do non-christians become christians". Spoken from the mouth of babes! Just have an open mind and have fun!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte