Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2014, 04:27 AM

370 posts, read 543,519 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris197337 View Post
I wasn't bored when I lived in London, nor am I if I go to New York.

I've lived in Charlotte for 18 months now and I can't think of a single thing I look back on and think it was a good experience which enriched my life, or was cool. I A few things that that have happened when I went away for days or a week though.

The bars are dull (expect for maybe a few in Plaza Midwood), the restaurants are bland, as I said on the other thread; the only thing to do here is go somewhere else for a weekend. It's just a sterile wannabe place for people who can't (or don't want to) hack it in a proper city.

Boring people adapt to and accept boring places.
Wait wait wait...London and New York have more to do than Charlotte!?!??

I'm stunned.

You keep fighting that good fight for us boring people though. You must be so exciting by comparison.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2014, 06:24 AM

8,851 posts, read 5,860,814 times
My grandparents used to live in Charlotte, so I used to visit a lot through the 80s/90s before it became a 'big city.' I was back there for the first time a couple of summers ago, and while the downtown was really clean and well-built, it just didn't have that 'energy' I'm used to seeing in the city. The city seemed practically empty on the Friday and Saturday that I was there. Not a lot of foot traffic or people walking around downtown.

That being said, I think whether or not you find it boring will depend on where you are coming from, and the group of people you are with. If you are coming from NYC, you may find it boring, but if you are more into the types of things that Charlotte can offer, you would probably find Charlotte to be just fine. A lot of it depends on the personality of the person and where they are coming from. Also, your social circle in a city will play a big role as to whether you find a place boring or not.

Old 12-12-2014, 08:20 AM

15,355 posts, read 12,638,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris197337 View Post
There are jobs here, doesn't mean it's popular, just that it's a viable choice relative to the cost of living.
you can't change the definition of popular just because you don't like the city.

Old 12-12-2014, 09:25 AM

370 posts, read 543,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by personone View Post
My grandparents used to live in Charlotte, so I used to visit a lot through the 80s/90s before it became a 'big city.' I was back there for the first time a couple of summers ago, and while the downtown was really clean and well-built, it just didn't have that 'energy' I'm used to seeing in the city. The city seemed practically empty on the Friday and Saturday that I was there. Not a lot of foot traffic or people walking around downtown.

That being said, I think whether or not you find it boring will depend on where you are coming from, and the group of people you are with. If you are coming from NYC, you may find it boring, but if you are more into the types of things that Charlotte can offer, you would probably find Charlotte to be just fine. A lot of it depends on the personality of the person and where they are coming from. Also, your social circle in a city will play a big role as to whether you find a place boring or not.
This is a very appropriate evaluation. I don't think Charlotte is boring. I do however, believe it is much more boring than say, Chicago, or NYC, or London...lol. Obviously.

Ultimately, if you have a great social circle, Fargo ND is going to be fun for you.

Charlotte isn't dynamic, it's moving in that direction, but not there yet. I feel like that is more of what you are inferring here, that feeling of being on street and getting that "city vibe". I've only recently began to notice an actual shift to being like "wow, this may actually be starting to become a BIG city".

That said, I'd like to believe your life is what you make of it, and not blame 18 months of "non-meaningful" moments on the place you live, but rather take a look at yourself. (referring to the prior post, not you).

As I've said on here quite a few times, Charlotte has cultural options abound, athletic events regularly, bars and breweries (AWARD WINNING, btw), plenty of great restaurants that aren't chains and on and on. They will not however, show up and knock on your front door.

Old 12-12-2014, 02:54 PM

9 posts, read 9,330 times
guess it all depends on your situation - being compared with major metropolitan areas I guess you could make that distinction. Ive been here for over 10 yrs and really enjoy it and of course for me like the fact that there are a lot of outdoor things to do. If you like craft beer (as mentioned before) there is a growing scene in the city, also if you like visiting wineries and vineyards there are quite a bit to chose from in multiple directions that make for a really cool day trip from here. Like I said, it will depend on the individual but there have been other cities that don't have these things available either.

Old 12-12-2014, 03:00 PM

136 posts, read 106,237 times
I don't know why people insist on comparing Charlotte to NYC or London. Its not nearly on that scale. Its a smaller city, but for a smaller city there is plenty to do with many options. Go spend a weekend in Pittsburgh or Detroit, see how fast you wish you were back in Charlotte

Old 12-12-2014, 03:51 PM

9 posts, read 9,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plutark Evansby View Post
I don't know why people insist on comparing Charlotte to NYC or London. Its not nearly on that scale. Its a smaller city, but for a smaller city there is plenty to do with many options. Go spend a weekend in Pittsburgh or Detroit, see how fast you wish you were back in Charlotte
been to Pitt in the summer, not that bad of place (I still prefer Charlotte and was happy to be back) in the winter HECK NO, Detroit, the thought of going there has never crossed my mind.

Old 12-12-2014, 03:55 PM

415 posts, read 606,739 times
To me it's nothing Charlotte does or does not have that makes it boring. It's the atmosphere, which in my opinion is either slightly uptight or slightly country depending on the area of Charlotte. It's the demeanor of a lot of the people (obviously a generalization.) Charlotte has a lot of things going for it but as a newcomer, I do find it to have boring vibe compared to other big cities I've been to. Again not for lack of amenities but more lack of artsy or fun loving vibe. That's not a bad thing depending on what you are looking for.

Old 12-12-2014, 04:07 PM

136 posts, read 106,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metairie View Post
To me it's nothing Charlotte does or does not have that makes it boring. It's the atmosphere, which in my opinion is either slightly uptight or slightly country depending on the area of Charlotte. It's the demeanor of a lot of the people (obviously a generalization.) Charlotte has a lot of things going for it but as a newcomer, I do find it to have boring vibe compared to other big cities I've been to. Again not for lack of amenities but more lack of artsy or fun loving vibe. That's not a bad thing depending on what you are looking for.
i don't know how you classify Charlotte as a "big city"? NY, Chicago, LA, Houston are "big cities". Charlotte is not on that scale, don't know if it will ever get to that level

Old 12-13-2014, 04:54 AM

645 posts, read 1,068,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metairie View Post
You need to look around and smell the roses, Metairie. Charlotte is no Fat City, but it does have curling now, as well as a NASCAR museum, a nice lake where you can cruise in your $250,000.00 yacht, and there's even man-made white water rafting! Charlotte is FUN CITY! C'mon, man!

And if you keep your eyes open, you'll see some absolutely spectacular, breath-taking one-car accidents in which the vehicle lands atop a tree. Beats the heck out of any sunrise.

You want artsy? Go to NaDa Gallery crawls and meet some of the hippest hipsters ever!

Season tickets to a Panthers game cost as little as $550.00! That's cheap and accessible to everyone. (Okay, it's on the nose bleed deck, but it's a good place to practice diaphragmatic breathing).

Stop complaining. Charlotte is where it's at.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte