Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2007, 10:43 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,522,515 times

Advertisements

MODERATORE NOTE:

I Know religion and politics can be dicey subjects just a reminder from the TOS

Quote:
Be civil, no personal attacks, flaming, or insults. We may attack ideas (politely) but we do no attack the speaker of the idea. Be careful with your words, there is a point where being direct crosses a line into blunt, in-your-face hostility. Please, report bad posts instead of engaging in flame wars on the boards.
Great job trying to discuss orignal poster just veer away from debating each other.
Thanks

Old 12-14-2007, 11:31 PM

7,305 posts, read 28,228,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Union county hopeful View Post
As a Christian - I would welcome a non-believer in my church in hopes to turn their belief around - come on over!!
Yep - good advice! When the time is right and the call is there, it will happen... you just have to keep an open mind. I was 13 when I received the call.... hard to believe its been 18 years! I am personally between churches... some crazy things happened @ one of my churches and my other church (grandmas old church), the pastor was getting Alzheimer's and was running people off - literally, so we stopped going there. I have a cousin that is a pastor of a church, but I have never felt comfortable around them (he and his family). They seem to be "better than thou", if you know what I mean, so I stay away. I will find the right church... there are hundreds of churches here. My aunts sister in law is a Catholic and they have been wanting me to go there, but I am a Baptist, but I would not mind visiting the Catholic church as their guest.

I hope all works out well for you!

Old 12-15-2007, 08:09 PM

92 posts, read 318,027 times
Default sing a little bit of them religion blues....

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnW View Post
Moderator cut: orphaned
Moderator cut: Flaming & Off topic
As for the original poster, go to church for whatever reason you want....they'll be glad to have you. I believe in God and Christ and have such a good spiritual relationship with God. Churches are being looked at as a networking place and it sucks...but whatever...all I need is me and my family praising the Lord and I have church.

Last edited by SunnyKayak; 12-16-2007 at 12:54 PM..

Old 12-16-2007, 08:33 AM

674 posts, read 804,895 times
I think all the Christians on here need to think of it this way when answering the OP's question: if YOU were new to an area, would you think it is a good idea to go hang out with Hare Krishnas each week, and "worship" with them just to meet people? NO, because it does not fit your beliefs. Would not make much sense, would it?

I just think it is kind of weird to sit in a pew to worship a God you don't believe in to meet people. So again, to answer OP's question: You CAN go to church, but why would you want to if you don't believe?

Old 12-16-2007, 08:42 AM

58 posts, read 181,621 times
Well said!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncisgreat View Post
I think all the Christians on here need to think of it this way when answering the OP's question: if YOU were new to an area, would you think it is a good idea to go hang out with Hare Krishnas each week, and "worship" with them just to meet people? NO, because it does not fit your beliefs. Would not make much sense, would it?

I just think it is kind of weird to sit in a pew to worship a God you don't believe in to meet people. So again, to answer OP's question: You CAN go to church, but why would you want to if you don't believe?

Old 12-16-2007, 08:49 AM

10,007 posts, read 11,161,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncisgreat View Post

You know . you are right. Bu more importantly, you will be BORED out of your mind and even more importantly, it might leave you a little ticked off if you actually listen to the teachings and don't believe. My wife got me to go a few times. I enjoyed going with her and my son but have stopped now due to the fact I don't believe one iota of the nonsense being taught nor do I have any desire to. So my vote would be no. You are wasting your time and energy. As a side note try the Universalist U churches. Its more an open discussion than a believe this or you'll go to hell scenario. I was able to tolerate that church.

Old 12-16-2007, 09:42 PM

5,137 posts, read 16,588,833 times
Maybe you'll find a church that actually prays.

Most churches sing for 1hr....preach for 30mins...and pray for 4-5mins.

Everyone is TIRED of hearing the same old message about going to hell....about fighting lions, tigers, and bears oh my!

Find yourself a Church that has the true power.....when you go there...people get healed of back problems, cancer, sicknesses, etc.

The Kingdom of God isnt in word but POWER!
This was said by Jesus!

Just remember that if you start going to church.....there will usually be 1-2 ppl praying for you from that church.

Old 12-19-2007, 01:14 PM
bkp

3 posts, read 6,515 times
I am a minister myself and I believe that people are drawn to certain places for a reason. Whether you believe in God or not does not mean that you cannot attend a church. You would be surprised how many people attend church for other reasons besides God. I would certainly hope that over time your opinions would change, but if not, that is fine. If nothing else, having close Christian friends can be a great help through life.

Old 12-19-2007, 06:42 PM

674 posts, read 804,895 times
Quote:
You would be surprised how many people attend church for other reasons besides God.
Wow, what a colossal waste of time.

Church is primarily for worship. If one wants friends and does not believe in God, one is better off at a weekly Bunco club.

That's like a believer in Christ going to a Muslim mosque weekly to make friends. Um, MAKES NO SENSE

Old 12-20-2007, 06:25 AM

4,222 posts, read 7,898,822 times
That is just like me, an illiterate person, hanging around the library trying to meet women. Actually, I am just kidding about me hanging around a library and being illiterate. But I am sure that it is a valid analogy anyway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte