U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2007, 11:50 AM

4,730 posts, read 17,765,382 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CouponJack View Post
I noticed that also when I took the train over the weekend.

I'm stunned that there aren't any turnstyles at each station. Do they actually think people will keep using the "honor" system?
Tunrstiles are very expensive to operate and maintain. With Cats rail system being only one 10 mile line, it is actually cheaper to pay transit officers.

Los Angeles is switching to tunrstiles next year after having an honor system for a long time. It is to the point there now with increased ridership that the the turnstiles will save about $1 million annually.

Again, Buffalo's one line rail had no turnstiles either, but I remember being checked for my pass a few times, but probably less than 10 percent of all the times I rode in the "paid" zone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2007, 11:55 AM

474 posts, read 1,594,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CouponJack View Post
For everyone that says people are using monthly passes, that's fine, however there's no way for CATS to CHECK that these people actually have tickets....that lies in the problem.

There's gotta be a way I think they would want to have an accurate count along w/people not "riding for free"
CATS officers randomly walk up and down the train and ask to see your ticket. It's happened to me once and I've ridden the train twice. A $50 citation for not having a ticket is worth 38 rides at $1.30 / pop. I'd rather just buy the ticket than risk a $50 penalty, wouldn't you?

Old 12-11-2007, 12:00 PM

An End to the Free Ride on Trains in Los Angeles - The Lexington Dispatch

"The move came after a study given to the board in October found that some 5 percent of people who rode the subway, light rail and a new rapid bus line on weekdays did so without paying the fare, $1.25 one way or $5 for a daily pass. As a result, the report said, the authority lost about $5.5 million in revenue annually.

Fare-collecting gates, which could cost $30 million to install and $1 million a year to maintain, would yield an extra $6.77 million in recovered fares and other savings, according to the report. "

No more free rides in LA.

Old 12-11-2007, 12:29 PM

343 posts, read 442,813 times
Ive rode the train 4 times....Once the transit lady saw us purchasing the tickets...so she didnt check when we go on the train...i noticed she checked everyone that gone on the train when it stopped........2 other times i was asked to show a ticket...so far only once have i been not asked to show a ticket.

i think some people are just trying to find something negative to say about the rail.

Old 12-11-2007, 12:55 PM

2,560 posts, read 7,708,366 times
Light Rail is awesome. Glad that it has started up. I think I heard that the North Line would be open to some point in 2009/2010. Has anyone else heard anything about the North Line? Living Uptown now it makes it easier to take the Lynx train toanywhere on South Blvd to shop or eat if I can't do it Uptown.

Old 12-11-2007, 12:57 PM

870 posts, read 3,209,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catamount79 View Post
Ive rode the train 4 times....Once the transit lady saw us purchasing the tickets...so she didnt check when we go on the train...i noticed she checked everyone that gone on the train when it stopped........2 other times i was asked to show a ticket...so far only once have i been not asked to show a ticket.

i think some people are just trying to find something negative to say about the rail.

you just proved some of my point - 25% of the time, you were not checked.
now if you assume that ridership is close to 6000 per day and you miss 25% of the people, that's 1500 riders that could not be paying.

i have ridden the train every other day for the last two weeks, thats seven times plus going uptown for events. i have not been checked at least 60% of the time and i do not have a monthly or weekly pass.

i have not seen any negative comments on this post except to point out a major flaw in the system.

Old 12-11-2007, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by njmdpanc View Post
you just proved some of my point - 25% of the time, you were not checked.
now if you assume that ridership is close to 6000 per day and you miss 25% of the people, that's 1500 riders that could not be paying.

i have ridden the train every other day for the last two weeks, thats seven times plus going uptown for events. i have not been checked at least 60% of the time and i do not have a monthly or weekly pass.

i have not seen any negative comments on this post except to point out a major flaw in the system.
It's not a flaw. It's risk to cost ratio for one as well as encouragement for people new to mas transit. Generally, people prefer to be able to buy a ticket (the machines working probably is another issue) and get on the train without going through the turnstiles. It's is impossible to pay police to inspect EVERYONE on a train and as mentioned before, turnstiles are very expensive to operate. People walk out of stores with stoeln things all the time, but there are not enough police/security officers to inspect EVERY single person leaving a store. I think the best thing would actually be to install some type of barcode scanner.

Old 12-11-2007, 01:30 PM

870 posts, read 3,209,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by groove1 View Post
It's not a flaw. It's risk to cost ratio for one as well as encouragement for people new to mas transit. Generally, people prefer to be able to buy a ticket (the machines working probably is another issue) and get on the train without going through the turnstiles. It's is impossible to pay police to inspect EVERYONE on a train and as mentioned before, turnstiles are very expensive to operate. People walk out of stores with stoeln things all the time, but there are not enough police/security officers to inspect EVERY single person leaving a store. I think the best thing would actually be to install some type of barcode scanner.
I think a barcode system is a great idea. There are many ways to make that work and of course someone will find ways to beat it. The Atlanta MARTA is a combination barcode/turnstile.

Your point about people walking out of stores with merchandise takes me back to my original point - I will wind up paying more for a ride in order to make up the loss just like a retail store has to charge higher prices to people who pay, in order to make up their losses from theft.

Old 12-11-2007, 05:06 PM

9,114 posts, read 15,640,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catamount79 View Post

Oh please, give me a break.....

I made a suggestion to IMPROVE the system and you're knocking me for being negative......

And buddy, FYI, I enjoyed taking the rail and would do so again.

Where's your bright ideas?

Thought so.....next time add something useful.

Old 12-11-2007, 05:09 PM

9,114 posts, read 15,640,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njmdpanc View Post
I think a barcode system is a great idea. There are many ways to make that work and of course someone will find ways to beat it. The Atlanta MARTA is a combination barcode/turnstile.

Your point about people walking out of stores with merchandise takes me back to my original point - I will wind up paying more for a ride in order to make up the loss just like a retail store has to charge higher prices to people who pay, in order to make up their losses from theft.
Bingo, there's a great idea.

I guess its going to take some time before they crunch all the numbers and then the observer will do an article on how much revenue is lost vs. how much could be gained w/these different options...

Give it a couple of months
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte