Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2014, 10:28 AM

37,881 posts, read 41,933,711 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CU1986 View Post
I'm black and when I was single I had fun in Charlotte, Atlanta nightlife is kind of trashy to me, I preferred DC's night life. DC was more classy and upscale
DC's nightlife is cool, but it can be a bit more pretentious too so that's the trade-off. I like the fact that Atlanta's nightlife gives you more of a mix--ratchet, midscale, upscale, etc. Only the hood parts give you "trashy;" you definitely didn't find that back in the day in Buckhead Village or today on Crescent Street in Midtown. And Charlotte's nightlife is definitely on the up and up. I enjoyed it when I lived there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2014, 11:38 AM

7,076 posts, read 12,345,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldschoolChevy View Post
That's why I made it a point to say my age, sex and race. When it comes to the things that most people like me are into, Charlotte is boring if you're single. If you took a nationwide poll of Black men and asked them which city would they rather be single in almost none would pick Charlotte over Atlanta. And yes strip clubs are apart of our culture in Atlanta, some are like normal clubs actually. It's not a big deal to us. CLT tried to re-create that vibe strip club/night club vibe with Cameo's, but its not even in the same ballpark. The Black culture in Charlotte is vanilla as hell compared to Atlanta. The ratchet spots are lame and the upscale networking events are ok but their not as good as back home. I like Charlotte though, it's safe and clean and there is a lot of money here to be made as well.
I honestly think Charlotte makes up for what you've stated with the CIAA tournament. I can't post most pics and youtube videos of that annual event here (explicit content and language), but you can certainly feel free to search them at your leisure. As for Cameos, look up "Drake drops $50k" and then check out the images.

One other thing to note is the fact that Atlanta is more deep-south than Charlotte. Just look at the southern black population percentage of Georgia vs NC's southern black percentage. Culturally, Columbia SC probably has more in common with Atlanta than Charlotte does. Not to sound mean, but if Charlotte became too inundated with black culture, "other cultures" would begin to avoid Charlotte more (similarly to how Fulton, DeKalb, and Clayton especially are avoided by many in metro Atlanta).

"If you took a nationwide poll of Black men and asked them which city would they rather be single in almost none would pick Charlotte over Atlanta."

^^^Is this a poll of straight black men? There's NOTHING wrong with being gay or "on the down-low". However, it's a known FACT that Atlanta is very open when it comes to multiple sexual flavors. Even though it's 2014 and homosexual equality has come a long way (which is a good thing IMO), there are still many black men nationally who would not choose Atlanta due to the city's Black single-gay openness.

Old 10-03-2014, 03:11 PM

1,490 posts, read 2,100,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancharlotte View Post
I honestly think Charlotte makes up for what you've stated with the CIAA tournament. I can't post most pics and youtube videos of that annual event here (explicit content and language), but you can certainly feel free to search them at your leisure. As for Cameos, look up "Drake drops $50k" and then check out the images.

One other thing to note is the fact that Atlanta is more deep-south than Charlotte. Just look at the southern black population percentage of Georgia vs NC's southern black percentage. Culturally, Columbia SC probably has more in common with Atlanta than Charlotte does. Not to sound mean, but if Charlotte became too inundated with black culture, "other cultures" would begin to avoid Charlotte more (similarly to how Fulton, DeKalb, and Clayton especially are avoided by many in metro Atlanta).

"If you took a nationwide poll of Black men and asked them which city would they rather be single in almost none would pick Charlotte over Atlanta."

^^^Is this a poll of straight black men? There's NOTHING wrong with being gay or "on the down-low". However, it's a known FACT that Atlanta is very open when it comes to multiple sexual flavors. Even though it's 2014 and homosexual equality has come a long way (which is a good thing IMO), there are still many black men nationally who would not choose Atlanta due to the city's Black single-gay openness.
CIAA is 1 weekend a year, 1 weekend out of 52. And I've been there and done that, came up for CIAA once while I was still in school and I went a few years ago too. You'd be shocked at how many people in Atlanta don't even know or care about CIAA or even make an effort to come. It's not really on our radar like that, we go to the Bayou Classic in New Orleans or Memorial Day wknd in Miami. The majority of people who come here for CIAA are from DC, Maryland, Philly and NYC anyway. I actually got put onto CIAA by my cousins in Philly, first time I went my homeboys back home was like "what the hell is CIAA?" To be honest there is nothing special about it. Probably why no one back home gives a **** about it either.

And you sound foolish trying to act like people just avoid the areas you listed en masse, last I checked Buckhead, Midtown, and NE Atlanta (VaHi, Poncey, Edgewood, Lenox Park) where all in Fulton County, ditto for Brookhaven, DT Decatur and Druid Hills/Emory in Dekalb County. And last I checked those areas are on par or a lot nicer than anything here in Charlotte. ClayCo is pretty much avoided by all both black and white unless you live there, but to be honest ClayCo's reputation is a lot worse than how it actually is. People here in CLT would probably think its a war zone though, seeing as how yall call places like Hidden Valley and West Charlotte "the hood".

LOL.. and I see what you did there with your tangent on gay people. Since you are throwing barbs/shots I'll have some of my own later. Yes it's not a secret that Atlanta has a high gay population both black and white. I think we are right behind Frisco and a few other cities in that regard, but the thing is we don't bat an eye at it, not one bit. We let them live because they deserve to live their life just as much as anyone else. And the simple fact you felt the need to type a disclaimer -"There's nothing wrong with being gay" pretty much shows your backwards thinking on that subject. And to be blunt people who say things like that back home are usually the ones who have some personal inner turmoil when it comes to that particular subject. Are you not sure secure enough in your manhood that you aren't even comfortable being around gay people? Do you think that they will somehow come too close to you and turn you gay? If you're not gay then don't worry about them, if anything that means more women for you. You pretty much just confirmed every notion we have back home about Blacks in CLT-you guys are slow and backwards thinking.

And it shows in every aspect of life here. The white people here don't respect yall..... not one bit. I haven't even been here a year and I have seen White people say and do things that I would never see or hear back home. And thats not to say that White folks in Atlanta are any different in their like or dislike of us as they are here, but the main difference is that they respect us in Atlanta. Like us or not that have to deal with us in Atlanta, on any level-in the streets or in the board room. White people only respect money and power, of which the Black community here in CLT has neither. There is no hustle and no drive among the Black folks here by and large. When I first got here I made it a point to go to as many networking events here as I could and I was really let down by the lack of Black entrepreneurship here. All the money in this city and Blacks here are just content with sitting on the porch and drinking here basically. But to be honest once again the secret about Charlotte is out back home, a lot of us are turning our eyes here to come here and make money. Yall better get off the snide and get a piece of the pie because we are coming and we will get our slice. TRUST THAT HOMIE. That's the only thing that matters to us in Atlanta-MONEY. We dont care if you're straight, gay, white, black or purple. If you aint talking about getting money then K.I.M. (keep it movin')

Last edited by oldschoolChevy; 10-03-2014 at 03:29 PM..

Old 10-03-2014, 11:53 PM

3,866 posts, read 4,278,029 times
Quote:
CIAA is 1 weekend a year, 1 weekend out of 52. And I've been there and done that, came up for CIAA once while I was still in school and I went a few years ago too. You'd be shocked at how many people in Atlanta don't even know or care about CIAA or even make an effort to come. It's not really on our radar like that, we go to the Bayou Classic in New Orleans or Memorial Day wknd in Miami. The majority of people who come here for CIAA are from DC, Maryland, Philly and NYC anyway. I actually got put onto CIAA by my cousins in Philly, first time I went my homeboys back home was like "what the hell is CIAA?" To be honest there is nothing special about it. Probably why no one back home gives a **** about it either.

And you sound foolish trying to act like people just avoid the areas you listed en masse, last I checked Buckhead, Midtown, and NE Atlanta (VaHi, Poncey, Edgewood, Lenox Park) where all in Fulton County, ditto for Brookhaven, DT Decatur and Druid Hills/Emory in Dekalb County. And last I checked those areas are on par or a lot nicer than anything here in Charlotte. ClayCo is pretty much avoided by all both black and white unless you live there, but to be honest ClayCo's reputation is a lot worse than how it actually is. People here in CLT would probably think its a war zone though, seeing as how yall call places like Hidden Valley and West Charlotte "the hood".

LOL.. and I see what you did there with your tangent on gay people. Since you are throwing barbs/shots I'll have some of my own later. Yes it's not a secret that Atlanta has a high gay population both black and white. I think we are right behind Frisco and a few other cities in that regard, but the thing is we don't bat an eye at it, not one bit. We let them live because they deserve to live their life just as much as anyone else. And the simple fact you felt the need to type a disclaimer -"There's nothing wrong with being gay" pretty much shows your backwards thinking on that subject. And to be blunt people who say things like that back home are usually the ones who have some personal inner turmoil when it comes to that particular subject. Are you not sure secure enough in your manhood that you aren't even comfortable being around gay people? Do you think that they will somehow come too close to you and turn you gay? If you're not gay then don't worry about them, if anything that means more women for you. You pretty much just confirmed every notion we have back home about Blacks in CLT-you guys are slow and backwards thinking.

And it shows in every aspect of life here. The white people here don't respect yall..... not one bit. I haven't even been here a year and I have seen White people say and do things that I would never see or hear back home. And thats not to say that White folks in Atlanta are any different in their like or dislike of us as they are here, but the main difference is that they respect us in Atlanta. Like us or not that have to deal with us in Atlanta, on any level-in the streets or in the board room. White people only respect money and power, of which the Black community here in CLT has neither. There is no hustle and no drive among the Black folks here by and large. When I first got here I made it a point to go to as many networking events here as I could and I was really let down by the lack of Black entrepreneurship here. All the money in this city and Blacks here are just content with sitting on the porch and drinking here basically. But to be honest once again the secret about Charlotte is out back home, a lot of us are turning our eyes here to come here and make money. Yall better get off the snide and get a piece of the pie because we are coming and we will get our slice. TRUST THAT HOMIE. That's the only thing that matters to us in Atlanta-MONEY. We dont care if you're straight, gay, white, black or purple. If you aint talking about getting money then K.I.M. (keep it movin')
The CIAA is one of if not the oldest HBCU conference in the US and is responsible for educating and training hundreds of thousands of black people. Probably a little reading to appreciate the significance of the CIAA aside from party aspects would be helpful. Originally it was comprised of schools in NC, VA, MD and DC...including NC A&T, Howard, Norfolk State, Hampton, etc that have now moved on to so-called greener pastures. Although these schools are no longer conference members, many of their alumni still attend events. The CIAA basketball tournament isn't really about a "party" but a celebration of educated Black folk and serves as a regional homecoming that has morphed into a national brand of sorts.

A lot of people from "up" north attended CIAA schools in addition to reconnecting with extended families in the south, so the strong connection is apparent. I was born and raised in NC and most black people in NC migrate/migrated points northward for jobs, etc so places like Atlanta and points southward were foreign to me for a long time until later on in life (other than a connecting flight).

A lot of people from large cities/metro become extremely city/metro-centric to the point of ad nauseam. It becomes their calling card and instantly revert to that perceived superiority complex to belittle other places.

Maybe Black people in Charlotte aren't backwards thinking but maybe it's you...change your mindset and change your world. Also, I think getting away from Atlanta-world is a good thing in your case. Go on and marinate on that for minute....

Last edited by Big Aristotle; 10-04-2014 at 12:01 AM..

Old 10-04-2014, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancharlotte View Post
Are you aware that the city of Atlanta has been undergoing pretty rapid gentrification (by White people) and the Black population has been declining since the middle of the previous decade? http://www.nytimes.com/2006/03/11/na...anted=all&_r=0

As for DeKalb County, it is one of the most diverse in the state. Perimeter Center is the largest office market in metro Atlanta (and the state) and spans the Fulton/DeKalb border. Going further up, Sandy Springs, Roswell, Alpharetta, Milton, and John's Creek--all in Fulton County--are very affluent cities. Now Clayton County doesn't have the best reputation this is true, but as far as Fulton and DeKalb go, that's not an accurate claim at all.

As far as Columbia and Atlanta go, you probably have a point there and is something I've noticed myself. Both cities are state capitals, were burned during the Civil War, have large universities downtown, more than one HBCU, an all-female college, have "Five Points" neighborhoods, have zoos, have medical schools, etc.

Old 10-04-2014, 10:27 AM

Quote:
As CIAA has gotten bigger and better, it's now on a lot of people's radar from Atlanta. It even gets mentions on V-103 and other urban radio stations here.

Old 10-05-2014, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
As CIAA has gotten bigger and better, it's now on a lot of people's radar from Atlanta. It even gets mentions on V-103 and other urban radio stations here.
True but it's still a mostly DC - NY type of event. More folks know about it but it's not like the A is empty on CIAA wknd. You ever notice how during a Super Bowl wknd or an NBA All Star wknd how the clubs in the A will be dead because everyone went out of town to go to those events? CIAA wknd doesn't have that effect.

Old 10-05-2014, 01:52 PM

Quote:
True but it's still a mostly DC - NY type of event. More folks know about it but it's not like the A is empty on CIAA wknd. You ever notice how during a Super Bowl wknd or an NBA All Star wknd how the clubs in the A will be dead because everyone went out of town to go to those events? CIAA wknd doesn't have that effect.
I've near really noticed that about clubs during those weekends, especially if the All-Star game or Super Bowl isn't in a nearby city (but then again, I don't really frequent the glitzy spots where celebrities regularly make appearances). But I agree that CIAA is mostly a mid-Atlantic type of event because there are no CIAA schools south of NC. But it's definitely gotten more attention in Atlanta within the past few years, to the point where it was rumored that the tournament was moving to Atlanta.

Old 10-05-2014, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
I've near really noticed that about clubs during those weekends, especially if the All-Star game or Super Bowl isn't in a nearby city (but then again, I don't really frequent the glitzy spots where celebrities regularly make appearances). But I agree that CIAA is mostly a mid-Atlantic type of event because there are no CIAA schools south of NC. But it's definitely gotten more attention in Atlanta within the past few years, to the point where it was rumored that the tournament was moving to Atlanta.
Not everywhere of course, if you go to a spot like MJQ on Ponce or some hipster dive bar you probably wouldn't be able to tell. But somewhere like Onyx or Vanquish will be noticeably light on a Super Bowl weekend, especially if it's in NO, Tampa or Miami. And CIAA needs to stay in CLT. These folks would lose it if that happens. And rightfully so, I would figure that event brings in boat loads of cash. Plus I don't think they could have that in Atlanta without some fools messing it up for everybody else. I think CIAA is in the right place

Old 10-05-2014, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Not everywhere of course, if you go to a spot like MJQ on Ponce or some hipster dive bar you probably wouldn't be able to tell. But somewhere like Onyx or Vanquish will be noticeably light on a Super Bowl weekend, especially if it's in NO, Tampa or Miami. And CIAA needs to stay in CLT. These folks would lose it if that happens. And rightfully so, I would figure that event brings in boat loads of cash. Plus I don't think they could have that in Atlanta without some fools messing it up for everybody else. I think CIAA is in the right place
Yes, the tournament definitely belongs in Charlotte and if it were to move, it should be to a city/state with a CIAA presence at the least. I'm glad it didn't come here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte