Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2007, 12:05 PM

158 posts, read 543,687 times

Advertisements

If I have a New York driver's licence, do I need to change it once I move? How long do I have to do this and do I have to take any tests or just pay the fee?

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2007, 12:14 PM

474 posts, read 1,749,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nazira View Post
If I have a New York driver's licence, do I need to change it once I move? How long do I have to do this and do I have to take any tests or just pay the fee?

Thank you!
Not sure on the days - 30 or 60, I'd guess. You will have to take the written test if you're from out of state. If your DL is expired you have take the written and driving test. Be sure to study for the written test. Many out of staters fail it the first time because they assume it's easy and don't bother studying.

Old 12-11-2007, 12:18 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,518,175 times
Hi you will have up to 60 days to apply for a drivers license and you will have to take the written test due to the test covers items relating specific to North Carolina. The vision test is a test of your ability to read signs and know what they are.
The driving test is up to the officer doing the tests (generally you will by pass this step). Avoid going during the afternoon or school holidays, go when they open is best.

Here is the state provided guide for a newcomer.
NCDOT Division of Motor Vehicles: Newcomer's Guide (http://www.ncdot.org/dmv/moving/newnc/newComersGuide/ - broken link)
Make sure you have the correct documentation they are real picky about it being correct.
Some problems I have seen on this forum is laminated SS card or a SS card with just your middle initial. You may want to get a official county copy of your birth certificate before heading this way.

Old 12-11-2007, 12:27 PM

158 posts, read 543,687 times
Thank you very much, the Newcomer's Guide is very informative.

Does anyone know how hard it is to pass a driving test in NC?

My daughter is about to take the test here in NYC, but maybe it's better to just take one in Charlotte once we move.

Old 12-11-2007, 12:49 PM

51 posts, read 167,335 times
Default This should help!

I am about to take the NC driver's license test since my Ohio license will expire next month. I found this website while searching on this forum for information regarding the driving test.

Moderator cut: link removed
This guy gives you all the questions on the NC exam and then others have added questions that weren't on the original list. Hope this helps!! I will come back and let you know how it works once I take it. =)

Last edited by SunnyKayak; 02-18-2008 at 12:22 PM..

Old 12-11-2007, 12:52 PM

2,560 posts, read 8,554,005 times
Be sure to allow PLENTY of time at the DMV. Don't think you will ZIP in and out. Some people even take 1/2 day off work to get them cause the wait times are so long. Not always but most of the time. I personally have waited over 2 hrs before and was not a happy camper. Enjoy NC!

Old 12-11-2007, 12:56 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,518,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heatwomg View Post
I am about to take the NC driver's license test since my Ohio license will expire next month. I found this website while searching on this forum for information regarding the driving test.

Moderator cut: link removed
This guy gives you all the questions on the NC exam and then others have added questions that weren't on the original list. Hope this helps!! I will come back and let you know how it works once I take it. =)
That may be a decent cheat sheet to remind you of the questions in the handbook but assuming she has a daughter who is a new driver she will miss out the very informative handbook that will help her on how to deal with situations while driving.
For instance what to do when it does snow, fog, farm equipment, how to park on a hill.
It would be good for new resident from another state to know how things are dealt here like merging on a on ramp and dealing with the way we drive here.
If everyone understands and drives like the handbook suggest then we would have less road rage.

Last edited by SunnyKayak; 02-18-2008 at 12:22 PM..

Old 12-11-2007, 01:17 PM

1,800 posts, read 5,718,068 times
My two cents:
Get it over with ASAP.
Show up as EARLY as possible. Even before the DMV opens, there can sometimes be a long cue forming outside.
My husband and I showed up at around 8:00am and were done by noon.
READ THE BOOKLET!!!
Just because you've been driving for a gazillion years doesn't mean you'll know all NC driving rules. There are some trick questions on the test.
Good Luck!

Last edited by stmaarten; 12-11-2007 at 01:40 PM..

Old 12-11-2007, 02:06 PM

4,729 posts, read 19,427,768 times
The test is easy. I read the manual while waiting in line. Got two wrong out of 20. If moving to SC you do not need to take the exam.

Old 12-11-2007, 02:57 PM

247 posts, read 997,902 times
Test was very easy. However I had to wait 8 HOURS!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte